Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 02:24 PM   #1   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Animeboards.com server downtime [Jan 29, 2004 - Apr 7, 2004]

Well it's been a stressful 10+ week downtime due to factors beyond my control I've been trying to sell off some of my computer gear to raise some funds but since that wouldn't be enough, I been looking at arranging other temporarily hosting accommodations for Animeboards.com and sites.

Luckily, Pete and Alex of Disboards.com (a Werner Technologies company) has come to our rescue and has graciously offered to host Animeboards.com temporarily on their very beefy server setup below

Quote:
2 server setup consisting of a dedicated web server + dedicated mysql database server:

Web server:
Dual P4 3.06GHZ Xeon
2GB RAM
Raid 5 SCSI disks

MySQL database server
Dual P4 3.06GHZ Xeon
2GB RAM
Raid 5 SCSI disk
This is only a temporary solution for now. I helped Pete and Alex fine tune their company and forums' servers in the past so I guess it's good karma Please thank Pete and Alex of Disboards.com for their help!

Forum updates
  • I've moved Animeboards.com's DNS management over to Zoneedit.com so that I can in a moments notice point Animeboards.com domain to any server when necessary. It's what I've been using to allow me to post updates on Animeboards.com domain for the past couple of weeks downtime.
  • I also taken the time to update the forum software to the latest stable release, vBulletin 3.0 Gold which included new default images/icons as you can see on throughout the forums
  • Also, be aware that attachment thumbnail feature is current disabled since this server's PHP configuration hasn't been compiled to support GD library as yet. I'll be recompiling PHP for Pete and Alex to support GD and other required functions for vB3.
  • I've also added Sponsor of the Month links to top of forum home page as one of the ways for Animeboards.com to again start generating some income to support itself eventually.
  • The style, colour schemes etc are a work in progress and will be continuely changing with the help forum members' feedback and suggestions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still waiting on the outcome of the bad SCSI drive as it could be a false alert by server or could be real. Reminder, Daniel is sponsoring our server/hosting for free, so without pouring additional $$$ to make things go quicker, we'll have to be patient and wait for the final outcome to the solution to the problem (as outlined below). Unfortunately, right this moment I'm also financially very tight at the moment due to paying my taxes due + prepaying in advance next years tax on a quartely basis (arrrgh!!!!!!), so can't even afford to fork out to rent a temporary dedicated server (would cost ~US$300-400/month) to reopen Animeboards.com on

Animeboards.com's current server hardware specs are as follows:

Quote:
2U Rackmount
AMD Dual AthlonMP 2400+
2GB PC2100 REG ECC DDRAM
1x 18GB IBM 10k SCSI hdd - OS drive (one that is reporting failure)
1x 18GB Seagate 15k SCSI hdd - MySQL data drive
1x 80GB IDE backup drive - not mounted right now
If you AB members and visitors have any questions, suggestions or thoughts on this server crisis, please let me know. I've setup a contact me email form here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the server must be jinked, as that niggling problem I mentioned below turns out to be another SCSI hard drive failure probably a result of the original motherboard failure. Daniel has gone down to the datacenter, NAC.net which houses the server to check it out personally. The server is setup to email alerts to me and this was the last email I received from the server.

Quote:
IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
You should backup all the data on the hard drives listed below and replace them as soon as possible.
S.M.A.R.T has detected that they are not peforming within normal operating paramaters.

Disk Failure soon on /dev/sda

Device: IBM DDYS-T18350M Version: S96H
Device supports S.M.A.R.T. and is Enabled
Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
S.M.A.R.T. Sense: (56) SPINDLE IMPENDING FAILURE START UNIT TIMES TOO HIGH
Current Drive Temperature: 42 C
Drive Trip Temperature: 85 C
Current start stop count: 131206 times
Recommended start stop count: 2555920 times
As you can imagine, this may take a while so I have edited Animeboards.com domain's dns nameservers again via Zoneedit.com and pointed the domain to a temporary web space again so as to be able to inform visitors and AB members about what is going on.

Hopefully, the tech guys will be able to back up and transfer the data from the failing IBM scsi hard drive. The failing drive holds the OS, apache, and web files portions of the web sites while as far as I know, the other scsi hard drive which stores the forum and mysql database data is safe and unharmed.

Finally! After 6 weeks of downtime, Animeboards.com's original server motherboard has be replaced and the server is back up. There's a few niggling problems to be worked out. But I have updated the DNS name servers for the domains back to the original server (you're viewing this page from an alternate server) which means in 3-7 days time, visitors should be able to view Animeboards.com forum on the original server again.

Why down for so long ?

