Thread: Request: dates
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #11   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Let's look at what sort of vibes these management gurus give out:

1. Eva2k: "You know, I'm a very sentimental person and hence I refuse to delete any posts or subforums and I refuse to get rid of inactive accounts that will never become active again. Obviously, I can just archive inactive subforums, but you know, I don't really want to do that or make any other changes . Of course, this is exactly what has resulted in AnimeBoards sinking deeper and deeper into liquid shite and this has caused everyone to desert this place after they've smelt the pungent fumes, but you know what? I don't care because I have no incentive to keep hold of active members or to try and make this place reasonably active like it has been. It's not like I get sentimental about active members deserting and never coming back or about losing the lively atmosphere of this place. I just get sentimental about keeping dead accounts open!"

Yeah, that makes a f-uck load of sense doesn't it.
As i outlined at http://animeboards.com/showpost.php?...5&postcount=25 if you can't at least half or vaguely understand my sentimental reasons, then it will be hard to see where I'm coming from and i can then understand how frustrating it is for you viewing from the outside my outlined mindset.

Things will change but more on my timetable which maybe too slow for you. But I do take note of your suggestions.

Originally Posted by Katerine View Post
Ok. Umm... Here's my concern.

I'm a newbie here. I don't know eva2k at all (I am, in fact, just taking your word for it that he's male). But from the little that I've seen of his posts, he seems like a nice person.

And it's pretty obvious from the rather strange lack of Google ads on this site (eva2k, you know that Google AdWords was made for sites just like this one, right? ), that he is getting nothing out of creating/maintaining this board, except for the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from having created something that people actually use and enjoy.

So, if you're doing something on a purely volunteer basis, pretty much out of the kindness of your heart, and then somebody posts a bunch of suggestions, but then also posts things like, "Bloody f-ucking Nora. I mean, I'd love to say what a great job board management has done, but sometimes you've got to look at reality a bit and admit what a shambles this place has become. It's like watching the fooking Keystone Cops." ...

...This is not the kind of thing that makes a volunteer want to rub his hands together and get to work. It is, in fact, the kind of thing that makes a volunteer want to dig in his heels and, consciously or unconsciously, "get back" at the person who's bullying him, by simply doing nothing at all. Not saying that's what eva2k will do (like I said, I don't know him at all)... I'm just saying, that would be a perfectly natural, normal, human response for any volunteer to have, when they're being bullied in their free time.

Which would be a shame, because I think most of your suggestions are really good ones (I'm not sold on the "archiving" one, personally - I simply see no reason for it - but the rest of them all seem really good).

And I just want to be able to understand dates at a glance without having to decipher them...
Katerine, thanks for the insightful and almost correct comments there. All mods and I do /done this voluntarily with gain besides the enjoyment from creating something from nothing for others to use.

I say almost correct in the sense that John's comments won't cause me to try and 'get back' at him in anyway. John does has some good suggestions as well. Instead it's more of sadness in a sense to basically say I don't care or haven't done enough (even if it's the case) as I care very much/too much about AB. Let's say if I didn't have to work for a living, have off-line obligations to family, work etc, then I'd be on AB everyday working at it like I did at the beginning of AB (yeah excuses heh)

With that said, date format has been changed day-month-yyyy

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
Katerine you are entirely too sensible to be a newb. I will let you into the cool kids club (members: me) as a reward.

Eva2k is indeed a very nice, if entirely shadowy individual. Running the site isn't the half of it. For years he spent thousands of dollars a year to keep this site clean and fast. I think he is just burnt out now from all the hookers and blow. Life of an admin amirite?
haha thanks for the kind words, somewhat

Last edited by eva2000; 05-02-2009 at 06:50 AM.
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote