Old 31-10-2001, 01:58 AM   #1   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Talking Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!

For those who don't know what it is… He's a quick lesson on it

Halloween is an annual celebration, but just what is it actually a celebration of? And how did this peculiar custom originate? Is it, as some claim, a kind of demon worship? Or is it just a harmless vestige of some ancient pagan ritual? The word itself, "Halloween," actually has its origins in the Catholic Church. It comes from a contracted corruption of All Hallows Eve. November 1, "All Hollows Day" (or "All Saints Day"), is a Catholic day of observance in honor of saints. But, in the 5th century BC, in Celtic Ireland, summer officially ended on October 31. The holiday was called Samhain (sow-en), the Celtic New year. One story says that, on that day, the disembodied spirits of all those who had died throughout the preceding year would come back in search of living bodies to possess for the next year. It was believed to be their only hope for the afterlife. The Celts believed all laws of space and time were suspended during this time, allowing the spirit world to intermingle with the living. Naturally, the still-living did not want to be possessed. So on the night of October 31, villagers would extinguish the fires in their homes, to make them cold and undesirable. They would then dress up in all manner of ghoulish costumes and noisily paraded around the neighborhood, being as destructive as possible in order to frighten away spirits looking for bodies to possess. Probably a better explanation of why the Celts extinguished their fires was not to discourage spirit possession, but so that all the Celtic tribes could re-light their fires from a common source, the Druidic fire that was kept burning in the Middle of Ireland, at Usinach. Some accounts tell of how the Celts would burn someone at the stake who was thought to have already been possessed, as sort of a lesson to the spirits. Other accounts of Celtic history debunk these stories as myth. The Romans adopted the Celtic practices as their own. But in the first century AD, they abandoned any practice of sacrificing of humans in favor of burning effigies.
The thrust of the practices also changed over time to become more ritualized. As belief in spirit possession waned, the practice of dressing up like hobgoblins, ghosts, and witches took on a more ceremonial role. The custom of Halloween was brought to America in the 1840's by Irish immigrants fleeing their country's potato famine. At that time, the favorite pranks in New England included tipping over outhouses and unhinging fence gates. The custom of trick-or-treating is thought to have originated not with the Irish Celts, but with a ninth-century European custom called souling. On November 2, All Souls Day, early Christians would walk from village to village begging for "soul cakes," made out of square pieces of bread with currants. The more soul cakes the beggars would receive, the more prayers they would promise to say on behalf of the dead relatives of the donors. At the time, it was believed that the dead remained in limbo for a time after death, and that prayer, even by strangers, could expedite a soul's passage to heaven.
The Jack-o-lantern custom probably comes from Irish folklore. As the tale is told, a man named Jack, who was notorious as a drunkard and trickster, tricked Satan into climbing a tree. Jack then carved an image of a cross in the tree's trunk, trapping the devil up the tree. Jack made a deal with the devil that, if he would never tempt him again, he would promise to let him down the tree. According to the folk tale, after Jack died, he was denied entrance to Heaven because of his evil ways, but he was also denied access to Hell because he had tricked the devil. Instead, the devil gave him a single ember to light his way through the frigid darkness. The ember was placed inside a hollowed-out turnip to keep it glowing longer. The Irish used turnips as their "Jack's lanterns" originally. But when the immigrants came to America, they found that pumpkins were far more plentiful than turnips. So the Jack-O-Lantern in America was a hollowed-out pumpkin, lit with an ember.
So, although some pagan groups, cults, and Satanists may have adopted Halloween as their favorite "holiday," the day itself did not grow out of evil practices. It grew out of the rituals of Celts celebrating a new year, and out of Medieval prayer rituals of Europeans. And today, even many churches have Halloween parties or pumpkin carving events for the kids. After all, the day itself is only as evil as one cares to make it.

© 1995-2000 by Jerry Wilson;

References: Charles Panati, Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things, 1987; and Dr. Joseph Gahagan, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Personal letter, 1997

The Day that Cos-play will live in Infimay!
-Bishop Oro
Old 31-10-2001, 02:12 AM   #2   [permalink]
Michael
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Michael
So now the halloween day have come
HAppy HAlloween to all!!!
Old 31-10-2001, 02:15 AM   #3   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
And don't even try to raze my place… I got full anti-riot gear ready…-
-Bishop Oro
Old 31-10-2001, 02:21 AM   #4   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
This looks like a post for Chit-Chat!
Old 31-10-2001, 02:23 AM   #5   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
Why do you have to post it on MO BK?!? Can a moderator move this thread to Chit chat?!? Or do I have to create a new thread?
Old 31-10-2001, 06:52 AM   #6   [permalink]
Kawanua the Samurai
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kawanua the Samurai
Damnit stupid kids!

