Old 23-04-2001, 08:06 PM   #1   [permalink]
Anime Pirate
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Anime Pirate
dudes, this is one of, if not the greatest movie I have ever seen. the animation is not really up to todays standards (mononoke is prettier) but its not really shooting for that, it's story telling. not just any story, a damned sad story.. I dont want to give too much away, because you have to see this yourself.. but does anyone else have thoughts on this masterpeice? for me, it gets better every time I think about it.. and the saddest part is that it's based on a true story.. god, I dont think I'd have the will to live after something like that..

Livejournal
Myspace Music
Anime Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2001, 08:42 PM   #2   [permalink]
Jenfa
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jenfa
I loved it... it is definitely one of the most touching movies. I cried most of the way through. I think it is something that everyone should watch.

On the other hand, my boyfriend doesn't seem to understand that you could enjoy watching something that mkes you sad. *sigh*
Jenfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2001, 10:05 PM   #3   [permalink]
twoginfaz
Inactive Email Account

Send a message via AIM to twoginfaz
I just saw Grave of the Fireflies for the first time today ever. It was great and VERY sad. It is best anime movie that I own.
twoginfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2001, 10:11 PM   #4   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to cloakactive
This was a heavy topic in one of the other threads.... too lazy to look for the original thread but anyways.

Yes, Grave of the Fireflys is indeed a sad tale. Please, if you watch this make sure you have a box of klenex or a shoulder to cry on. Cuz you will most likely do this I know i had a tear or two. *sniff sniff*

I bid 30,000$ on Nairohe... and I've got the bruises to show for it. :lol:
cloakactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2001, 07:54 AM   #5   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

Unhappy AAACK!!!

Ok, it's official. U have all scared me stiff and thus completely deterred me from ever wanting to watch this...EVER. I don't think there has ever been a story hailed so much as being the saddest than this...I'm sorry, but after what I've heard, watching this would be the biggest mistake of my LIFE. I just don't have the stomach/heart for it...
"Disgusting."
DraniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2001, 08:05 AM   #6   [permalink]
Don
Executive Member

I've been considering buying this on DVD. On one hand, I'll have a sad tale I can show others who think that animation is a poor medium for anything serious... but then again, I'm never going to have repeat viewings of this like my other DVDs... -_- <-- doesn't want to watch it again

DraniX: Don't let what everybody else is saying affect you. I think that everybody has to watch this movie at least once.
Old 24-04-2001, 09:52 AM   #7   [permalink]
Rudy Roughnight
Inactive Email Account

Call me ignorant but exactly what is the plot of Grave of the Fireflies?
Rudy Roughnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2001, 11:30 AM   #8   [permalink]
Kurai Kodomo
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Kurai Kodomo Send a message via AIM to Kurai Kodomo
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy Roughnight
It was to tell the hardships of seita and setsuko.

I read that rodger ebert gave it a great review. One of the best WWII films he's seen,he said. I believe he even ranked it up with shindlers list as a great movie.

I was actually surprissed with my reaction. I'm not an emotional person and I have never cried from emotions and this movie didn't make me cry but I sorta got misy eyed. I only watched it once and now it's sitting on my shelf cause I'm not sure if watching it again will make me cry or not.

It is the best anime I have seen. I even thought the enlish dub was very good.
Old 24-04-2001, 12:52 PM   #9   [permalink]
Rulakir
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Rulakir Send a message via AIM to Rulakir Send a message via Yahoo to Rulakir
I found this movie quite touching, but not sad to the point where I started to shed tears.

DraniX, you just have to see movie for yourself and be your own critic. You may find this movie sad (most likely), you may not. I would not think watching this would be a mistake, but a learing experience to see what the Japanese people felt at the time of the event.
Old 24-04-2001, 08:56 PM   #10   [permalink]
Anime Pirate
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Anime Pirate
Re: AAACK!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DraniX
Ok, it's official. U have all scared me stiff and thus completely deterred me from ever wanting to watch this...EVER. I don't think there has ever been a story hailed so much as being the saddest than this...I'm sorry, but after what I've heard, watching this would be the biggest mistake of my LIFE. I just don't have the stomach/heart for it...
dude, you have to see the movie. it is one of, if not THE greatest movie I have ever seen. it's simply amazing. I didnt cry during this movie, but I definatly felt for the charactors.

Quote:
Us americans Bomb the town that the main charactors live in. seita and setsuko (ages 14 and 4), must find a way to live without a home, on their own (their mom is in the hospital from the bombing, and their dad is in the Japanese Navy). I dont want to give away too much, but thats the general idea of it..

Livejournal
Myspace Music
Anime Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2001, 09:08 PM   #11   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to cloakactive
Yes DraniX.... you have to at least see it once....

I mean... I've had the same reation both times I've seen it.... I've had it for awhile too....... At least once... just so you know.

I bid 30,000$ on Nairohe... and I've got the bruises to show for it. :lol:
cloakactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 10:05 PM   #12   [permalink]
wellreded
Forum Junkie

I knew from the first 10 minutes what was going to happen and I still balled at the end of the movie. My husband had to run and get me tissue. I couldn't help it.

It was one of the best animated movies I have ever seen.

It's worth it. Don't be deterred by the "down" reviews.
Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill, Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.........Rupert Brooke
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals..........Winston Churchill
wellreded is offline   Reply With Quote