PDA

View Full Version : motherboard's?

fireguy
01-01-2002, 07:05 PM
I will be upgrading my motherboard in the coming months from a ASUS A7V133 to a EpoX 8KHA+(which is a DDR RAM board only). My question is if their are any other DDR RAM only boards which would be as good or better than the 8KHA+?

raymojo
01-01-2002, 08:29 PM
THe EpoX board is an excellent board. You really can't go wrong with it, about equal performance to other KT266a mobos.
You might try looking at some boards with RAID, but they are always more pricey.

Nice thing about the 8KHA+ is that it supports a FSB of 166Mhz, which gives incredible boosts in terms of memory bandwidth intensive operations. Just make sure your RAM can handle it.

Takahashi
01-01-2002, 09:46 PM
I bought a Epox 8K7A+ for my little bro, DDR ram onboard raid and sound, its a lot faster than my own Asus A7V266. It works for a week without any problems and then it just died, the leds that suppose to help with the diagnose didn't work at all, so I send the Mobo back for repair, haven't got it back yet. I have good experience with Asus so even if the Epox is faster, I prefer the reliability and stable nature of Asus over any other brands. It might cost a little more, but the head ache it saves you is worth the extra buck IMO. I am currently running the Asus for over 5 month without trouble, just check my thread on the indurance test I am putting it through, currently over 18 days running without failure.

SaMADog
01-01-2002, 10:23 PM
i've never known anything better than the EpoX 8KHA+. (But i've got a Abit MB) One thing which annoyed me was on 8KHA+ was disabling onboard sound.

Ura
01-01-2002, 11:25 PM
What brings on this upgrade? If the Mobo is working fine I'd hang off and see where the AMD architecture goes, I mean with the lower micron fabrications that are coming in they might need lower voltages which current boards don't support.

Forsteen
02-01-2002, 02:00 AM
I kinda fried my EPOX one so I got the ASUS A7V 133. No problems yet.

Sakuya
02-01-2002, 02:25 AM
I'm using the Gigabyte 7DXR, sweetest mobo I've used and comes on a nice blue pcb board.

Anyway it's a DDR Mobo only with onboard raid using the AMD761 Chipset.

Feel free to click on here (http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/amd760comparo/default.asp) as it compares other DDR boards using the AMD761 chipset in performance.

Butters
02-01-2002, 06:47 AM
How many retailers sell the EPoX? I can't find any in Sydney. I heard it was an excellent motherboard, but I agree with Ura. You should keep the current mobo for a little longer if its working fine, unless you're getting a new computer. But hey, it's your money :)

Antioch-X
02-01-2002, 07:54 AM
I'm thinking of upgrading myself, and I've been doing some research on mobos, as far as I can tell the Soltek SL-75DRV2 is the way to go. www.tomshardware.com has a mobo shootout, take a look.