Old 06-04-2005, 07:59 AM   #31   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
My friend lent me a Hentai DVD once and it was just bad. It was called Ai or something like that. It nearly made me ill. These doctors were torturing these poor girls.

But for something that I brought, well that would be Love Hina. Everyone was saying that it was great and funny. The problem was I have a feeling that "Everyone" was horny 15 year old kids who enjoyed the fan service over a storyline and/or comedy. Sometimes itís better not to believe the hype.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #32   [permalink]
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside Send a message via Yahoo to Darkside
Originally Posted by RiPPa
Is NGE too philosophical or symbolistic for ya, or is it just Shinjis whining?
Well Shinji's whining DOES annoy the crap out of me. I know people are gonna flame on after I say this but honestly...it's really NOT all that philosophical...people just THINK it is. But before you charge up your flare gun hear me out.

Ok once upon a time some guy decided after watching EVA that this vague, snore fest of an anime MUST be good because no one gets it. It's kind of like an art critic looking at a painting of a blank canvas with a tiny black dot in the middle an proclaiming it genius. News flash folks it's not genius, it's crap. But long ago someone with a good deal of influence decided that it WAS genius and started a trend (probably because he HIMSELF couldn't get it...so it MUST have been genius).

So now when people watch EVA they have years and years of artistic rhetoric bullshit behind them chanting "you must love this anime, it's so deep, it's so good, blah blah blah." So you sit there with your pepsi and popcorn and you watch it looking for the meaning of life, or the secret decoder ring, or the free prize inside...whatever. But as you do you start to realize..."oh my god...I don't understand this anime, I don't see the magic 3d picture pop out when I look to the back of the box, where is the SAILBOAT!!!" But you can't let on that you don't see it so you nod your head and proceed with the "ohhhh's and ahhhhh's" like every other artistic robot proclaiming that it's SHEER GENIUS!

Then at the end you're left with a feeling of inadequateness, and a sudden urge to shout "I want my 80 dollars back" to the heavens while shaking your fist in anger. Yes I too have an 80 dollar paperweight sitting on my desk in the shape of the EVA box set. Know why I keep it? To remind myself not to be drawn in by artistic propaganda. And to always "rent before you buy." :-)

But hey, who knows, maybe you are one of the few people who get joy out of this piece of garbage. But if you are please send me your address because next time I have to do my taxes I'll forward them to you, because you seem to enjoy boring, tedious, nonsense.
Old 18-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #33   [permalink]
RiPPa
Executive Member

lol, I don't watch it to understand or look into it to find the meaning of life or a greater meaning yada yada.. I just basically like it because its interesting to watch.
But why link philosophy with genius? Its fine and all but it sounds like the only way NGE can be appreciated is if you have an abstract mind.. lol anno must be a nut case then..
Anyways if individuals think its a piece of garbage then thats fine, everyone has their own views on everything
RiPPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #34   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Originally Posted by Darkside
Well Shinji's whining DOES annoy the crap out of me. I know people are gonna flame on after I say this but honestly...it's really NOT all that philosophical...people just THINK it is. But before you charge up your flare gun hear me out.

Ok once upon a time some guy decided after watching EVA that this vague, snore fest of an anime MUST be good because no one gets it. It's kind of like an art critic looking at a painting of a blank canvas with a tiny black dot in the middle an proclaiming it genius. News flash folks it's not genius, it's crap. But long ago someone with a good deal of influence decided that it WAS genius and started a trend (probably because he HIMSELF couldn't get it...so it MUST have been genius).

So now when people watch EVA they have years and years of artistic rhetoric bullshit behind them chanting "you must love this anime, it's so deep, it's so good, blah blah blah." So you sit there with your pepsi and popcorn and you watch it looking for the meaning of life, or the secret decoder ring, or the free prize inside...whatever. But as you do you start to realize..."oh my god...I don't understand this anime, I don't see the magic 3d picture pop out when I look to the back of the box, where is the SAILBOAT!!!" But you can't let on that you don't see it so you nod your head and proceed with the "ohhhh's and ahhhhh's" like every other artistic robot proclaiming that it's SHEER GENIUS!

Then at the end you're left with a feeling of inadequateness, and a sudden urge to shout "I want my 80 dollars back" to the heavens while shaking your fist in anger. Yes I too have an 80 dollar paperweight sitting on my desk in the shape of the EVA box set. Know why I keep it? To remind myself not to be drawn in by artistic propaganda. And to always "rent before you buy." :-)

But hey, who knows, maybe you are one of the few people who get joy out of this piece of garbage. But if you are please send me your address because next time I have to do my taxes I'll forward them to you, because you seem to enjoy boring, tedious, nonsense.

I think its an anime whose popularity comes from peoples ability to relate and appreciate certain aspects of the story.
As I was telling Anna the other day. "If you hate Shinji, you dont need this anime. You're healthy. If you dont hate Shinji, chances are that you're in pain and you're waiting for Anno Hideaki to give you the solution".

Shinji was a kid that was lost. Who wanted to run away but felt obligated to stay. Socially awkward and unable to escape the downward spiral of self-hate, one can only sit there and wait for the light.
Ive seen a LOT of anime the last few years. I couldnt begin to count how much Ive seen. Ive had ADSL since 2002, and its been downloading anime pretty much everyday for 3 years. I have not seen many anime that compare with NGE. I often tend to think of NGE as sitting on some edge of the anime world. "Anime but not". I try to imagine how it is to see the series as just another anime, but its hard to do when its your first anime. Many other anime are just stories, rather than interactions with the viewer.

Its like books. One of my favourite authors is Terry Goodkind. Sure, you can read his books for fights between wizards and dragons. But its not *really* about wizards and dragons. Its about *our* world. Once again, this can be found in many many sci-fi books. You think you're reading about space aliens (and sometimes you are, just an easy sell story) othertimes you're reading pure symbolism.

That said, I think that NGE is quite average if you dont have the emotional component. I cannot stand weakling characters who have to be dragged to their destiny. But thats because NGE helped me see it.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #35   [permalink]
Squall Leonhart
Forum Addicted

Send a message via MSN to Squall Leonhart
Worst one I've ever seen personally.

Ken Doh Maru.

That's 15 bucks and an hour of my life i'll never get back....

I burnt it.
Old 20-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #36   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Originally Posted by iwakura
Urutsodoski, or however that nightmare thing is spelled!
Well speaking of Hentai

Four Play

Flase advertisement first off, no four ways, and I made the mistake of getting the DUB version. I rarely say dubs are crap but they literally just dragged people off the street, had them read the script once while recording it, had them exagerate moans and kick them out.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #37   [permalink]
Squall Leonhart
Forum Addicted

...I think I was in that...

maybe it was a weird dream...
Old 20-04-2005, 04:28 PM   #38   [permalink]
bigbi

Oh My Goddess
Magic Knight Rayearth
Cardcaptor Sakura
and sooooo many more...
Old 20-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #39   [permalink]
Squall Leonhart
Forum Addicted

Banner and Crest of the stars...

I actually fell asleep watching them. People that know me know that's unheard of.