PDA

View Full Version : What was the Antartica treaty?

Eddy
24-04-2002, 06:03 PM
what was the antartica treaty?

DarkPrimus
24-04-2002, 07:02 PM
Basically, it said that neither side would utilize nuclear weapons against each other. Of course, the Federation was planning on doing it, until Gato turned their own MS against them. By a few years after 0083, the Antartic Treaty was as good as nonexistant.

James
25-04-2002, 12:54 AM
But if memory serves me correctly isn't a mobile suit pretty much the equivilent of a walking atomic bomb? And if the suit was hit in the right spot it would cause a nuclear explosion? So it's not all that much different. :lol:

Atleast that's what I seem to remember from MSG but I could be wrong. My knowledge of mobile suit's isn't exactly up to par with some of the other people around here. :lol:

Eddy
25-04-2002, 07:23 AM
some MS's do work with nuclear reactors, but they have failsafes to prevent a drastci nuclear explosion, much like all nuclear reaqctors. i mean you could'nt just shoot an a-bomb an expect it to explode.

James
25-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Yeah that's true. I never heard anything about a failsafe though. Makes sense I guess. I wouldn't want to pilot a walking nuclear reactor in the middle of a warzone knowing that one wrong hit could blow me and a large portion of the area around me into kingdom come. :lol:

DarkPrimus
25-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Mobile Suits do not use nuclear power. They are powered by Minskovsky reactors, which is why radar and radio communications don't work near MS activity.

James
25-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Ah Minskovsky reactors....I remember hearing about those. But if radio communications don't work well due to minskovsky activity from mobile suits how is it the the suits are able to communicate with each other in the first place?

I apologize if these seem like stupid questions. My knowledge of Minskovsky particles is somewhat limited. :lol:

Ichitaka Seto
26-04-2002, 06:34 AM
If I'm not mistaken, MS are powered by nuclear reactors... minovsky particles only make it possible to make the reactors compact enough so that they can be mounted on a moble suit....

And yes, they do explode if hit in the right spot.. The Vigna Ghina in F91 shot two disabled moble suits and that destroyed a ship in a massive explosion. And later the F91 destroyed the MA by shooting at the reactor of the Vigna Ghina..

There's also reference to its potential danger in MS08th team... in Shuddering Mountain 1, the commander was considering using the GMs as nuclear bombs..

James
26-04-2002, 01:08 PM
So then are they referred to as nuclear reactors or Minskovsky reactors due to their compact size? Or are the names pretty much interchangeable?

TenchiMasaki07
26-04-2002, 04:02 PM
i heard the reactors were fusion reactors, so if they went off, they would make a thermonuclear blast. also, the power output that is put on the MS specifications is too high to be anything else but a reactor of some sort. if i remember correctly, i just heard them call them the reactor, for convenience, and because the scientist out there would argue about the science on Gundam, so they are vague as possible.

if they use minovski reactors in tandem with the nuclear reactors, then might it be possible to turn up the output on one to scramble communications

Antarctic treaty states the conditions that a prisoner must be held under, the terms of surrender, the limited or prohibited use of certain weapons, and the possible limit of certain devices that can be made.
Like DarkPrimus said,prohibited the detonation of nuclear weapons.
The treaty is somewhat based on the treaty of Versailles in WWII and the nuclear test ban treaty of I think 1979.
The Principality of Zeon Needs your Help!
Join Now!
yeeah...and be strapped to a bomb...
now that is a real ride!!!!!!

James
26-04-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by TenchiMasaki07
The Principality of Zeon Needs your Help!
Join Now!
yeeah...and be strapped to a bomb...
now that is a real ride!!!!!!

Yeah I'll say. I'd probably do it if it was a Gundam or some other stronger MS. I don't think you could get me into one of those Zaku's though....they blow up way too easily. :lol:

Sheex, The Dark Stalker
26-04-2002, 08:54 PM
Of course, the Federation was planning on doing it, until Gato turned their own MS against them. By a few years after 0083, the Antartic Treaty was as good as nonexistant.

Don't forget the Zeons actually launching a nuclear weapon in the Battle of Odessa and later planning a nuclear attack on a Side 6 colony.

Ichitaka Seto
26-04-2002, 09:12 PM
Here's the full story on Minovsky particle and its uses..

http://www.geocities.com/igakuei/pages/Minovsky_Physics.html

Eddy
27-04-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Sheex, The Dark Stalker

Don't forget the Zeons actually launching a nuclear weapon in the Battle of Odessa and later planning a nuclear attack on a Side 6 colony.

whas that a nuclear weapon? i remember Admiral Yuri saying it was a "vaporising bomb" whatever that meant.

Ichitaka Seto
27-04-2002, 02:31 PM
I thought that was some kinda hydrogen bomb... meh, not sure.

Black_Knight
27-04-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Eddy

whas that a nuclear weapon? i remember Admiral Yuri saying it was a "vaporising bomb" whatever that meant.

It wasn't a Nuclear device… That's for certain, unless we would have had some sort of report on that…-Even a small Nuclear device detonated would cause a fall out which winds would effect the entire world… Look at Chynolbaol(sp.)

Anyway, the 08th MS team which I'm assuming that both the MS mobile suit reactor and Yuri's "vaporisation bomb" came from isn't the best source when it comes to the military or sceintific hardware… Most likely the reactor meltdown that was mentioned in "The Shuddering Mountain" was not of a nuclear reactor… The way that it was worded plus the converation right before it might have hinted that. As for the Vaporisation bomb, I'm betting that it was a large amounts of explosives of some sort… Not nuclear… We would have seen the infamous mushroom cloud…

Eddy
28-04-2002, 06:59 AM
it's good to see that Zeon and Feddies agreed on humanity ethics for once:)

brings a tear to the eye:o

DarkPrimus
29-04-2002, 01:17 AM
B_K, nukes operate differently in the vaccum of space. No atmosphere=no fallout. All the radioactive particles would be scattered by the explosion, and wouldn't condense in the area of the explosion.

Black_Knight
29-04-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by DarkPrimus
B_K, nukes operate differently in the vaccum of space. No atmosphere=no fallout. All the radioactive particles would be scattered by the explosion, and wouldn't condense in the area of the explosion.

Ah, I didn't care that much about what I was talking about anyway…

Sheex, The Dark Stalker
01-05-2002, 03:31 PM
I'm talking about the original, not 8th MS Team. Odessa has nothing to do with 8th MS Team, they just talk about it and show guys in a small town near it for about 2 minutes.