PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me why everybody here hates Gundam Wing?


FishNChips
17-04-2002, 11:53 PM
I saw the whole series on CN (Uncut, Dubbed) and I actually thought it was a really good show. Yes, I know the main character is an errogant immortal jerk, but so do alot of anime characters. And they also had an explanation of his powers. Kinda... I was just wondering if someone could hive me a really good reason for hating this series. And not something dumb like "the dubbing's bad":rolleyes:

Eddy
18-04-2002, 03:34 AM
well not only does teh deubb suck which i'm not all that bothered by, but ALL the gundam pilots are MALE, where's the diversity or nfun in that? the animation is pretty cheap and the gundams themselves don't make sense...how do tehy move them from one side of the globe to another with such ease? why does heero's rifle not need a power source? How did heero survive a large fall onto a jagged cliff? who are they working for? why is releena such a fool? why can't any of the main characters die?etc,etc

MauveVandal
18-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by FishNChips
I saw the whole series on CN (Uncut, Dubbed) and I actually thought it was a really good show. Yes, I know the main character is an errogant immortal jerk, but so do alot of anime characters. And they also had an explanation of his powers. Kinda... I was just wondering if someone could hive me a really good reason for hating this series. And not something dumb like "the dubbing's bad":rolleyes:

Actually a lot of people like GWing, a lot more people than you think. Stupid majority rule, blah.

hellblizzerd
18-04-2002, 07:39 PM
yea gw is fine and if you want cheap animation watch Moblie Suit Gundam

Emma
18-04-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by hellblizzerd
yea gw is fine and if you want cheap animation watch Moblie Suit Gundam

Comparing to other animations made at the same period of time, the animation of MSG is not cheap at all. It is just old in today's standard. However, the animation of GW is actually quite cheap comparing to the other animation made at the same time. It is made in 1994/1995 but the quality is not even as good as Victory Gundam (1992/1993).

Black_Knight
18-04-2002, 10:58 PM
Four simple words…

"The Gundam Cheapness Effect"

Gundammi!
18-04-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Black_Knight
Four simple words…

"The Gundam Cheapness Effect"

Sad but true. Don't let it discourage you, though. You should just ignore it and don't let it ruin your fun.

DarkMagician
19-04-2002, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Black_Knight
Four simple words…

"The Gundam Cheapness Effect"


Yeah, but don't feel bad about it. EVERY Gundam series has this. It's just that Wing has a lot more of it.

MauveVandal
19-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by hellblizzerd
yea gw is fine and if you want cheap animation watch Moblie Suit Gundam

I thought the animation for Gundam was great regardless of being made in 1979.

FishNChips
19-04-2002, 04:06 PM
The Gundam cheapness effect???

James
19-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by FishNChips
The Gundam cheapness effect???


Better to just not ask...:lol:

DarkPrimus
19-04-2002, 09:04 PM
Check out the giant thread entitled "The Gundam Cheapness Effect" or something like that to find out what we mean...

Jinnei
20-04-2002, 01:34 AM
As I like to say:
-Gundam Wing is the only Gundam show that I've watched, yet I'm sure it's the worst.

I think the first 8 eps or something were great, really. But after that it's just pretty boys riding big, undestructible toys. I can count like 10 instances when the main characters have ABSOLUTELY zero schance of surviving, yet because having Heero, Trowa or anyone else die would make the female audience leave faster than you can say Treize Kushrenada. And even without watching the other gundam shows, I know that having mobile suits that are not invulnerable to damage makes the show a hell of a lot more interesting.

And then they killed my favorite character in the whole goddamn series, while Lady Une miraculously survives not once but TWO times (getting shot from POINT BLANK RANGE and while the GUNDAM Wing is vaporized in ep 47, Lady Une escapes unpained). You know which character I'm talking about...Treize. Brilliant strategist, expert swordsman, respected leader, a genius in piloting mobile suits (he was playing with Altron, who didn't even touch him once). And he had to die...BS!

BS!

Quatre is gay, I hate all the other characters.
Finally, the same person that said: My hands...they are too stained with blood to lead the Peacecraft monarchy and devoted his life to allow Relena to take her place in monarchy is the same person that does not hesitate to blow up Earth.

