Old 26-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #46   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Originally Posted by Zachalmighty
i know nothing about the industries licenscing laws and i dont beleive that having one box set allows me to download all the free anime i want.
I don't blame you on that one, but you must have heard about the big napster case years ago and STILL continues today, the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) recently just started cracking down on torrent sites. While not related to anime, it very well fits into that category.

Quote:
Thats assumption no. 2 you made and the only licensed anime i download via torrent is Naruto and when it comes in DVD box set i buy it.
Good, that's how I do it as well, except I donated thousands of my money to the anime industry. Last time I counted, and this was back in 2002, I had around 300 anime dvd's (both from Japan and USA), and that's not counting the stuff I bought in the last 2 years. All together, I'd say I spent almost $9000 on anime alone, and that's probably why I'm broke right now

Quote:
(I bet your a christian)
Now that's just wrong.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #47   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Westlo I've already pointed out that I dont expect the subbing of Naruto to completely stop. I've covered that base in saying that it'll only be a matter of time. The difference between anime torrents and normal torrents is that anime requires subbing. There are probably fewer than 1,000 individuals who sub atm. Considering that over 4,000 currently have lawsuits against em for p2p, I doubt it'd be hard to do surgical strikes against these groups. Hell, nuke 1 team in court and you'll prolly scare 3 teams into ceasing. Its just not worth it yet, but it will be.
Furthermore, anime uses legitimate seed sources. Normal torrents/ftps are often placed on compromised servers. 'Warez' is only uploaded from home if you're an idiot.

Bootleggers arent an issue, because leechers dont pay for their anime. Bootleggers dont give their anime out free, just cheap..and with crappy subtitles.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #48   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Bootleggers arent an issue, because leechers dont pay for their anime. Bootleggers dont give their anime out free, just cheap..and with crappy subtitles.
There's a chance that I misinterpreted that quote above, but...

Originally Posted by First two paragraphs of a Wired article
SAN DIEGO -- Worried that as much as a third of Japanese animation products in the United States may be counterfeit, the largest anime distributor in the United States is fighting back in court.

Earlier this month, Bandai Entertainment announced that it would file lawsuits against five companies it accuses of pirating its videos and other merchandise. The unauthorized products may be worth $300 million a year, estimated Bandai attorney Cynthia Nishimoto.
I leave it to you if it's an issue or not.

full article:
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,...w=wn_tophead_6
Old 27-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #49   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Yeah I've been saying bootleggings a bigger issue for years fatal like you and I've tryed to let them know that it's going to get worse with mkv files but these ppl continue to go back to fansubs which in the scheme of things are insignificant and probably create more sales than what they stop.

Love Hina's tv ratings in japan were pretty crappy, why was it so hyped on the internet?

*whistles*

Would any anime that's not shown on CN actually have any hype if it wasn't for fansubs?

Westlo I've already pointed out that I dont expect the subbing of Naruto to completely stop. I've covered that base in saying that it'll only be a matter of time

That's why you said you don't think another ep would be subbed?

And you will be saying it's only a matter of time in 5 years than in ten than in 20 etc

Last edited by Westlo; 27-02-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 01:03 PM   #50   [permalink]
Zachalmighty

Send a message via AIM to Zachalmighty Send a message via MSN to Zachalmighty
Originally Posted by Fatal Outlaw
I don't blame you on that one, but you must have heard about the big napster case years ago and STILL continues today, the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) recently just started cracking down on torrent sites. While not related to anime, it very well fits into that category.

Good, that's how I do it as well, except I donated thousands of my money to the anime industry. Last time I counted, and this was back in 2002, I had around 300 anime dvd's (both from Japan and USA), and that's not counting the stuff I bought in the last 2 years. All together, I'd say I spent almost $9000 on anime alone, and that's probably why I'm broke right now

Now that's just wrong.
I was just kidding with the christian jioke
Thats alot of anime you buy!
Awake me not: Hush, whisper low
Zachalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #51   [permalink]
Zachalmighty

I have a question what anime is your avatar from fatal outlaw? Its a kinda off topic question!
Old 27-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #52   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Zachalmighty
I have a question what anime is your avatar from fatal outlaw? Its a kinda off topic question!
.hack//Tasogare no Udewa Densetsu, aka .hack//Legend of the Twilight. Currently airing (for some months now I believe) on CN, Fridays (technically Saturday) at 1:30 AM right after Gundam SEED.
Old 27-02-2005, 08:54 PM   #53   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
To clarify:

Bootlegs are an issue to the Japanese market, because JAPANESE can buy them. Westerners wont get much out of useless subtitles that are common with Bootlegs.

Yes, I said I did not expect to see another ep of Naruto subbed. But it being subbed again does not make my entire point invalid. It just means ppl love crappy anime more than I realised. The show is crap. In 120 episodes Ive seen enough content for a 26 episode series. If Naruto becomes the next DBZ or Pokemon, I'll laugh on the graves of those who wanna try and take western companies on.

If no action by 5 years time, then no action. Anime can only get so popular before its simply 'normal' and on the same level as all other things. Similarly digital issues of the nowday will have to be resolved within 10 years because soon we're going to have the technology to quite efficiently store entire decades of music in smaller storage devices than a CD album. Which will only create more piracy cos whose gonna pay $30 for 1/1000th of a storage device's capacity?
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 12:09 AM   #54   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Hey I agree with you on the quality of naruto itself, it's just the latest dbz to me but i's fun to watch Narutards liken it to shakesphere

bleach is much better imo, if it was more like naruto the 20 eps so far would have been spread out over 50-60
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 05:10 PM   #55   [permalink]
Zachalmighty

Naruto is not crappy anime its just played out along time and the storyline is good! Bleachh is much better i just wish there was more ep. or it came out faster w/ the same quality.

Last edited by Zachalmighty; 28-02-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 27-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #56   [permalink]
Zauriel

Daimos
Grander Musashi RV
Gunslinger girl
Ultra Maniac
Zauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #57   [permalink]
Rei Ayanami

Eh...
Fruits Basket