GET OUT AND GO TRICKER TREATING SO I CAN SCARE YOU!!!

no one in our street does it any more

*grumbles* stupid ruined my Halloween plan

and yes this should be in Chit Chat its not really that important

As long as the sun, the moon, and the earth exists. Everything will be alright.
Old 31-10-2001, 09:27 AM   #7   [permalink]
AnkaraStark
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AnkaraStark Send a message via AIM to AnkaraStark Send a message via MSN to AnkaraStark
Happy Halloween... Bah, we don't get any little trick-or-treaters here anymore. No one to scare! *stops* Hmm... Maybe I could go hide in the bushes on another street, waiting for the perfect moment when a little TOT (trick-or-treater) walks by and leap from the bushes, screaming "BOOOOOO!!! MUAHAHAHAHHAA!!" and watch the little one run away screaming in terror from the fright I caused.

... Or I can stay home and study for tomorrow's college midterms ...

Irish Diplomacy: The ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to the trip.
Old 31-10-2001, 10:51 AM   #8   [permalink]
Erik
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Erik Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Ahhh,yes Halloween has arrived........I have to take my little brother around trick or treating ........well,I suppose it isn't that bad,but I'd much rather just sit around and hang out on the computer.
Old 31-10-2001, 01:25 PM   #9   [permalink]
Kurai Kodomo
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Kurai Kodomo Send a message via AIM to Kurai Kodomo
Quote:
Originally posted by Kawanua the Samurai
GET OUT AND GO TRICKER TREATING SO I CAN SCARE YOU!!!
That's what I'm talkin about. I'm going to hide around my house with my scythe(wich is real) and grim reaper costume, makin little kids ---- on themselvs.
Old 31-10-2001, 01:49 PM   #10   [permalink]
RyuKenZ
----- Junkie (R.I.P.)

Send a message via ICQ to RyuKenZ Send a message via AIM to RyuKenZ Send a message via Yahoo to RyuKenZ
I love this holiday. I put a big giant bowl of Hostess cakes and candies of all kinds on my front porch for the little scamps. Then me and a couple of my friends wait for them in the bushes of the front yard with paintball guns and garden hoses. Heres a tip kiddies...if it looks too good to be true, then it is, its an ambush so run away. Oohooh, heres another group, gotta go...

"I have seen the light, and it burns!!"
"The only way to get rid of temptation, is to give into it."
"Natural selection is just another way of saying killing the weak and stupid."
"People say I am a bad influence, I say the world is already F_cked, I'm just addin to it."
"In a dictionary, you will find sypathy between sh*t and syphalys."
Old 31-10-2001, 01:50 PM   #11   [permalink]
AnkaraStark
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AnkaraStark Send a message via AIM to AnkaraStark Send a message via MSN to AnkaraStark
Ooo, may I borrow your scythe? scare the hell out of them when I jump from the bushes at them

Irish Diplomacy: The ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to the trip.
Old 31-10-2001, 01:52 PM   #12   [permalink]
AnkaraStark
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by RyuKenZ
I love this holiday. I put a big giant bowl of Hostess cakes and candies of all kinds on my front porch for the little scamps. Then me and a couple of my friends wait for them in the bushes of the front yard with paintball guns and garden hoses. Heres a tip kiddies...if it looks too good to be true, then it is, its an ambush so run away. Oohooh, heres another group, gotta go...

That is TOO PERFECT.

Old 31-10-2001, 02:15 PM   #13   [permalink]
Bryanna
Forum Addicted

Send a message via MSN to Bryanna
Ya well I am in school right now and ya, umm... I shouldn't be here *looks around and shivers*. I am in a computer class right now and Happy Halloween. We are having a costume day and I dressed up as a gothic person. He he, ya I am going to sit on my butt tonight and give out candy to trick or treaters. Also I am going to get fat on extra candy lol.
Old 31-10-2001, 02:23 PM   #14   [permalink]
AznGamer
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to AznGamer Send a message via AIM to AznGamer
Weeeeee, Halloween, fun. I'm at school right now and I've already have some parties to attend. Yes, I'm too old to go Trick or Treating.... -_-
Old 31-10-2001, 03:09 PM   #15   [permalink]
IcedHildaChan
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to IcedHildaChan
Mu ha ha ha ah ha!

I love Halloween. It's the only time I get to go outside, act crazy and not have someone put me away. I'm too old to go trick-or-treating so I just enjoy terrorizing little kiddies...

*goes through her sack of halloween stuff* Hmm, pitchfork...check! Scary mask...check! Voice equalizer...check! Fake blood...check! Fluffy...*pause* Oi, wait a minute!! That's not right!