The World Alliance (all the colonies and Earth) is lead by a ...15 year old girl.

15! She's barely had her first period!

BS!

Lt Amada
20-04-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Eddy
well not only does teh deubb suck which i'm not all that bothered by, but ALL the gundam pilots are MALE, where's the diversity or nfun in that? the animation is pretty cheap and the gundams themselves don't make sense...how do tehy move them from one side of the globe to another with such ease? why does heero's rifle not need a power source? How did heero survive a large fall onto a jagged cliff? who are they working for? why is releena such a fool? why can't any of the main characters die?etc,etc

Well, the only female pilot in ANY Gundam series that I know of was Lt. Christina Mackenzie (the girl who test piloted the Alex) from Gundam 0080.

Originally posted by Jinnei
As I like to say:
-Gundam Wing is the only Gundam show that I've watched, yet I'm sure it's the worst.

I think the first 8 eps or something were great, really. But after that it's just pretty boys riding big, undestructible toys. I can count like 10 instances when the main characters have ABSOLUTELY zero schance of surviving, yet because having Heero, Trowa or anyone else die would make the female audience leave faster than you can say Treize Kushrenada. And even without watching the other gundam shows, I know that having mobile suits that are not invulnerable to damage makes the show a hell of a lot more interesting.

And then they killed my favorite character in the whole goddamn series, while Lady Une miraculously survives not once but TWO times (getting shot from POINT BLANK RANGE and while the GUNDAM Wing is vaporized in ep 47, Lady Une escapes unpained). You know which character I'm talking about...Treize. Brilliant strategist, expert swordsman, respected leader, a genius in piloting mobile suits (he was playing with Altron, who didn't even touch him once). And he had to die...BS!

BS!

Quatre is gay, I hate all the other characters.
Finally, the same person that said: My hands...they are too stained with blood to lead the Peacecraft monarchy and devoted his life to allow Relena to take her place in monarchy is the same person that does not hesitate to blow up Earth.

The World Alliance (all the colonies and Earth) is lead by a ...15 year old girl.

15! She's barely had her first period!

BS!

Well, all I have to say to this is that GW was just a cheap rip-off of anything and everything yet done in the UC series'.

I.E.--Herro Yuy/Amuro Ray, Zechs Merquise (and his aliases)/Char Aznable (and his MANY aliases), and that last battle in GW is soooo much like the ending in Char's Counterattack.

Gundammi!
21-04-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Jinnei

I think the first 8 eps or something were great, really. But after that it's just pretty boys riding big, undestructible toys. I can count like 10 instances when the main characters have ABSOLUTELY zero schance of surviving, yet because having Heero, Trowa or anyone else die would make the female audience leave faster than you can say Treize Kushrenada. And even without watching the other gundam shows, I know that having mobile suits that are not invulnerable to damage makes the show a hell of a lot more interesting.

And then they killed my favorite character in the whole goddamn series, while Lady Une miraculously survives not once but TWO times (getting shot from POINT BLANK RANGE and while the GUNDAM Wing is vaporized in ep 47, Lady Une escapes unpained). You know which character I'm talking about...Treize. Brilliant strategist, expert swordsman, respected leader, a genius in piloting mobile suits (he was playing with Altron, who didn't even touch him once). And he had to die...BS!

BS!

Quatre is gay, I hate all the other characters.
Finally, the same person that said: My hands...they are too stained with blood to lead the Peacecraft monarchy and devoted his life to allow Relena to take her place in monarchy is the same person that does not hesitate to blow up Earth.

The World Alliance (all the colonies and Earth) is lead by a ...15 year old girl.

15! She's barely had her first period!

BS!

Well, I still fail to see anyone's proof that Quatre is gay. Just because he's an advocate of peace and wears a little pink, doesn't make him gay. Can't two guys be friends without being lovers? Oh yeah, I'm sorry. They can't. :rolleyes:

The Gundam Cheapness Effect (copyright Sunrise) is persistent in all Gundam series and even more anime and movies worldwide. It's jsut a way for the series too be more enthralling. For chrissakes it's a TV show, not science class.

Trieze did not play with Altron, he lost the duel fair and square. It's odd that it's okay for the other characters to continualy survive through neat impossible odds, but when one character actually coresponds to your rules of cheapness, it's an atrocity! Hypocrite!

Relena wasn't really a ruler, she was a figurehead. Plus she was entitled to the position because she descends from the Sanc Kingdom royal family. In this case, age doesn't matter. And on the subject of Zechs being a pacifist who tries to send Earth into a new ice age, he's an insane hypocrit in the latter half of the show. Nobody's perfect. Wait! I messed up again. It's Gundam, everyone is a model human being and if they're not, they are a terrible character who disgraces the franchise. :rolleyes:

Oh, and by the way, the first eight episodes sucked ass.

anime308
21-04-2002, 03:33 AM
What's with the wing zero's gun its like a nuclear plant goes off when he uses it. Sometimes it can destroy a colony, then some times it can't do crap whats with that.

DarkMagician
21-04-2002, 04:07 AM
The buster rifle can be adjusted to fire a strong beam or a weak beam.
Also after many uses in a battle it's bound to lose power.

Sheex, The Dark Stalker
21-04-2002, 11:14 AM
95% of the bashing is bandwagon bashing. Bashing it because its 'cool' to do so. Many here fit into that equation. The show sure has many gaping flaws, but it doesn't deserve the treatment its getting by any means.

MauveVandal
21-04-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by DarkMagician
The buster rifle can be adjusted to fire a strong beam or a weak beam.
Also after many uses in a battle it's bound to lose power.

We don't know if the beam can be adjusted its never said, or mentioned. But oh well, I'm tired of trying to convince people that GWing sucks I'll just keep it to myself; the only person who matters.

Well, the only female pilot in ANY Gundam series that I know of was Lt. Christina Mackenzie (the girl who test piloted the Alex) from Gundam 0080.

In Zeta Emma Sheen piloted a Gundam, the RX-178 Gundam Mark II (man that suit is awesome), in 08th MS Team Kareen piloted a Ground Gundam, Sayla pilots Gundam in the Gundam movies there are a few female pilots. You know I'm a Gundam pilot, and a NewType.

Emma
21-04-2002, 01:31 PM
Also, Four Murasame pilots Psyco Gundam, Rosamia Beden pilots Psyco Gundam Mk II in Zeta. Elle and Roax pilot ZZ, Zeta and Mk II in ZZ. Many female characters in Victory pilot Victory Gundams and the variations.

MauveVandal
21-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Also, Four Murasame pilots Psyco Gundam, Rosamia Beden pilots Psyco Gundam Mk II in Zeta. Elle and Roax pilot ZZ, Zeta and Mk II in ZZ. Many female characters in Victory pilot Victory Gundams and the variations.

Speaking of the many female pilots it Victory, who is Junko Jenko? I've never seen Victory, is she the girl with light brown hair and blue eyes? And I thought the G-Boys were young being 15 year old pilots, Usso Ebbing is only 13 years old! His voice is still high pitched, he hasn't even started growing face pubs.

Emma
21-04-2002, 03:43 PM
Junko is the leader of Sherike team. She has shoulder length red\dark brown hair. She is the one left of Usso in this picture.
http://www.mahq.net/gallery/gundam/official/gallery05/vgun004.jpg

Usso is 13 but he acts more mature than any other of the main characters even he is the youngest. But I think 13 year old main character fits the story perfectly.

Ichitaka Seto
21-04-2002, 03:50 PM
Not to mention Cecile Fairchild piloting the Vigna Ghina

MauveVandal
21-04-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Junko is the leader of Sherike team. She has shoulder length red\dark brown hair. She is the one left of Usso in this picture.
http://www.mahq.net/gallery/gundam/official/gallery05/vgun004.jpg

Usso is 13 but he acts more mature than any other of the main characters even he is the youngest. But I think 13 year old main character fits the story perfectly.

Then who's that girl with her arms around Usso, I've been wondering that.

Emma
21-04-2002, 04:30 PM
In clockwise order, the one holding Usso is Mahalia Meril. The one to her right is Kate Bush. The one next to Kate with black hair is Connie Francis. The blond one is Peggy Lee. The one wearing number 2 is Helen Jackson. Junko Jenko is the one to the right of Usso. Hope I get it right.

MauveVandal
22-04-2002, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the information, Emma. In any case, thats a Gundam from UC nobody wants to mess with even those "powerful" GWing Gundams, Victory Gundam is one of the better series and has one of the more darker stories that surpasses Zeta in terms of tone.

Jinnei
22-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Trieze did not play with Altron, he lost the duel fair and square. It's odd that it's okay for the other characters to continualy survive through neat impossible odds, but when one character actually coresponds to your rules of cheapness, it's an atrocity! Hypocrite!

Relena wasn't really a ruler, she was a figurehead. Plus she was entitled to the position because she descends from the Sanc Kingdom royal family. In this case, age doesn't matter.


Gundammi!, watch the ep again, and you'll see Treize was messing around with Wufei, just like he was when they were swordfighting. Wufei was going nuts, fighting like a berserker while Treize was dodging all of his attacks and going at him from behind without hitting him.

Treize (slyly): Where are you hitting? I'm right here.
Wufei (angryly): Quiet you!

Altron didn't touch him once as I said. Treize was much more level headed and the only reason he did that suicide attack (even thou he was not by any means in a desperate situation) was to have a symbolic death in order to allow the remaining Earth troops to retreat. Didn't you see how Wufei wasn't proud he killed Treize? He knew that even in death Treize was superior to him.

Lady Une: That was beautiful, Treize-Sama After she ordered all Earth units to retreat. Even she understood it, and she's an animated character!.

And Relena really was a ruler, because while a figurehead is only symbolic, Relena HAD REAL POWER! All the other representatives (colonies and such) bowed to her will! Who ordered ALL freaking weapons destroyed? The QUEEN of the Universer RELENA!


Oh I know there are no definite proofs that Quatre is gay, and I respect people that don't think he is, but to me he acts as effeminate as can be (he did grow up with 29 sisters).
Thx to such BS expressions of his as "The soul of outer space".
He plays the violin! hehe...jk

Really guys, you have to accept that some people who never watched any other gundam series than gundam W can dislike it, even hate it.

Ukiki
22-04-2002, 08:52 PM
i've said this before, GW is not the same kind of anime as any of the other gundam series, so naturally, those who were gundam fans before wing would not like it.

but yes i do agree with sheex, and isn't it funny that i've never seen an arguement for that one?

MauveVandal
23-04-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Sheex, The Dark Stalker
95% of the bashing is bandwagon bashing. Bashing it because its 'cool' to do so. Many here fit into that equation. The show sure has many gaping flaws, but it doesn't deserve the treatment its getting by any means.

Where is your proof? As 95% of GWing bashers said they bash GWing because everyone else is doing it, or because its 'cool'? You just can't assume everyone does it for the same reason, so unless you're a psychic you just don't know people's reasons.

Lt Amada
23-04-2002, 07:06 PM
What the hell was this "soul of outer space" that Quatre was preaching about anyway?

MauveVandal
23-04-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by MauveVandal


Where is your proof? Has 95% of GWing bashers said they bash GWing because everyone else is doing it, or because its 'cool'? You just can't assume everyone does it for the same reason, so unless you're a psychic you just don't know people's reasons.

Gundammi!
23-04-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Lt Amada
What the hell was this "soul of outer space" that Quatre was preaching about anyway?

Something best ignored. Even I will say that is an unwelcome addition to GW.

FishNChips
30-04-2002, 07:06 PM
Yeah, Quatre is a bit on the scary side. I think he had a thing for Heero...:p

DarkMagician
06-05-2002, 10:39 AM
Actually it seemed like he had a thing for Trowa but it was never confirmed. Another reason why I like Gundam Wing is the comic strip Domon W. Those are ****ing hillarious!

Gundammi!
06-05-2002, 05:50 PM
I still fail to understand those god-forsaken things!

