PDA

View Full Version : GTO is awesome! Onizuka's attitude - the best!

Shinobe333
08-11-2005, 07:10 PM
I've really appreciated the series becuase of Onizuka's attitude - fearless, never say die, and hope. He's always hopeful and not worried about the consequences when he knows he's done something right.

Also, he sure covers a LOT for the "kids" mistakes w/o throwing stones back @ them when they throw stones @ him.

Has anyone see the finale of the show? Man, I gotta know if more is coming! :D

Schizm
08-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I've seen the final episode. It's a huge let down.

orochi X
09-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Glad you're enjoying GTO, it's a kicking series. As Schizm said the ending wasn't very good, the manga one is better but again feels a bit well imcomplete, can't comment on the live action though.

Shinobe333
10-11-2005, 06:44 PM
When GTO got off, they still had a GREAT deal of material they could have come up with but the major story line & sub-plots had run out. Kinda like Cowboy BeeBop. Too good to end, but it ended.

Anyone heard of a sequeal?

Schizm
10-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Anyone heard of a sequeal?

No. Only prequels.

orochi X
11-11-2005, 03:14 AM
You could always get your hands on the manga, it continues off after their trip to Okinawa, theres like 3 or 4 more story arcs.

SamIam
06-12-2005, 10:16 PM
You could always get your hands on the manga, it continues off after their trip to Okinawa, theres like 3 or 4 more story arcs.

The manga is definitely a must ... as with many series adaptations, the anime only covers a small portion of the series, and unless taken into account, the tv series feels incomplete ... in the same sense of reading a few chapters of a book.

As for the live action GTO ... it IMO SUCKS BIG TIME!

In the live movie ... Onizuka appears to be older and he has BLACK HAIR ...
in addition, all he really does (as compared to his crazy and superhuman feats) is to act weird, heckle the kids and putz around on his motorcycle!?

In short, if you were to truncate the entire series into a movie length feature ... water down the unkillable and bizarrely noble eccentric personality of Onizuka AND strip out most (if not all) of the entertaining support characters (the love of his life, arch nemesis, academic patron, comic relief and of course the demon children from hell ... then you would have a movie that was only twice as good as what was actually put on film.

urghghghgh ...

Note that this review is for the GTO Movie ... I am not sure if there was a life action series done or not ...

hahaha ... this one ranks up there with the live action Fist of the North Star as "Bad ideas for live remake" XP

Sam

warlock
29-12-2005, 04:19 PM
GTO definitely rocks!! He sometimes looks stupid, acts really perverted and immature but whenever crisis comes up, he settles the problem in a somewhat unpredictable manner and eventually pulls through!!

Why can't schools have teachers like him, then school wouldn't be that frustrating!!

I'm not sure if I've watched the ending! Was it the episode where he run away after he resolved the problem with the girl student of his that really hated him or something like that!!!

orochi X
29-12-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure if I've watched the ending! Was it the episode where he run away after he resolved the problem with the girl student of his that really hated him or something like that!!!

Where he gets arrested and then makes a runner?

Yes.

warlock
30-12-2005, 12:15 PM
So that was really the ending!!
Aren't there any sequel of some sort! If i'm not mistaken I think Onizuka went to the US where plans to conitnue his teaching!

orochi X
30-12-2005, 03:15 PM
In the end of the anime Onizuka ends up in America teaching and that's the last we see. As I said earlier in the thread get the manga it continues off after their trip to Okinawa and goes on for a few more story arcs.

warlock
31-12-2005, 09:53 AM
I like watching animes rather than reading it in a manga! Hehe!
Hope they have plan to do some sort of continuation!

Shinobe333
18-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Any more news on a sequel? W/ the ending in California, I was disappointed. I really wish he's stuck in Japan. But it was cool how "Itchy" finally grew some "cahonas" and stuck up for the kids @ the school @ the end. That was awesome. Everyone was changed by Onizuka.

I just got "The GokuSen" which is similar to GTO w/ a chic teacher who's also part of the yakuza. Anyone want a girls (little girls @ that) red jacket? ha, ha ,ha... :lol:

It's susposed to be really similar to GTO in antics, comedy and trying to be good out of a buch of really roughnech youth - kinda like the ones Onizuka got in California in the last scene. This is where this chic picks up!

But I re-watch GTO often. Especially the 1st DvD. Too cool how Itchy got the nickname "butt sniffer" and he NEVER lived it down. REally like the really smart chic, too, Kanzaki. Love those killer eyes.... :lol:

Kyouta
08-08-2006, 05:24 PM
GTO is a real good anime.
i've seen, what up to vol. 3 or 4.

SamIam
08-08-2006, 06:49 PM
GTO is a real good anime.
i've seen, what up to vol. 3 or 4.

Well keep going ... the anime story arc is worth it, but a little fustrating to because you get the impression (and rightly so) that there is more to the story.

If you gotta have more, read the manga, but stay away from the Live action movie.

Sam

Kyouta
10-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah,
im tryin to look into it a bit more.
see some more eps.

SamIam
02-08-2007, 08:02 PM
... this series could be used as an interesting experiment in cross cultural adaptation. Now that Onizuka is in America (California), it would be kind of neat to see if a joint anime venture could be made whereby the author provides the plot and details, but with greater collaboration in terms of cultural elements and vocals ... for continuity sake, it would be nice to use the same anime studio for the look and feel, but the majority of the students/support cast would be native english speakers (perhaps he could be a Japanese language teacher?)

Some of the interesting plot elements could come from:

1. Onizukas trials and tribulations in learning english for an english ...
2. Culture shock differences good and bad
3. Socio-Political differences in student outlook
4. Biological differences between cultures

The idea would be something like Fight fire with a bigger fire! ... or in the case of Onizuka a can of gasoline!

Sam

game
28-07-2009, 10:08 PM
I agree with you. I like Onizuka's attitude - fearless, optimistic , and serious. He is different from other teachers in the series, he often help the students to solve their problems or troubles in a special way, but the students like him very much. So do I .