Old 17-10-2001, 12:48 AM   #1   [permalink]
1st angel
Inactive Email Account

anime questions important ones

I have always wonderd and i guess this is a good place to get an answer, why do anime characters have big eyes and weird colored eyes and hair when they are supposedly japanese?
Its weird and it makes it hard to tell what nationality people are. Not that im complaining or anything.

Give me any ideas you have and remember i am not chritisizing anime im just askin a question thnx and answer well plz!!
1st angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2001, 12:51 AM   #2   [permalink]
I'm not a doll
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to I'm not a doll Send a message via AIM to I'm not a doll Send a message via MSN to I'm not a doll Send a message via Yahoo to I'm not a doll
,, its a style ,, and its good that its hard to tell what nationality people are because in Anime they can be from all ,, dependent on what show you watch ..

Last edited by I'm not a doll; 17-10-2001 at 12:52 AM.
I'm not a doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2001, 12:57 AM   #3   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Though this question could have been more effectively answered in the General Discussion forum, I'll try to provide some answers.

The wide eyes comes from a technique that "God of Manga" Osamu Tezuka used which ironically enough he copied from the technique used by Walt Disney Studios in their animated features. The "wide-eye technique" is used because it is often a bit more expressive than more realistic looking eyes. Still many anime and mangas do not use this technique such as Akira and Blue Sub 6.

About hair and eye color, wouldn't you rather see a Japan populated by people of various eye and hair colors rather than the universal look that most Japanese people have?
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2001, 12:53 PM   #4   [permalink]
Asuza_chan
Forum Addicted

the huge eyes are an homage to classic cartoons, such as Betty Boop, Bosco, and Disney. If you look at Disney cartoons, the eyes are pretty darn huge too.

The hair thing originally began because in Manga, which is all black and white mostly, they needed a way to differentiate between characters who would otherwise have looked really similar, so they made the hair styles really different and filled them in with different things, like dots or thin lines. When they began making anime, these weird hairstyles and textures became funky colors.

"I used to get high on life, but I built up a tolearnce to it eventually."
Asuza_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2001, 06:32 PM   #5   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
all i can really say is it's style. and the hair is to distinguish which is which in manga becuase its black and white.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2001, 06:12 PM   #6   [permalink]
suzaku
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to suzaku Send a message via AIM to suzaku Send a message via Yahoo to suzaku
Osamu Tezuka used the 'big eye' concept to express the characters emotions...