Old 20-04-2003, 05:19 PM   #1   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Kaleido Star

Anyway, I just got back from Anime Boston where ADV says one of the new shows that they are "really looking forward to" is Kaleido Star. (The words of the president and founder of ADV himself.) They are even pushing for this show to be on US TV, and it will be released REALLY soon in the US already. (My guess is before the end of 2003.)

Kaleido Star is the new series co-produced by ADV and just started airing in Japan on April 3rd. It is directed by Junichi Sato, the director of Sailor Moon, Princess Tutu, Pretear, Maho Tsukai-tai!, Gate Keepers, and Ojamajo Doremi. (Mostly ADV titles...) Animation is by GONZO.

The story centers around Sora, an orphan who comes to America to fulfill her dream of becoming a circus performer at the famous Kaleido Stage.

The circus performer idea seems fairly new and I'm it looks like it was influenced by the colorful, costume acrobatics style of Cirque du Soleil.

I've only read one review of it that suggested it was just mediocre (based on one episode alone). I can say that after seeing the online Kaleido Star trailer and a new ADV trailer at Anime Boston (the same one used to pitch it to TV), that the animation quality itself is definitely top-notch. As for the story, I haven't a clue.

Anyway, I have high hopes for this series and I'm looking forward to it too. (And its not fansubbed anywhere, since obviously it was licensed before it was even made.)

Anyone seen/heard of this series yet?

Last edited by jennwenn; 20-04-2003 at 05:27 PM.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2003, 07:05 PM   #2   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
i have a question...by co-produced by ADV, does it mean that ADV actually had a hane in story structure? or is the the kind of 'co-produced' that ADV only paid for production?
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2003, 07:34 PM   #3   [permalink]
Sylvan
Executive Member

it means the ADV president drew all the cels, scanned them and emailed them to gonzo to do finishing touches on it.... or it could mean that ADV is paying the people to do the show i dont know
Sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2003, 10:02 PM   #4   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatal Outlaw
i have a question...by co-produced by ADV, does it mean that ADV actually had a hane in story structure? or is the the kind of 'co-produced' that ADV only paid for production?
I wanna know too. I'm thinking they put up the money and maybe offer their approval of story/art/cast?
Old 20-04-2003, 10:13 PM   #5   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
If I had to take a guess from the way that they're pushing this series, it would more than likely be just a financial investment. ADV seems more a like a company interested in making investments than a company interested in creating an actual product. My guess is that they put a lot of money into the creation of the this series and want a significant financial return on it in terms of television licensing (where all the real money is). While I think the idea behind the series is really interesting, this doesn't seem like the kind of breakout series that ADV thinks it will be. Then again, I'd need to see that trailer. Anyone know if it's online?
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2003, 01:23 PM   #6   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Here's a few more views on it

http://www.noated.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=52981

And since the subbers are on Aniverse and it was licensed before it aired I'll doubt they are going to stop.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2003, 05:40 PM   #7   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

So there are fansubbers out there? They're really slow then! I guess shoujo series like this never get priority.

I also can't really see how Kaleido Star will be the next Sailor Moon or Fushigi Yuugi by any means, but it seems interesting. I think the show does have potential and I can't wait to see how it will do though. The TV trailer that I saw did try to make it seem incredibly deep and full of suspense as a story about "acheiving your dreams" and such. The trailer itself was really well-done, imagine a much-hyped feature film's trailer.

Also, it takes place in America and features both American and Japanese characters (and other nationalities) which should endear it to the American audience. (Probably the line of thought of ADV.)

Last edited by jennwenn; 21-04-2003 at 05:46 PM.
Old 21-04-2003, 10:50 PM   #8   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Project Akira
ADV seems more a like a company interested in making investments than a company interested in creating an actual product.
they're the ones that are actually making Mutineer's Moon though (As in character designs, strucyture, script, etc). i have no hopes for it since one of the worst writers/ADR Director in history of anime is supervising it (thats Matt Greenfield- he seriously needs to find synonyms for words)
Old 07-12-2004, 09:11 PM   #9   [permalink]
Cetacious
Executive Member

Send a message via MSN to Cetacious
Talking

It's airing on CN for Latin america now and I love it! It's so extremely shoujo, completely focused on the "think positive" crap and friendship and endurance... A real glucose injection, pink bomb. I don't use to like this sord of thinks, but it's just so extreme that it gets interesting. Animation is very well done, too. If you want a shoujo overdose, this is the one. Secondary effects warning: Don't use if you're alergic to shoujo. Might affect digestive functions.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:16 PM   #10   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Fatal Outlaw
they're the ones that are actually making Mutineer's Moon though (As in character designs, strucyture, script, etc). i have no hopes for it since one of the worst writers/ADR Director in history of anime is supervising it (thats Matt Greenfield- he seriously needs to find synonyms for words)
wow, one and a half years later, Mutineer's moon just dissappeared. havent heard of it since...