PDA

View Full Version : The technical differences between Titanium and Gundanium Alloy

James
30-06-2002, 12:49 PM
Well, I'm not sure if this has been discussed really before, but I couldn't find anything on it so I thought I'd bring it up...

Ok, to make a long story short I was looking at my PG Mk. II's technical specs yesterday and it got me to thinking...

Is it ever said anywhere about the exact weight difference between a piece of gundanium and a piece of titanium? Now I'm sure gundanium is a lighter material, but is it ever stated by how much at all?

Another question which came too my mind was what exactly is the original color of gundanium? Yeah, I know it's probably some kind of dark metallic gray or something, but I was just wondering since it's constantly painted over with the gundam's white, blue, red, and various other colors and we never get to really see it.

If anyone can think of any other interesting technical differences I'd like to hear them. I can only really think of those two at the moment.

James
01-07-2002, 08:05 PM
It occurred to me that people might be thinking I'm talking about Gundanium and be referring to the Gundam W series or something like that.

When I say Gundanium I pretty much mean luna-titanium also. I know so many people that just call the material the Gundams are made out of Gundanium that I never really think about it too much.

But when I say Gundanium you can just swap in luna-titanium.

I'd just like to know if there's a weight and color difference. :lol:

The question isn't really series specific, but I was thinking if there'd be any answer it would come from the UC series...

Sergeant Wittmann
02-07-2002, 02:10 AM
Ah! A healthy scientific curiousity! Well, I don't think they ever talk about weight differences or show raw Lunar titanium so you're out of luck. Sorry. If it's any help, then it would probably be a similar color to Earth titanium.

Lt Amada
02-07-2002, 08:42 AM
The Gundanium "super alloy" is sooo unrealistic its not even funny. Radar absorbant, and practically indestructable its the perfect material for super robots!

Sergeant Wittmann
02-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Gundanium's pretty ass. The Minovsky effect from original Gundam is way cooler and more original.

James
16-07-2002, 02:11 AM
Well, I'm not arguing that Gundanium isn't somewhat of an unrealistic unbelieveably powerful metal. :D

It was just the whole weight difference between the average metal titanium that we know of, and the stronger luna-titanium used on the majority of the Gundams made.

Since the Japanese love to add all these little details too there characters such as blood type, weight, and such I figured there'd be something out there on the whole luna-titanium thing. :lol:

Kerensky
16-07-2002, 11:23 AM
Not sure, I suppose there are many stronger metals in the universe and probably lighter too.

As for Blood type, thats basically like astrological signs. You are supposed to be able to tell the type of person from their blood type. Here in the states we normally don't get their sign, but we do get their birthdate so you could figure out their astrological sign pretty easily.

Atticus
17-07-2002, 12:26 AM
hmm... well all metals are reflective, maluable, and allow the reletivly free flow of electrons. now i haven't taken any metalergy classes but from simple observations i would have to say that luna-titanium would have to be a composite material. just because it heavy doesn't make it strong. i.e. gold so it would have to do with how the atoms align. if it weaves within itself it will be stronger. wich i believe is called tensile strength but don't quote me on that. and before i go on some more about stuff i don't really have any Hard facts on let me say that 'the way metal is melted and formed helps strengthen or weaken metal' and stop.

Lt Amada
17-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Here's a relevant section on armor materials in UC Gundam from Mobile Suit Basics, a document from the old Gundam Project.

Armor Materials
Of course, the combat-worthy mobile suit must be outfitted with armor, however feeble it may be against beam weapons. During the One Year War, super high tensile steel and titanium are the typical armor materials, with stronger titanium composites introduced in the following years. The Earth Federation at first plans to armor its mobile suits with a vastly stronger allow called Luna Titanium, developed at its Luna II base; originally developed for use in reactor cores, this super-alloy is resilient enough to deflect a 120mm shell from a Zaku machine gun. However, the cost and effort of producing this material make it impractical for mass-produced mobile suits.
After the end of the war, the quest for the ultimate armor continues. Both Federation researchers and their former Zeon adversaries develop new versions of the Luna Titanium alloy, now known as Gundarium after the mobile suit which first demonstrated its miraculous durability. In September, UC 0083, renegade Zeons holed up in the asteroid Axis produce a lighter, stronger form called Gundarium Gamma. The details of Gundarium Gamma's composition are relayed to the rebellious AEUG, which uses the material in its own mobile suits, and in the following years new forms of Gundarium become increasingly popular as mobile suit armor materials.

Gundam
17-07-2002, 06:19 PM
I can't add anything more in regards to the technical info about the metal but I can point out an easy way to distinguist the difference between the armor used in Gundam Wing and the stuff used in the UC Timeline.