Eddy
07-05-2002, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Gundammi!
I still fail to understand those god-forsaken things!

herro's pex get me so hot:lol:

Gundammi!
07-05-2002, 06:30 PM
I was referring to Domon W. Maybe I have to watch G Gundam to understand it.

Black_Knight
07-05-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Gundammi!

The Gundam Cheapness Effect (copyright Sunrise) is persistent in all Gundam series and even more anime and movies worldwide. It's jsut a way for the series too be more enthralling. For chrissakes it's a TV show, not science class.

Trieze did not play with Altron, he lost the duel fair and square. It's odd that it's okay for the other characters to continualy survive through neat impossible odds, but when one character actually coresponds to your rules of cheapness, it's an atrocity! Hypocrite!


What? I hold copyright to The Gundam Cheapness Effect© you moron!

And I am one to just huck a molotov cocktail through your window for that comment about Treize-sama

But thank you Jinnei, for blunting Gundammi!'s sharp tongue…

Gundammi!
07-05-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Black_Knight


What? I hold copyright to The Gundam Cheapness Effect© you moron!

And I am one to just huck a molotov cocktail through your window for that comment about Treize-sama

But thank you Jinnei, for blunting Gundammi!'s sharp tongue…

If you own the rights to The Gundam Cheapness Effect, then how come they have made anime with it since the 70's?

Thanks for the death threat. That's like, what? Number 3 now? Maybe I should throw a molotav through your window, but hey, the last thing I want to do is sink to your level of immaturity.

You're the one who's provoking this anti-Wing bullcrap so I wouldn't got so far as to call my tongue a sharp one.

Black_Knight
07-05-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Gundammi!


If you own the rights to The Gundam Cheapness Effect, then how come they have made anime with it since the 70's?

Thanks for the death threat. That's like, what? Number 3 now? Maybe I should throw a molotav through your window, but hey, the last thing I want to do is sink to your level of immaturity.

You're the one who's provoking this anti-Wing bullcrap so I wouldn't got so far as to call my tongue a sharp one.

Excuses, excues… They might have created the series…-But I created the threoy… Is that clean cut?

I will not allow you to profain the memory of his excellency… I have said this to Wu-fei cos-players, I'll say it to you… "Give me one good reason why I should maul you…"

As for the anti-wing, I am just a part of the The Gundam Cheapness effect, I love some of the mecha designs, music, some of the story… But like I said before… Gundam Cheapness…

Atticus
07-05-2002, 11:45 PM
i would have to say that i "dislike" GW because it brings to mind the fact that peole want to bash it. i didn't care for the " i got shot in the back with a dobber gun and my V-fin shines" too much but just because something is blatently homosexual doesn't mean everyone has to bash it. it just doesn't meet my standards of a good anime. take a movie that the majority said sucked and then you have the minority saying that it rocked, that conflict sparked the whole thing. it's just that about every 10-20 posts someone has to bring it up again. gives people to post on and a certain amounts of adrenaline for people who wait on someone to post so they can attack them.

it's kinda like the Matrix it was the blockbuster for the time but when watched today people would call it cheesy. sudenly NEO can perform martial arts and stop bullets and make programs explode?

too bad you can't put sound on here because i have a sound byte thats quite stupid but some found it amusing.

Drizzten
08-05-2002, 01:21 AM
My defense of GW (http://animeboards.com/showposts.php?s=&threadid=5617&postuserid=702):
Defend Gundm Wing? Ok. First of all, the animation isn't top notch. It gets the job done. The designs aren't new, and neither is the premise, a bunch of boys in mechs who fight for good. Big deal, been done and will continue to be done. I'm sorry you believe Amano's work has suffered in the series. I don't watch Gundam for the graphics.

I watch GW because it is a fascinating look at basic human desires. To be better, to win, to be honorable, to be just, to be peaceful, to dominate. The politics are ------- complicated in this series. You start out with Oz and the Earth Sphere Alliance. Then through mutliple wars, betrayals, and alliances, people change sides, join armies, die under the wrong circumstances, and stand firm at the same time. Each boy does exhibit your standard anime characterizations. But when it comes to their cause, nothing gets in their way. I don't consider them pansies because they were raised to do one thing, fight for the colonies. What such conditioning does to the human spirit is debatable.

But, it's the constantly changing political landscape what draws me in. I haven't seen any of the other Gundam series, so I can't judge them. The anti-war rhetoric that the show contains is just as moving and eloquent as the pro-war rhetoric. Heero's speech, Treize's constant justification of his actions, Milardo's duty to honor and job. The war of words is more epic and enduring than the war of death. So many factions die, only to have their causes taken up by other powerful people who commit the same mistakes over and over again. The pilots are forced to turn against the colonies they love so much at one point. There is a lot of drama in this series.

And to be honest, Gundam Wing is on Cartoon Network, translated in cut and uncut editions. Part of my anime history is in Gundam Wing. It's kinda like enjoying the crappy video game systems in our youth. Yeah, they didn't look all that great, but you could feel the effort they put into them.
I wrote this near the end of 2000 back when GW was fresh in my mind. It no longer is, but I still respect the series for it's political merits rather than how well it stacks up to other Gundam series and the laws of common sense concerning mech combat.

DarkMagician
08-05-2002, 02:10 AM
Nice defense Drizzen. Oh and Gunddami! Just what don't you understand about Domon W?

MauveVandal
08-05-2002, 10:52 AM
Atticus, you just sound stupid thats funny enough. As for GWing Bashing, and Defending GWing it comes down to this (in my opinion) You can't make someone stop disliking something because you like it no matter how out of hand they get, and there is a certain line thats crossed between "disliking" and plain out "hating" something. Even when this thread dies, others will still bash GWing regardless of what others think. So blah!

Black_Knight
08-05-2002, 05:39 PM
Well I like some of the series…

I just made a big grip about The Gundam Cheapness Effect©

That was it…

Gundammi!
08-05-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by DarkMagician
Nice defense Drizzen. Oh and Gunddami! Just what don't you understand about Domon W?

I agree. Drizzten, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

I don't know what I don't understand about Domon W. I just can't find it funny for some reason. I don't hate it or anything, I just don't understand what the hell is so funny.

By the way, BK. You should have that Trieze complex checked out. When you actually refer to him as "his excellency" it's just plain creepy.

DarkMagician
09-05-2002, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Gundammi!


By the way, BK. You should have that Trieze complex checked out. When you actually refer to him as "his excellency" it's just plain creepy.


Yeah BK. Treize is an excellent character and he's one of my favourite. But addressing him as his excellency is quite obsessive.

By the way Gundammi! here's a page with domon w. Don't you find ANY of them funny or kawaii?


http://www.geocities.com/little_fallen_angels/gwd_domonw.html

Eddy
09-05-2002, 06:58 AM
Well..where exactly does Treize live anyway? where's that big ass mansion you kept seeing him in in the first few episdoes?

MauveVandal
09-05-2002, 10:25 AM
Whats with the Wing Zero Custom anyways, I swear it looks like it should be on G-Fighter and be called "Pigeon Gundam". Old ladies feed it at the park, and it poo's on Leos.

Atticus
10-05-2002, 10:50 PM
yes but Pigeon Gundam just can't swallow Potato Gundam.:yawn:

Gundammi!
11-05-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by DarkMagician


By the way Gundammi! here's a page with domon w. Don't you find ANY of them funny or kawaii?


http://www.geocities.com/little_fallen_angels/gwd_domonw.html

I honestly cannot find it that funny. I think it's just a Japanese thing that only a few people outside of Japan can understand. I can see why some people would think it's funny though.

BTW: Yes, it is very kawaii.

Black Vixen
19-05-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Eddy
Well..where exactly does Treize live anyway? where's that big ass mansion you kept seeing him in in the first few episdoes?

If I remember rightly, I believe it's in Luxembourg.
I have nothing against Gundam Wing (except Relena ^_~') and I think it's a fun and cool, (if complicated at times) series to watch.

Atticus
20-05-2002, 07:56 PM
funny enough, relena was the center of the parody.

Black Vixen
21-05-2002, 04:10 AM
Those lil Domon W mangas rock. ^_~