PDA

View Full Version : Stuff from LH Volume Zero

Garv
12-07-2001, 02:05 AM
I was doing a bit of reading in my LH Volume 0 and found some interesting information. I'll translate some of the text:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(p. 170)
...According to the interview, Akamatsu said the idea for creating 'Love Hina' came from the dating simulators that are on the market. He decided to set the story at a dormitory and factor in Tokyo Uni examinations.
Akamatsu answered, for 'the secret of this creation,' let us use these 3 cruxes(dating sim, dorm, exams) to look at Love Hina at different perspectives (straying a bit from this editor's interview topic).
The first crux is the dating simulator (also called girl game) The name speaks for itself what it is, and the girls are the main characters in this type of game. In particular 'Tokimeki Memorial' (1994) was the apex for this genre of game. In this game, there are 13 girl characters and the player has to, in 3 years of high school life, study, participate in school activities, and date your girlfriends on weekends. And there is that legendary tree where if your girlfriend confesses her love to you under that tree on graduation day , both lovers will achieve happiness. In the history of games, this was the 1st game to be classified in a genre of its own as the 'dating sim.' [some sentences I can't translate]. All the characters in 'Love Hina' were disposed, no doubt this was an exploitation of the 'dating sims' popularity..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't that interesting? I was gonna translate some more, but it took more time and effort than I realized and some sentences sound awkward. If you like LH, then you must like dating sims.... but there aren't any on the markets outside of Asia. The developers of these dating sims did make the correct decision for not exporting them outside Asia because it just isn't profitable (Konami in the case of Tokimemo). Ever hear some critics say, "these games are lame and are for loooosers, go out and get a real girlfriend" which is probably one of the reasons they don't get exported. Instead we get 'killing simulators' like Metal Gear Solid and the soon to be released MGS: Sons of Liberty (also by Konami, isn't it ironic?). What's your opinion on this?

On another matter, there is supposedly a translation of LH vol Zero done by 1 person. I suspect it's a fraud. The volume's about 250 pages and contains much more text than the comic. I wouldn't hold my breath for this.

cloakactive
13-07-2001, 01:42 PM
The Western Market isn't ready to accept the ideas of dating simulators.... especially since some of them are H games. :heh: Killing games such as metalgear, etc. etc. are more widely accepted (nice to know where our priorities are right?). My feelings? Actually i'm rather impartial to those facts.

One objection though.

If you like LH, then you must like dating sims

Thats not really true... I don't like dating sims.... so does that mean i dont' like LH? No. I like LH.... i just don't like dating sims.

Eh.... just felt like replying to this since no one replied to it.... and it looked kinda lonely.

Forever Z.E.R.O.
13-07-2001, 03:08 PM
I'd like to play one of the dating sims. I cant read japanese though, so I wont bother importing it. Just to see what its like. And I cant ask out girls, so if I hook up with a digital girl, I'd have some semblence of self esteem. Heh, I'm pathetic. Just kidding. I'd still like to see what those games are like though

Garv
13-07-2001, 05:51 PM
Thats not really true... I don't like dating sims.... so does that mean i dont' like LH? No. I like LH.... i just don't like dating sims.

Eh.... just felt like replying to this since no one replied to it.... and it looked kinda lonely.

Hello cloakactive. If you don't like dating sims, but like LH then what do you think of Love Hina for the PSX, DC, or GameBoy? They are supposedly classified as dating games with an LH theme.

Also, I read some news at a PC game/hardware site that Electronic Arts will be releasing an expansion pack for their "The Sims" called "The Sims Hot Date Expansion Pack." I predict it will have the same fate as Daikatana hehehe.

kakerjak
13-07-2001, 07:24 PM
dating simulators... why would people want to play those.. the real life version of the game is much more interesting ^_^

Mr_Bug
13-07-2001, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by kakerjak
dating simulators... why would people want to play those.. the real life version of the game is much more interesting ^_^

yeah, listen to him. He's got a lot of experience in that area! :D

Ikari_Asuka_Langley
13-07-2001, 07:40 PM
*confused* Um... I dunno I'd try playing it I'm sure I'd enjoy it more than I do MGS anyway... *shrugs* plus I bet there isn't one to win over guys is there? I'm not very good at it irl either way :heh:

Darklightz
13-07-2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Garv

If you don't like dating sims, but like LH then what do you think of Love Hina for the PSX, DC, or GameBoy? They are supposedly classified as dating games with an LH theme.

There's a difference between playing a dating sim with a bunch of lovesick girls and tp play with the LH crew whom we know well.

And the LH games are not just about dating.You get lots of "quests" to do.

Foryth
13-07-2001, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by kakerjak

One doesn't disable the other. ;)

Garv
13-07-2001, 11:49 PM
There's a difference between playing a dating sim with a bunch of lovesick girls and tp play with the LH crew whom we know well.

And the LH games are not just about dating.You get lots of "quests" to do.

Well okay. I haven't played the LH games thoroughly so maybe you are right about that, but the LH girls are undoubtely lovesick for Keitaro. Every succesive volume, they just get more lovesick.

I think the real problem is still the language barrier. If it weren't for the fan-subbers and fan-translators, people outside Asia wouldn't know about LH and would immediately dismiss it as lame/gay. Everyone should reserve judgement until they've at least tried and understand(dialogue, text, etc) these dating sims. I've played through Tokimemo and Sentimental Graffiti and I definately like them more than MGS or Quake. Right now, I'm trying to play White Album (a Leaf visual novel).

cloakactive
14-07-2001, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Garv

Hello cloakactive. If you don't like dating sims, but like LH then what do you think of Love Hina for the PSX, DC, or GameBoy? They are supposedly classified as dating games with an LH theme.

I dunno if you just wanted to sound rude, or you did not mean to be rude. :redhot: I don't like those games either. Even if they are LH! I like the manga better then the anime.

I don't like any dating sim games..... sorry. Even if it has LH in it! (the character designs or the game images.... sure i like it..... just don't like the games.) :p

Garv
14-07-2001, 01:33 AM
I dunno if you just wanted to sound rude, or you did not mean to be rude. I don't like those games either. Even if they are LH! I like the manga better then the anime.

I don't like any dating sim games..... sorry. Even if it has LH in it! (the character designs or the game images.... sure i like it..... just don't like the games.)

Did I sound rude? I wasn't trying to sound or be rude at all. I read your post and understood your opinion so no need to be angry.;)