Old 20-12-2002, 02:05 AM   #16   [permalink]
Midvalley

Send a message via AIM to Midvalley
Darkside raises an interesting topic here. First off let me say that the way he addressed it is very honest and mature. Finally! Ok, anyways...

I found PARTS of Bebop to be funny, but I would by no means consider it a comedic anime series. Trigun is the same way. I have seen about 6 episodes of Excel Saga, and they are alright. I laughed at some parts, but after about 3 episodes I kept looking at my watch wondering when dinner was. Now, if I were Japanese, I would probably have laughed much more since, like someone said, it is basically all Japanese culture humor. However, I think if I took Excel Saga a few episodes at a time I could enjoy it as an American. I mean, let's be honest, it is funny to see Hyatt try to survive every episode.

Perhaps what you need, Darkside, is romance comedy. From your list of anime you have seen, as well as your example of T2, I can see you like action, which usually keeps humor to a minimum. Perhaps try out Kare Kano for starters. If you do not laugh at parts of Kare Kano, then you do not have a soul. It has more of an 'American' humor to it, so it should be easily understood.

I definitely see where you are coming from. In those series that try to be funny ALL THE TIME, I do grow tired of it rather quickly, and I find myself having to watch something more serious after about 2-3 episodes.
Midvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2002, 12:12 PM   #17   [permalink]
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside Send a message via Yahoo to Darkside
Ok well I have to make a confession here. I DO enjoy romantic comedys. One of the only reason I could watch Tenchi and not try to slit my writs is b/c I was always wondering who Tenchi would end up with. Im not the type of person who only likes all mindless action movies/anime, I do enjoy drama and romance as well. Now did I LOVE tenchi...no...did I really like Tenchi...um..no....did the romance part of it keep it so I remained mildly interested in the show and didnt vomit on myself for a lack of a plotline...yes.

And to answers dehus comment from before, why dont I just stick to watching non-humorous anime, well my friend, I DO! But since this is a FORUM, a FORUM being a place to discuss ideas and opinions I figured It might be a hoot to go ahead and post my opinion on why I dont like humorous anime, and see if there are other people out there like me, who ALSO might have some suggestions on some other anime I might be interested in. OR EVEN...now get this...its a REAL crazy idea!!!...some intellegent well thought out individual might come along and change my mind about humorous anime by coming up with a solid concrete arguement.

To answer your other comment dehus...about Terminator 2...all I will say is look back in my post. Did I ever say that I thought Terminator 2 was gods gift to movie making? NO..all I was trying to illustrate was the fact that its a VERY popular movie that almost EVERYONE has seen, whether you enjoyed it or not. Its odvious that you didnt enjoy it...but you saw it didnt you? Common, admit it...you saw it...see there you go...it wasnt that hard was it? So therefore you could understand the context in which my example was placed. Thats all I was trying to accomplish.

Look friends, Im not trying to start a political/social war here. I so far have tried to explain to the best of my abilities why I dont enjoy humorous anime. If you dont agree with me thats FINE, its ok cause we all dont have the same opinions. But if you want to participate in the grown up discussion boys and girls please try to include good examples and well thought out ideas in your posts instead of getting all upset riled up when someone doesnt agree with you.

One more thing...Midvalley is Kare Kano a romantic comedy anime? Whats the premise of the story?
Old 20-12-2002, 01:44 PM   #18   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
OR EVEN...now get this...its a REAL crazy idea!!!...some intellegent well thought out individual might come along and change my mind about humorous anime by coming up with a solid concrete arguement.
If your opinion is that anime comedy sucks, then no concrete argument is going to sway you. From all your posts, you just don't seem to like the stuff. How can anything I or anyone else say change that?

Quote:
Darkside went on:
Its odvious that you didnt enjoy it...but you saw it didnt you? Common, admit it...you saw it...see there you go...it wasnt that hard was it.
Grrrrr... Alright, alright. I saw it. It sucked IMO. Of course, to defend myself, your statement definitely sounded like it was meant as a recommendation, a sort of "what kind of person are you if you haven't seen this movie" recommendation...

Quote:
Darkside again:
Look friends, Im not trying to start a political/social war here. I so far have tried to explain to the best of my abilities why I dont enjoy humorous anime. If you dont agree with me thats FINE, its ok cause we all dont have the same opinions. But if you want to participate in the grown up discussion boys and girls please try to include good examples and well thought out ideas in your posts instead of getting all upset riled up when someone doesnt agree with you.
If you want to post these opinions, maybe you should provide some examples as well. I haven't seen you provide even one purely comedic anime as proof of why you hate that genre, which leads me to suspect that you haven't really seen any and that you're just trying to make up a controversial topic. You've listed a whole bunch of anime but you haven't pointed out which anime have caused you to dislike anime comedy, and until you do I'm not going to take your opinion seriously. None of the anime you put up on that list seems to me like a pure comedy... how can you say you don't like the stuff if you've never seen it?

And for the record, I'm not getting riled up. I couldn't care less if you agree with me or not. It's good that you have your own opinion... the world would be a boring place if everyone thought the same on everything. But I am annoyed that you say that anime comedy is a waste of ink. By saying that, you're implying that because you don't like it, it doesn't deserve to be made, which is a pretty egotistical and childish opinion. Just because you hate the stuff, that does not mean that others don't and shouldn't enjoy it.

dheu

Last edited by dheu; 20-12-2002 at 02:14 PM.
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2002, 02:34 PM   #19   [permalink]
Darkside

Some interesting points

Ok...some intereseting points...

Quote:
If your opinion is that anime comedy sucks, then no concrete argument is going to sway you. From all your posts, you just don't seem to like the stuff. How can anything I or anyone else say change that?
1.) As far as someone convincing me that humorous anime is worth my time. Well, just to point out how perhaps one individual has already possibly changed my mind. Midvalley pointed out to me that perhaps I would enjoy a romantic/humorous anime. This way I might find something worthwhile in a humorous anime b/c its presented to me in a fashion in which I might enjoy. I am going to take Midvalleys suggestion and see the anime he recommended...maybe Ill like it maybe I wont, but he raised an interesting point and gave a good example so Ill give it a shot. Again, perhaps instead of nitpicking my posts maybe you should tell me why you DO enjoy it.

Quote:
Grrrrr... Alright, alright. I saw it. It sucked IMO. Of course, to defend myself, your statement definitely sounded like it was meant as a recommendation, a sort of "what kind of person are you if you haven't seen this movie" recommendation...
2.) Ok I could see how you might get that impression from what I said. I did happen to enjoy the movie, but the main jist of my mentioning it was just to illustrate an example.

3.) OK this is one of the reasons that I posted my "clarification" post. In this post I believe I corrected myself by saying
a.) Its not so much the "comedy" that I dont like, its the "comedy" in the wrong places that erks me.
b.) A lot of the comedy that I have seen, in animes PURE comedy or NOT I DONT understand b/c of the culture issue.

I can see that your really hung up on my whole "comedic anime is a waste of ink" comment. Again, allow me to clarify. Perhaps I was hasty in making this accusation, what I REALLY meant to say was, comedy thats poorly placed in anime is a waste of ink. Which IMHO happens QUITE frequently in anime, b/c japanese designers are CULTURALLY used to throwing in this type of stuff in the middle of serious issues. And I CAN site examples where this happens.

Project Ako
Dominion Tank Police

Watch these two animes and then come tell me if you understand what Im talking about. I agree I dont think that they could be classified as PURE comedic anime, but they contain the type of comedy that I dont enjoy (see #3 above) for me to realize that they are a waste of my time. I can see the point your trying to make but I think that in my first post I wasnt clear enough, and up until now you have misunderstood my point. Hopefully now its clear.

One more thing....dheu I dont want you to walk away from this discussion thinking that I ridicule those of you who LIKE comedic anime. For the 4th and final time, all I am merely doing is stating what MY opinion is, and trying to explain WHY I think the way that I do. You are TOTALLY entitled to love/hate anything, and I dont think less of you b/c of it. But IMHO the anime like that I have described are not worth my time watching...they may be worth YOURS but not mine. IF you enjoy that type of thing...woo woo for you you, nobodys pointing at you and yelling FREAK. By all means go do what you do and enjoy doing it.
Old 20-12-2002, 03:17 PM   #20   [permalink]
Midvalley

Send a message via AIM to Midvalley
Kare Kano is a spectacular romantic comedy. I am pretty bad at describing things, so if anyone sees this and wants to jump in, help me out.

*possible spoilers*

Kare Kano takes place in a high school. The main girl, Yukino, is the best in class at everything, until one day when a boy, Arima, comes in and takes all her fame away from her. At first she hates him, but over time, she slowly starts to like him more and more.

Now that is sorta just the beginning of the story to give you an idea. The imagery is great and there are many scenes where you will probably laugh out loud. I would say if you did like Tenchi, then you should enjoy Kare Kano. However, it is a little different in that you know who is together with whom, you just don't know if they will stay together or not. So it is a little different than Tenchi in that way.
Midvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2002, 04:27 PM   #21   [permalink]
Darkside

It sounds interesting...Ill check it out.
Old 21-12-2002, 03:38 AM   #22   [permalink]
katiedid
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to katiedid
Quote:
said dheu
If you want to post these opinions, maybe you should provide some examples as well. I haven't seen you provide even one purely comedic anime as proof of why you hate that genre, which leads me to suspect that you haven't really seen any and that you're just trying to make up a controversial topic.
but why? i mean, the initial purpose of this thread was not to sway him from his opinion, if i read the first post correctly. it was for people who don't really like humorous anime to go and talk about not liking it. i see nothing wrong with that.

i clicked on the link. i don't really like humorous anime. i come in to find that most of the people posting in here DO like humorous anime and cannot just except the fact that others don't and feel the need to change their opinion on the matter.

so yeah, basically i don't like it because i find most of the humor either really cheesy or too slapstick for me. out of anime i also prefer black comedies and very dry humor. cheesiness (and, of course, even this is opinion) just makes me want to gag. i do like some romance but it can't be overwhelming. as for comedic romance? sounds like a disaster for me...
katiedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2002, 04:44 PM   #23   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by katiedid
but why? i mean, the initial purpose of this thread was not to sway him from his opinion, if i read the first post correctly. it was for people who don't really like humorous anime to go and talk about not liking it. i see nothing wrong with that.
katiedid: The quote you mentioned was in response to his words that we should provide good examples for the points we're trying to make. I was just pointing out that, if he wants us to provide him with examples, he should do the same for us.

Okay, I'm woman enough to admit that my posts probably came out sounding very rabid. I don't see anything wrong with Darkside stating his opinion either, or with the fact that he doesn't like anime comedy. I don't feel the need to change that. It makes things interesting for people to have different opinions. I'm not one of those people who feel the need for everyone to think as they do. I honestly can't stand those people, and I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to be like that.

In my first post, I was really just curious why he disliked anime comedy, and if it was because it was anime comedy or if he just didn't really like comedy in general. I apologize if I sounded like I was trying to sway his opinion or preach to him about the joys of anime comedy, because that's not how I meant to sound.

Quote:
Darkside said:
I can see that your really hung up on my whole "comedic anime is a waste of ink" comment.
Yeah, I got very annoyed by that statement. By adding that statement, your opinion came across as very insulting and disdainful towards comedic anime in general. You may have just said that to emphasize your opinion, but it came across (to me) as an aggressive attack towards people who do like that kind of comedy (as in, "comedic anime is a waste of time, so the people who watch it are idiots"). Of course, I could just have been reading too much into one little statement. I have a tendency to do that.

Quote:
Darkside again:
Again, perhaps instead of nitpicking my posts maybe you should tell me why you DO enjoy it.
I already did, in my first reply to you. "I watch mainly more serious stuff, but watching a hilarious series now and then is a breath of fresh air and keeps me more interested in anime overall." My exact words. Most of the series I watch are dark and serious overall, so it's a nice break to try something that's light-hearted, something that I don't really have to think too hard about. Having a variety of the kinds of series I watch keeps me more interested in anime in general, since I don't get tired or bored watching the same genre over and over. Also, now that I've gotten used to the style of comedy ("... watching more anime I learned more about Japanese culture, and I started to understand the humor more." (my first post again)), I actually find it really funny. That's why I like it. I said all that before.

