Old 12-04-2001, 04:37 PM   #1   [permalink]
7thKeeper
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to 7thKeeper Send a message via AIM to 7thKeeper Send a message via Yahoo to 7thKeeper
Gensoumaden Saiyuki, anybody heard of?

Anyone heard of this series? I found out about it at Phoenixfeathers MP3 site and it seems pretty cool. The only thing I really know about it that it's based on the same book as Dragonball (Phoenixfeather said it the book was called "Journey to the West") and it's very funny. And here's some of the voice actors from Saiyuki.

Seki Toshihiko(Duo in GW), Akira Ishida(Xelloss in Slayers) & Hoshi Souichiro(Kane in Lost Universe) & Kusao Takeshi(Trunks in DBZ).

If anyone has actually seen some of the series, tell me if it's worth watching and where could I get some episodes?

there's a pic from the 2nd opening. Oh and the opening songs kick ass! heh..http://www.geocities.com/terrin_cyborg/saiyuki2opn.jpg

Last edited by 7thKeeper; 12-04-2001 at 04:48 PM.
7thKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 04:51 PM   #2   [permalink]
suzaku
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to suzaku Send a message via AIM to suzaku Send a message via Yahoo to suzaku
let me see...

i've heard of it but i can't say that i've watched it...
Old 12-04-2001, 06:06 PM   #3   [permalink]
Tamachan
Forum Junkie

Um...you could say I've heard of this series, since I subbed the first 8 episodes ^^;;;

Saiyuki isn't licensed in the West, so the only way you can get it subbed in english is to get fansubbed version. You can get the fansubs from me if you're in Australia, or from Angel's Anime Heaven if you're in the USA (except Angel is going on holiday to Japan soon so I think her distro will be closed for a few weeks). Sorry no URLs since Eva2000 doesn't like that sort of thing, but I've given you enough info there for you to find out how to get them, I think

Saiyuki is a really HOT series in Japan right now...I belive it just finished it's 2-season run, and a movie is planned. The story is pretty interesting, although I must say that the animation quality sucks arse (too many stills!)
Old 12-04-2001, 06:20 PM   #4   [permalink]
Don
Executive Member

*chuckles* So it's another Weiss, eh? ;P
Old 12-04-2001, 07:03 PM   #5   [permalink]
Tamachan
Forum Junkie

Well, I'm pretty sure it would attract the same group of fan-girls are WeiB does...since it has plenty of gaunt bishounen running around the place. Unlike Weib though, Saiyuki actually has a half-decent plot since it came from a manga.
Old 13-04-2001, 12:05 AM   #6   [permalink]
Foryth
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to Foryth
Hehe, i'm very interested in Saiyuki, since so far i like everything made from any of the four great novels of ancient China. Stuff like Genso Suikoden and Houshin Engi(though from what i've seen of the anime and read about it, its a lot inferior to the manga). Well anyway back to Saiyuki, i'm really looking forward on getting those four novels(even though i only know 3 out of the fours so far^^; ) and from what i've read in the Houshin mailing list, characters from the Houshin Engi novel are also in the Saiyuki novel. There's hundreds(example, in houshin i think there are over 350) of characters in those novels, and it seem every is different from the other and stand out on its own(even though they can't develop each and every of them as much as the more important ones).

Also the character design looks great and so does the artwork^^. Though as usual i'm a lot less impressed by the artwork from the anime comparatively to the manga.

Anyway, enough useless rambling from the eastern history/mythos fan that i am^^;.
Old 13-04-2001, 05:05 PM   #7   [permalink]
7thKeeper
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to 7thKeeper Send a message via AIM to 7thKeeper Send a message via Yahoo to 7thKeeper
Yeah I heard that it had a lot of stills because they had a really tight budget, but I also heard that they made managed to do the series pretty well so that it really didn't start to bother you.. well maybe that was just their opinion.
7thKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote