PDA

View Full Version : GTO Live Action vs. GTO Anime

dheu
27-09-2004, 01:26 AM
I tried to post this thread awhile back and got a bizarre error saying I was posting something that had already been posted before. So let's try this again.

I've just finished watching the GTO TV series (live action version) for the third time, and I have to admit it's much better than the anime. I really like the anime, but I really, really love the J-drama. Takashi Sorimachi is the perfect Onizuka, able to pull off bizarre facial expressions, come across as impulsive and reckless, and yet still be extremely charming and inspiring. Fuyutsuki's character is different than in the anime, but in a good way, since she is much more real. Anime Fuyutsuki always came across as flat and uninteresting to me, whereas the J-drama Fuyutsuki has her own issues and a strong personality to counterbalance Onizuka's.

If you haven't seen the J-drama, then I'd highly recommend it. Beware of occasional situational variations, which might be a bit strange to fans of the anime and manga. It takes some getting used to, but once you have gotten used to it, I'd say they're all changes for the better. This is a TV show that shouldn't be missed, because it is hilarious, inspiring, and very moving all at once.

If you have seen both the anime and the drama, which do you prefer? Why?

DarkPrimus
27-09-2004, 02:04 AM
I've only seen the first DVD of GTO, but I didn't really care for it.

On the other hand, I've seen all of the live-action GTO series, and enjoyed it.

Take from that what you will. :p

orochi X
27-09-2004, 02:15 AM
I enjoyed GTO anime very much, and the Bad Company manga prequel was great aswell. I've been meaning to get my hands on the live action series + live action movie, I need to a) download it or b) find a store which has it for rental .. it's 13 episodes right?

dheu
27-09-2004, 02:28 AM
I enjoyed GTO anime very much, and the Bad Company manga prequel was great aswell. I've been meaning to get my hands on the live action series + live action movie, I need to a) download it or b) find a store which has it for rental .. it's 13 episodes right?
Twelve episodes, a special, and a movie that I haven't seen because I've heard it's comparatively terrible to the series.

I also haven't seen the special yet, although I've got it on tap to watch next. There's an open-ended conclusion in episode 12, so I've never been sure if the special should be considered episode 13, or if it's just another adventure tagged onto the end.

DarkPrimus, I know exactly what you mean. I watched the first disc of anime GTO and hated it. It wasn't until I saw later episodes that I started to like it. But with the live action, I loved it instantly.

Fatal Outlaw
21-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Well, I LOVE the anime, unlike you guys, I actually loved it with the first episode. I'm just in the process of watching the live action version, but as currently standin, I prefer the anime more. The anime I believe, is closer to the manga, and the live action version takes some things and changed it. For example (SPOILERS IN THE ANIME AND LIVE ACTION)

One of my favorite scenes in the anime is when Tomoko made her speech with the cell phone during the idol contest. She was talking to Miyabi in the cell phone, leaving a long ass voice mail (which means the audience had no idea who she was talking to with the phone, giveing them the impression that she was acting). Now, in the live action version, she talks with her puppet and she is talking to Miyabi DIRECTLY. In my biew, a great scene completely ruined. It's one of the more powerful scenes in the series, and possibly the manga as well.

(END SPOILERS)

Things are a bit faster with the live action version as well, but that is understandable considering that the LA version is only 12 episodes.

Vilstar
04-04-2005, 03:43 AM
I loved the anime and the live action. I didn't think the movie was bad at all, i really enjoyed it as a matter of fact. I'm hoping to get my hands on the manga, but i would have to find it translated and i don't know of any place that has it. I didn't think the live action would be all that great, mainly because i thought it would be extremely difficult to get someone to act the way Onizuka does in the anime. The guy they chose is pretty damn good at it though (IMO), although his hair wasn't bleached :P

I still think the anime was the best, but the live action is extremely good and fun to watch. I watched all of it in a day because i enjoyed it that much. Although i do agree, the scene with Nomura was kind of pathetic, but it was interesting to see the changes they made to the anime. I just wish it would have been longer so they could include all of the characters from the anime, but i guess they didn't have the proper funding to do so.

Shinobe333
15-06-2005, 07:45 PM
I have NEVER heard of live action for GTO! I'm missing out. Where do I find it?
--Shin

orochi X
15-06-2005, 09:51 PM
I think it's only available via R2 DVDs ->
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1002483725/code-j/section-videos/

Quite expensive eh ..

random1377
16-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Live Action GTO is much better than the anime. I liked the anime, but the ending Suuuuuuuucked. The manga's cool, but it's a bit too long to be great, and until the last issue comes out, I can't tell if the ending for that will suck or not :P

But I liked the live action one pretty much all around. Nice and tidy... a decent ending... and just the right amount of laugh to angst to be well balanced.

...but no Urumi. :(

-Random

orochi X
16-06-2005, 01:03 AM
The manga's cool, but it's a bit too long to be great, and until the last issue comes out, I can't tell if the ending for that will suck or not :P

Last issue out in August. Bah dislike this wait for the manga conclusion, though it's pretty obvious that Onizuka will pull through. I'm just wanting to find out more about principal Daimon and her past.

game
28-07-2009, 11:02 PM
It is so difficult to say which one i like much better. I like both of them. I like the main character , he is so funny, and handsome. I want to watch it again.