PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for the dub fans

Sheex, The Dark Stalker
20-11-2001, 03:46 PM
According to what I heard at AnimeOnDVD (keep in mind this isn't confirmed yet, so there's always the chance that I could be wrong) Sony will be licensing the CB movie instead of Bandai. Which means there's quite a good chance that they'll say 'screw you' to Animaze and have movie stars dub it instead :( That'll suck, especially since CB has the best dub I've ever heard :(

IcedHildaChan
20-11-2001, 04:14 PM
Good thing I'm a sub fan...but that's a shame because the voices in Bebop are really good...for a dub. :) Where'd you get this stratch?

IcedHildaChan
20-11-2001, 04:16 PM
Nevermind about the question, just reread the post and got my answer...:sweatdrop

Fatal Outlaw
20-11-2001, 04:20 PM
CRAP! i love davide lucas and wendee lee! but theres a chance it can be good, mononoke was good dub by movie actors, lets just hope it will be good

Gundammi!
20-11-2001, 05:17 PM
I doubt that they'll change them. Sony will definetly liscense the movie since it released it in Japan theatrecally. Remember (this isn't a very good comparison) that Manga has the EVA movie and it's using the same vocie cast. Sony won't "screw" Animaze and ZRO Limit, they're plenty smart enough to know to keep the original English voice cast. If they just aren't dubbing it (which is doubtful considering DVD's ability to change voice tracks), well better no dub than no original cast.

BTW, if KOHD is released stateside in theaters (which I doubt) it shoudl use the Japanese version with subs. Foreign films gain more esteem when they have subtitles. It's a weird effect that subs have on critics. Of course, considering how good CB is, it wouldn't be a problem.

Makoto Hyuga
20-11-2001, 05:45 PM
To be completely honest, the VA for Bebop are the best. I can't picture Bebop w/o David Lucas, John Billingslea, or Wendee Lee. Anyone else agree that if they dub KOHD, they should keep the original dub cast?:confused:

Sheex, The Dark Stalker
20-11-2001, 05:47 PM
Yeah, but Sony isn't exactly comprable with Manga when it comes to anime... Although Manga loves to ---- us off with the delays, atleast they're a smaller company that will probably care somewhat about what the fans say to do. Sony's huge, and thus the likelihood of it listening to us fans about the dub actors will probably be much less. I don't exactly mind if they use a movie star for Vincent and that lady(damn, forgot her name :P) but if they replace any of the voices for the 4 main characters... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

TeldakSS
20-11-2001, 06:29 PM
seeing as how i have seen the CN run of bebop, i would wager to say bring on a better dub. Princess Mononoke was fifthteened (they added stuff: i.e. donkey p--- for soup. Donkies didn't exist in japan @ that time, those bakas). i would wager to say they won't listen to the sub thing, but it would probably be a better path.

Fatal Outlaw
20-11-2001, 09:39 PM
by gundammi!
that Manga has the EVA movie and it's using the same vocie cast.

the eva movies was sub-licensed with amanda winn lee's (VA of rei <hey that rhymes!> ) production company and thats why they have the same VA's

but there is a great chance that the bebop dub VA's will be used, ZRO LIMIT doesnt nesecarilly work for bandai (ive seen zro limit dubs in manga and pioneer too)

and lets look at the big picture here, the bebop movie will be licensed! we should be happy! not gloomy, and besides, theres always the sub

Gundammi!
20-11-2001, 10:51 PM
Are Amanda Win Lee and Wendee Lee related?

Sony would be really stupid if they didn't use ZRO Limit. They may be a omnicorperation but I'm sure it will be sold stateside by a smaller sub company like SPC or something. Who else would they go to anyway?

Drizzten
21-11-2001, 12:15 AM
Regardless of who buys the rights to the movie, the original English cast should be used. Those that think it's acceptable to use different VAs should be forced to listen to the many annoying changes in the DBZ English voice lineup. :down:

Dryden-san
21-11-2001, 12:50 AM
Since I don't think the Bebop movie is going to be released theatrically anyway, I suspect Sony will use the same voices. Now, they might be tempted to cast movie stars if it were to get a theaticral release, but it won't so they'll most liklely market it to the general anime crowd, or those who have seen the dub on Cartoon Network. With that target audience, it's only logical to keep the same voice actors who already have a proven following. Ah well, if it were shown in theaters, they could always use stars for the newly introduced characters... Let Christopher Walken do Vincent and notch another psycho role on his belt. Don't know about Rashid, the hacker and Electra, though. Anyone know an actress good at playing tough women?

IcedHildaChan
21-11-2001, 01:12 AM
Let Christopher Walken do Vincent and notch another psycho role on his belt. Don't know about Rashid, the hacker and Electra, though. Anyone know an actress good at playing tough women?

Hacker-Edward Norton(I can just see him saying, "oh, he died...")

Electra-Catherine Zeta Jones? Neve Campbell? Rebecca Gayheart?(It's actually hard to think of ones that could fit her)

Rashid-Some wise old guy...:lol:

Sheex, The Dark Stalker
21-11-2001, 09:19 AM
I'd prefer they stay with ZRO even for Vincent and the other new characters, although it won't be the end of the world if they don't. Melissa Williamson would be perfect for Electra, although since she was Julia they obviously can't use her for that role -_-

Fatal Outlaw
21-11-2001, 08:17 PM
there will be something missing if zro limit didnt dub bebop...the feeling wont be complete

ParticleEffect
26-11-2001, 11:34 AM
i liked the dub on CN. since everyone seems to know so much about who the actors were and such, is there a place i can read about them or something? can some point me in the right direction :)

kinda of topic but i noticed that in the dub on CN of gundam 0080, a scientest in a wheelchair has the exact same voice as jet. :)

Gundammi!
26-11-2001, 11:11 PM
That's because it's the same dubbing company. Or did Animevillage do 0080? Regardless, you can pick up a lot of CB VA's in 0080. Wendee Lee (Faye) did Cris I think and I know that David Lucas (Spike) did Al's dad. I only watch dubs done by ZRO Limit and their like.