Quote:
Darkside:
I can see the point your trying to make but I think that in my first post I wasnt clear enough, and up until now you have misunderstood my point. Hopefully now its clear.
Perhaps I misunderstood you. I was mainly, as you said, "hung up" on that one phrase you used. That's the only part in your first post that I had a problem with.

Quote:
Darkside said a long time ago:
4.) Can anyone recommend any more anime they would think I would like?
Have you tried Serial Experiments: Lain? That doesn't have an ounce of comedy in it.

dheu
Old 21-12-2002, 10:58 PM   #24   [permalink]
icie
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to icie
its humorous, btw, cos humerous sounds like something out of biology.

oh wait was that humour?

Anyway, you might enjoy anime such as X series, Grave of the Fireflies, Vampire Princess Miyu.
icie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2002, 04:17 AM   #25   [permalink]
j99

I'll second Serial Experiments Lain if you don't like comedy in anime. Lain has zero humor, and is still very good... if you've got the attention span for it
j99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2002, 03:46 PM   #26   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
The first Rurouni Kenshin OVA (aka Samurai X) is also quite humor-free, nearly the opposite of the TV series.
Old 23-12-2002, 03:35 PM   #27   [permalink]
Darkside

I have actually heard of Serial Experiments Lain...but I have never gotten to watch any of it. Im going to go out on a limb here and hope Im not sounding like a hipocrite but...from what I can remember isnt Lain more of like a depressing morbid anime? ON the subject of depressing anime in general...although while it may be true that I perfer anime to have more serious overtones to it (**less comedic**) I dont want to end with a feeling of mass depression...or with having my head explode from so many hidden innuendos behind everything that was happening in the anime.

If I may give an example...I own the anime Neon Genesis Evangelon. I bought the series and the movies basically b/c almost everyone that I have ever talked to said it was an excellent buy. SO I bought and watched them. I have to say that honestly its not my cup of tea. It didnt really contain that much comedy which I thought was good. But I felt as if I was on more of an acid trip then watching an anime, b/c of all the hidden overtones of the film. A lot of people like this type of thing b/c it lets them draw all their own conclusions about what is "actually" happening, and it also can be connected to "real life" feelings and emotions.

Now its not that I dont like "thinking" movies...but call me old fashioned, I like there to be a good solid concrete beginning middle and ending to a plotline. And futhermore when I turn off the t.v. I would like to think that I could describe in breif detail exactly what it was that went on in the movie/series that I just watched. I guess for me it was all a little too vague.

But at any rate I digress back to the topic at hand....comedic anime. I truely believe that an anime can be non-comedic but also non-morbid at the same time. I think its between these two extreames that my tastes lie. Im not sure how many people out there share my perticular views but I guess thats just kinda the way that I see it.
Old 23-12-2002, 08:16 PM   #28   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
re: Lain

This is a very artsy/impressionistic/surrealistic anime which is desgined to make a subconscious connection to the viewer. To me, it makes little sense to try to think about it while watching it. Just sit back and experience it and think about it after. This is why it is one of my all-time favorite animes.

I agree there is little humor in this series. (It does not need it)
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2002, 02:19 PM   #29   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
I like there to be a good solid concrete beginning middle and ending to a plotline.
My my, picky aren't we? J/k.

Well, I'd still recommend Lain, because it's one damn good anime, but if that's not your cup of tea, go with something like Rurouni Kenshin OVAs (the so-called Samurai X stuff). I forgot completely about that, but luckily Drizzten brought it up... it's very good, has no humor in it, and the animation is excellent. One of my favorite anime.

Or else, icie mentioned Vampire Princess Miyu. That would be good too. I prefer the OVAs over the series, so I'd recommend those for your viewing enjoyment.

And Grave of the Fireflies. That's a movie that every anime fan should see at one point or another. Extremely good, and very sad.

dheu