Before anyone says why it took so long to get a replacement dual cpu motherboard, may I remind AB members and visitors, hosting Animeboards.com and sites costs alot of money - easily AUD$8,000+ per year if you're renting servers which themselves if purchased would cost between AUD$4,000-6,500+. Since July 14, 2002, our friend, host and sponsor, Daniel @ Effectonline.com had specifically purchased the original dedicated server (which cost back then AUD$6,000-7,000) and hosted Animeboards.com and sites for free where it would normally have cost me AUD$800/month if I was renting!

Thank you Effectonline.com for your continued sponsorship. So folks, if your looking for paid hosting check out Effectonline.com's hosting plans here.

Technical difficulties:

The web server experienced a severe hardware failure when the Tyan dual AthlonMP motherboard died. According to the web host and sponsor effectonline.com, a replacement is being ordered in and the server rebuilt. The is a temporary site notice until then. I'll update you folks with the progress.

best regards

George / eva2000

Last edited by eva2000; 18-04-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:40 PM   #2   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Good to see AB back.

Now to rejust (again!) to the system.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:17 PM   #3   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
Well that's it. I can now wave goodbye to my free time. I will be ruled again by Animeboards.

Booooooooooooooooooo!!!
Old 06-04-2004, 10:53 PM   #4   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

hey Drizzt and Wolfie... yup AB members will no longer have free time again
Old 07-04-2004, 06:50 AM   #5   [permalink]
Majin LinK
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Majin LinK
nice, good work!
Old 07-04-2004, 07:28 AM   #6   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Great to be back.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:36 AM   #7   [permalink]
Bradster
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Bradster Send a message via MSN to Bradster
Reminder, Daniel is sponsoring our server/hosting for free, so without pouring additional $$$ to make things go quicker, we'll have to be patient and wait for the final outcome to the solution to the problem (as outlined below).

By this time I'm curious to know if Eva saved Daniel's life or has some particularly evil dirt on him because if I was in his place, the first time this happened definitely would've been the last for anyone but a paying customer, even if I did have thousands of extra dollars laying around to replace all this hardware. Is AB squatting on a particularly important server which has to be replaced if it goes down? Were other customers really in bad straights because of this?

Last edited by Bradster; 07-04-2004 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:53 AM   #8   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bradster
Reminder, Daniel is sponsoring our server/hosting for free, so without pouring additional $$$ to make things go quicker, we'll have to be patient and wait for the final outcome to the solution to the problem (as outlined below).

By this time I'm curious to know if Eva saved Daniel's life or has some particularly evil dirt on him because if I was in his place, the first time this happened definitely would've been the last for anyone but a paying customer, even if I did have thousands of extra dollars laying around to replace all this hardware. Is AB squatting on a particularly important server which has to be replaced if it goes down? Were other customers really in bad straights because of this?
Not sure what you're asking ?

It's all good with Daniel ..... he bought that dual AthlonMP 2400+ server specifically and solely for AB's use and no other site... in hopes of helping me make Animeboards.com one of the best Anime forums online

Daniel is an anime fan like me who I also helped in the past with server/biz related stuff for him (i'm a nice person and have helped alot of people ), so generously he offered to host AB and sites and has done since July 2002. I guess Daniel, like me has to worry about number #1 priority earning $$$, I believe Daniel was busy servicing his paying clients/earning a living hence the delays with the old server and investigating the SCSI failing drive. I could of risked running the forums on the old hardware, but if the SCSI disk did eventually fail, it would mean even more downtime and possibly losing the data.

Rather, that wait any longer, I decided to seek out alternate hosting for the forums, Animeboards.com. Plus, i was getting jealous everyone I know is upgrading to vB3 Gold, and I was still on vB3 RC3 at the time

Last edited by eva2000; 07-04-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:15 PM   #9   [permalink]
TwilightSky

Send a message via Yahoo to TwilightSky
Talking Yay!!!

YAY!!!!! AB is back! I'm sooo happy. I missed everyone. It feels so great to be back!
Old 07-04-2004, 09:26 PM   #10   [permalink]
EVA Type-R
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to EVA Type-R
Holy bejesus. Hellooooo AB.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:14 AM   #11   [permalink]
Panzer
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Panzer
yay ab is back! *drinks beer*
Old 08-04-2004, 02:37 AM   #12   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Hot damn its good to be back!!! Nice work with the site!! I must admit I thought that animeboards wasn't going to make it this time....but I glad everything turned okay.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:18 PM   #13   [permalink]
GouryG

Send a message via AIM to GouryG Send a message via MSN to GouryG Send a message via Yahoo to GouryG
Horray!

Glad to see the boards back up and running! Hopefully the board will soon have a permanent home once more in a stable and bulletproof server
Old 11-04-2004, 11:45 PM   #14   [permalink]
Radiskull
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Radiskull Send a message via AIM to Radiskull Send a message via MSN to Radiskull
Damn it's been awhile since I've seen these boards. Looking great though.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:28 PM   #15   [permalink]
NewGenesis

Send a message via ICQ to NewGenesis
Good to have the AB back
Closed Thread