Gundam Wing uses Gundanium.

UC Timeline uses Gundarium.

Hanamichi
17-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Well here goes...in UC history, the first wonder-armor is Luna Titanium, named after the Federation's Luna II base where it was first developed. Since it's expensive and difficult to produce, after the One Year War the Federation standardizes on titanium-ceramic composite, which is almost as good. Meanwhile, renegade Zeons at the asteroid base Axis manage to duplicate Luna Titanium, naming their version Gundarium (with an "r") after the famous mobile suit.

Gundanium (with an "n") appears only in Gundam Wing. It's not only stronger than the titanium used on other Wing suits, but probably tougher than any material used in Gundam's mainstream Universal Century continuity.Neo Titanium, used in the Serpent, is supposed to be twice as strong as, and half the weight of, regular titanium - but still inferior to Gundanium.

TenchiMasaki07
22-07-2002, 11:30 PM
Ok here is the text that is in the Gundam wing tech manual::

Gundanium is created through the most advaced refining , fusing and deoxydizing techniques, which are only possible in space. The complex formula was first called GND, short for Genetic on Universally Neutrally Different Alloy. Later, the suffix "-nium" was added to distinguish that alloy from other similar alloys that were being developed on Earth. Gundamium was still superior to the competition because of ist zero-G creative process.

While it's called an "alloy," Gundamium contains many non-ferrous metals and non-analyzed matter, meaning that it is not a true metal. It is created in high temperature plasma tha can only form in zero-G. The compound is adjusted in nanounits. a process so presise that it can only be done in gravitationally stable Lagrange Points. the annealing process, which strengthens the alloy, is performed by electromagnetically waves from the sun. It is even rumored that the nuclei of the atoms themselves are modifies within the Gundamium alloy.

While many similar alloys were developed, no other compound is as immutable as Gundamium. The refinement process causes the alloy to become electrically neutral, making it ideal for use with Beam type weapons, and as armor, the material is almost entirely resistant to change. However, the extremely high cost of production makes it impractical for military use

Some intellingence indicastes that OZ scientists experimented with using Gundamium alloy in MS creation. The very existence of Gundamium was kept secret, perhaps because it was a possible secret weapon for OZ. The five scientist who left the Tallgeese project took with them the knowledge of Gundamium, allowing them to crea the Gundams that would later be the bane of OZ.

The creation of the Gundams took decades of work behind closed doors, due in part to the slow process of manufacturing Gundamium. This is evidence of just how long a process Operation Meteor was, with the Gundams being created before their pilots were even born.

and that folks is what is Gundamium in very very vague terms

if you want more info go look for this book:
Gundam Wing Technical Manual by TokyoPop

James
23-07-2002, 12:47 AM
I believe I've seen that book before...

Don't they have ones out for 08th MS Team and Stardust Memory as well? Their like books with lots of technical diagrams of all the MS seen in the particular series. I've kind of been thinking about getting those. Do you have the GW one TenchiMasaki07? If so is it any good?

Kerensky
23-07-2002, 12:34 PM
If anyone knows where to get some of those books mentioned above I'd like to know. As I always find that stuff very interesting.

James
23-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Well if their the books I think TenchiMasaki07 is talking about then <a href="http://animeboards.com/animenation.php?id=1" target="_blank">AnimeNation</a>.com would be a good place to start.

I'm wondering if this is the book TenchiMasaki07 is referring too?

http://store5.yimg.com/I/animenation_1693_53775185

I'm wondering does it cover Endless Waltz too? I'd much rather have that then a book on the series seeing as I prefer the Wing Zero Custom over its TV counterpart...

The 08th MS Team and Stardust ones look worth buying as well.

TenchiMasaki07
28-07-2002, 10:29 PM
damn piece of ----......take a ------- hammer to this computer!!!!!!!!!!!

oh ok better

now i had already placed a reply but this comp gave out and now i am redoing this reply

now james that is the book and it is written as if it was a official military document

specs on the mobile suits and Dolls are there very detail

bios on most of the important characters

backgroun on the events before AC195

developments and key points in history

very detail and good

the other books on the 8th ms team and stardust are very good also written as military docs

Side note::

tokyo pop also makes detalied eps guides for Cowboy bebop with details on their guns, ships etc.

barnes and noble may have them and tokyopop.com also Kerensky

any other questions...just ask

James
29-07-2002, 12:59 PM
I see I see...

I may have to purchase the GW one, and perhaps the 08th MS Team one as well. Can't beat a book on Gundam specs. :lol: