PDA

View Full Version : Gundam - Why is it so good?

Benard Strass
25-01-2002, 01:58 AM
What is it about big metal mechas bashing eachouther with assorted weaponry that is so enthralling?

I say this as i fell victum to the curse of gundam early on, the first gundam to be exact with our hereo "amaru" There was somthing about it while stupid and unplasuable, bouth exciting and amasing.

Granted some Gundams series were just bad, like G-gundam (street figheter anyone??):lol: but most were very good!

I say again what is it about big mechas!!! Macross Pluss was a good example of this (detail wise better thean gundam) and Gundam X, the 08th ms team, and currently Gundam wing

What do ya'll think about that

Westlo
25-01-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Benard Strass
What is it about big metal mechas bashing eachouther with assorted weaponry that is so enthralling?

Because it's such a difference then seeing martial artists bashing each other

Benard Strass
25-01-2002, 02:12 AM
good point, but still

Shenrezade
25-01-2002, 05:53 AM
I think it's because of what goes on with the pilots, not the suit battles. The battles are cool, but I get more involved with the problems and the life of the person piloting it. With a show like Dragon Ball Z, the conflict and character is "I must get stronger"
With the Gundam series, it's various things "What am I doing here? Why am I fighting? Can I go through with this? Was what I just did wrong? Why must we fight each other?" etc. etc. That kind of thing. The characters are just so human, we can't help but watch them.

Eddy
25-01-2002, 02:54 PM
It hink gundam is good for two reasons-

1.Machines of war and wars have been a form of great entertainment for a long time and just fascinate people (i.e. Star wars,the old war films,Indaina jones,pearl harbour,independance day, gundam,etc)

2. Gundam has a Political based storyline rather than a good vs evil which the western animators would have had. The fast moving pace of the politics and use of the gundam is unique. Plus the character devolopment

MauveVandal
25-01-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Benard Strass

I say this as i fell victum to the curse of gundam early on, the first gundam to be exact with our hereo "amaru" There was somthing about it while stupid and unplasuable, bouth exciting and amasing.

Granted some Gundams series were just bad, like G-gundam (street figheter anyone??):lol: but most were very good!

I say again what is it about big mechas!!! Macross Pluss was a good example of this (detail wise better thean gundam) and Gundam X, the 08th ms team, and currently Gundam wing

What do ya'll think about that

I believe Gundam is far more detailed than Macross Plus, but then again thats me. I find it interesting because, there is no good/evil just people, normal everyday people (exception would be NewTypes). Perhaps you should ask L_S why he likes Gundam!

Shenrezade
25-01-2002, 08:31 PM
I do not like the new types. Gundam would be just as good without them. But that's beside the point.

Now, there's something I wanna know, Strass. By detail, do you mean the Valkyries are better explained, or the show itself is more detailed? I liked Macross, and plan on getting it as soon as possible, but I liked the realism of Gundam more than Macross. I know Macross is also realistic, but the Zentradi cost the show points for me.

Benard Strass
26-01-2002, 06:42 AM
By detail I guess I ment in in a number of different ways. For all intents and purposes the Graphics are just plane better most liklly due to a large budget and the way the film was suposed to come out. How ever in mech realism, I'd have to go with the Valkyries since the alto of the tech isnt all that far off, to the exception to the fold boosters, and well robotechnolog. Were as the walking nucular reactors that are gundams are also my personal favorte, Wing Zero is a bit overkill : )

Parden the StarWars refferences....
Hey thers a good sized planetoid, lets blow it up with one shot!
:lol:

But as for sheer entertainment value, Gundams the only way to go.

Lt Zechs
26-01-2002, 09:42 AM
Why is Gundam so good?
I think its because its one of the ultimate dreams for people, I mean if you look further than the Gundam Universe there are massive robots/mecha everywhere and people love it. Nothing is more fun than moving around in massive war machines blowing things up and fighting for a good cause. What gives Gundam its personality was described above, the way they act, feel, and fight.
Its in more than just Anime as well, games like Mech Warrior and Heavy Gear are great fun, but combining the two having a Gundam game is even better.

Judai Ikari
26-01-2002, 01:46 PM
The moment questions like this begin to be asked, the world ends.

I agree with Westlo.

Off Topic: I was watching Batman (The Original) last night and Adam West says "If he touches Kitma I'll bash him to the ground!" Hilarious! Muahahahahahahaha! Nunununununununununununununununununu Batman!

Emma
27-01-2002, 02:05 AM
Gundam is good because it shows different faces of human. It doesn't matter if the person is a oldtype or newtype, they are just people. The teenage newtypes acts like teenagers; they whin, they cry. Nothing more human than that.

Black Vixen
27-01-2002, 09:14 AM
I like the way it shows both sides of the field - the 'good guys' and the 'bad guys', rather than just going on about 'oh, here's the heroes they're so cool - ah, bad guys *boom* oh well, there they go.' kinda thing.
Villians are so misunderstood.

Plus, it doesn't focus on one main character *coughGokucough* and shows more than just the battles to make it interesting.

The whole guerilla warfare in Gundam Wing is cool too, rather than just jumping in and getting blown up, they actually plan things out and then if things do go wrong then it is left to blow the hell out of everything.
'Self detonation' or self sacrifice is good, because it shows that they can and will do pretty much anything to the piont of giving their lives for peace.
(Excepting Duo - cause his one never seems to work.)

And also, (in Wing) Wufei is bent on doing things ' the right way' and with 'honour'. This is important to me. Although Wufei may do well to ease up on himself - the things he puts himself through can seem pointless and painful, but it is good to see that his rules system apply to him aswell, rather than just to everyone else but.

One thing I don't like about Gundam Wing, is Relena. As far as I can tell they didn't have the pacifist nut in every other Gundam series, but hey, you can't have it all. :D

Hanamichi
17-03-2002, 11:51 PM
Well,the fact that Gundams have more interesting or cool fights,some of them are really powerful & strong and no one can beat them,plus cool stories.......^_^