Old 20-08-2002, 03:07 AM   #1   [permalink]
Kayay
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kayay
Metropolis

Rented it. Watched it. Didn't care for it. Why?

- Animation. I read somewhere that it is done in the "traditional manga style of drawing" of the 1940s (think Astro Boy) and that the manga was based on Fritz Lang's 1927 silent film of the same name. Interesting, and I suppose I should say something about the charm of such a classic animation style, but I didn't like it, especially for a future distopia sci-fi theme. They had Popeye arms and legs and the hairdos were horrible. See the attachment for an example.

- Music. While the jazz themed soundtrack did fit the odd mix of American art-deco meets Industrial Moscow, the way it was presented just didn't 'work' for me. The most glaring example was the song "I can't stop loving you" played at the climax of the movie. Gah. Having that play as the city falls apart is just...wrong.

- Voices. I watched the subbed and switched to dub occasionally to compare. Both were ok, but nothing special. I think I kept expecting Duke Red (I just couldn't find bird man menacing) to lay an egg, so I couldn't focus on whether or not the voices suited anyone. It was kinda neat, however, that the subs were available in about 4 or 5 different languages. I'd never seen anime subbed in Thai or Portuguese before.

-Extras. Ok, there are lots of nice extras, including a gallery, filmographies, animation comparisons, the history of Metropolis, interviews, etc. but itís only a good thing if you like the movie.

Duke Red, Human or Cockatoo? You decide:

Edit: It wasn't a horrible anime, but its a rental IMO.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg manorbird.jpg (28.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Kayay; 20-08-2002 at 03:17 AM.
Kayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2002, 03:09 AM   #2   [permalink]
Kayay
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kayay
I forgot, one more thing: the CG. It was pretty eye-candy, but considering the traditional animation style used, it clashed rather than complemented the anime in my opinion. Here's a screencap of the CG. Now imagine parrot man in the picture. It just doesn't work! Perhaps I'd have been able to adjust to the Astro Boy animation better without the CG.

Edit: Typos.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg cg.jpg (69.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Kayay; 20-08-2002 at 03:17 AM.
Kayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2002, 08:10 PM   #3   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

The CG definitely clashed, but when you've grown up with Tezuka's characters (Astro Boy, Kimba, Black Jack, Phoenix) you get to know their general character traits. This is useful in "big issue" movies where the particular details are not so important (notice how Tima is drawn in a slightly different style).

The CG was suitable for the new shiny Ziggurat, and I like the grunginess of the nether areas of the city (reminds one of AKIRA).

The Ray Charles music was used in a similar way to the final apocalyptic shot in Dr. Strangelove - the apparent contradictory co-existence of beauty and corruption.