Old 18-06-2004, 03:38 AM   #1   [permalink]
Marius
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Marius Send a message via AIM to Marius Send a message via Yahoo to Marius
Samurai 7

Has anyone else started watching this new anime that has only recently appeared?

It is supposed to be based on Akira Kurosawa's classic movie "The Seven Samurai" but not having seen the movie, I'm assuming the link between the two is there are seven samurai or something. Perhaps someone who's seen the movie can elaborate.

Anyway, I'd like to know what your opinions of the first 2 episodes so far. I thought it to be a pretty "out-there" storyline which so far seems to work fine. I enjoyed what I saw and hopefully the series will improve over the next few eps.
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2004, 05:01 PM   #2   [permalink]
Maxwell
Executive Member

The movie was great,even the american remake was ok,so I wonder...
Old 18-06-2004, 08:03 PM   #3   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Originally Posted by Marius
It is supposed to be based on Akira Kurosawa's classic movie "The Seven Samurai" but not having seen the movie, I'm assuming the link between the two is there are seven samurai or something. Perhaps someone who's seen the movie can elaborate.
Seven Samurai is about a village which hires seven samurai's to protect them from bandits .. well that's what I recall from reading the back of the DVD my friend lent me, I didn't end up watching it as it didn't seem real interesting and I'm not much of a fan of black and white 50's movies.

Hmm but my friend said the movie was good none the less, so if this anime is anything related to it I might check it out.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2004, 08:56 PM   #4   [permalink]
Marius
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Marius Send a message via AIM to Marius Send a message via Yahoo to Marius
Originally Posted by orochi X
Seven Samurai is about a village which hires seven samurai's to protect them from bandits .. well that's what I recall from reading the back of the DVD my friend lent me, I didn't end up watching it as it didn't seem real interesting and I'm not much of a fan of black and white 50's movies.
Ah ok, then it does stick to the same story. Just with giant robots....
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2004, 11:25 PM   #5   [permalink]
hellsinger

Send a message via AIM to hellsinger
well, it's loosely based on the movie
hellsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 11:58 AM   #6   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Originally Posted by Marius
Ah ok, then it does stick to the same story. Just with giant robots....
As said before very loosely, like there was no miko in the movie, it was just two farmers. Also this anime could not capture the feel of the movie, why people were desparate for food, how samurai's would lower themselves to payment in rice. Bandits are replaced by giant robots, personally I find this a bit farfetch and totally in contrast with the setting of the serie which is feudal japan. I'd say this serie could have been done better without the machines.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 12:55 PM   #7   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

We do get a glimps of the situation of the desprate need for food when their rice bucket got knocked. That seen with them gathering the rice was stronger than expected, although I don't know how it compares to the original.
thedarkmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #8   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Maybe because the movie was black and white that the situation felt a bit more grim. I prefer the movie to the anime.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:05 AM   #9   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

though i certainly enjoyed the first four episodes, i agree with Takahashi. i feel that the mechs take away from the story immensely. while still entertaining, the story should be something far more series. GONZO claims to be trying to stay true to the themes of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, yet they (thusfar) only graze the surface of such themes. such fantastical and bizarre events of the anime (mechs & sci-fi, bizarro villains, special powers, etc...) seem to take away from the deeper and more instrumental themes of Kurosawa's masterpiece. the anime is like a lighthearted, relaxed, "cool" representation of Seven Samurai. it's mostly missing the core seriousness of the original film.

i'll still keep up with it though. it's entertaining enough, and i'm interested in watching the creative liberties develope in contrast to the original.

glad i'm not paying to watch it on television though. blegh.
Old 15-08-2004, 02:39 AM   #10   [permalink]
Shadow War
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Shadow War Send a message via AIM to Shadow War
I find this series to be awersome, lots of action and stuff. I think it is best to not think about what it is based on and come along for the ride.
Shadow War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 07:52 PM   #11   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
Hey, someone has already started a Samurai 7 thread.

I've seen the first half of this series at my local anime society and was quite impressed. I will admit that I was uneasy to begin with but, in all honesty, I found this thouroughly entertaining. And like any good series, I was eager to see more. I liked the action, the comedy and the interetsing designs. And I do believe everyone else thought so too: I could hear people cheering when Kambei appointed Katsushiro the fifth samurai and some of my friends were already taking bets on who was going to die.

One comment from my friends at the society implied that Gonzo, following on from Vandread and Last Exile, seem to be getting better with their series. Indeed, they seem to be taking this anime seriously (unsurprising considering the enormity of it) and show obvious signs of really putting a lot of effort into making this anime a great one.

I guess one of the inevitable effects of this new series is that it will inspire people to go and hunt down the original source material. I know i did: Last Saturday, i saw the first half of the Samurai 7 series - Less than a week later, I purchased the original movie on DVD.
I believe that any series should stand on it's on feet - Drawing comparisons is kinda like being indifferent. That being said, I don't really want to slam this new series as a complete bastardised version of Kurosawa's film (like a lot of people are doing). If Gonzo are going to suggest that this a re-interpretation (but still retain the general themes) than I'm happy to go with that. I like the steampunk setting and I'm not bothered by the presence of mechs (even if they look too much like the Vandread-Dita). After all, Kurosawa told his story in 3 hours. Gonzo have to do it in thirteen...
Hey, if Gonzo stay's too close to the original source, than they'll just replicate the original source and achieve....erm....not much.

I'm enjoying this series dammit! To hell with what the Kurosawa purists think!

But ultimately, it should be pointed out that Kurosawa's epic triggered a formula that many people have replicated ever since.
Thus, the concept of the Seven Samurai follows these rules:
- A group of warriors are given a task to complete. They numbered seven as this is a numeral that represents completeness.
- There is no hierarchy but there is a central charatcer (who usually has to do the task and pulls everyone together)
- Each of the seven warrriors has a unique talent which adds to the group
- One of them is actually a 'hidden' character in that he hides something from everyone else that only comes into play at the climax
- And finally, and most importantly, the warrior's motivation is purely voluntrary.
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote