Old 13-07-2005, 11:42 PM   #1   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Kakyuusei 2 - An anime to forget

Dont watch it. SPoilers contained within. What, you want this anime in a pristine condition?

Unless you enjoyed over-analysing NGE to get symbolism out of every goddamn scene, you probably wont be into this one. It doesnt make a lot of sense the first time through, and I'll be damned if Im gonna watch that crap a second time.

IMO the designer of the anime used every cheap trick he could find. Minimalising animation (have characters stand there with noting but their hair waving), maximising flashbacks (some werent even friggin relavent. My guess is that he had so little original animation in the first place that there wasnt enough to flashback to), way over-use of music effects. This one character had a really annoying theme music that played every ------- time you saw him. Every episode Id hear the 'flashback sound' at least 6 times. Over-use of 'mystery'. There is a character that is just not ------- explained at all. He's there throughout time. He seemingly can stop time..sometimes. I dont think he can travel back in time however. But he is never ever explained.

Basically, the anime appears to be a love story with a lot of nails left poking out of the wood. Fans of this anime would have to be the sappyists losers in the world if they think the best use of a time travelling guy is to set couples up.
Oh, and a robot wearing glasses. WHAT THE ----? This one blows my mind. Why the hell would a robot need glasses?
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 11:53 PM   #2   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Probably the robot eyes are made out of waters or there's a human being in there. This anime sounded stupid. How did you get it in the first place? If the animation sucks that bad then don't bother letting me see it.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 02:45 AM   #3   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Alas, it is fansubbed. Every few months I got to a fansub hub and search for "complete". This lets me get a complete (unlicensed) anime.

Ive gotten a lot of crap this way. What I dont understand is how some of these come to be subbed in the first place.

Another trashy one I got recently was "Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai"

A good, recently completed anime is 'Beck'. A good anime in progress is "Zettai Shonen".

An anime that I find a bit hard to judge is "Jinki Extend". Its another complete series I recently got. However it didnt fit into a mini-series too well. I think a full 26 episodes of it wouldve worked beautifully.

But yeh, Kakyuusei also broke a few (of my made up) rules with story. Its very risky to jump forward and back in time in an anime if you aren't going to carry the characters to that place. My reasoning is that it reminds the viewer that whatever they're seeing is a tiny drop of an entire life, which is a tiny drop in humanity's pool at that time, which is a tiny portion of humanity's history. If you do that, it makes whatever you're seeing seem suddenly pointless. It doesnt matter whether love or goals are achieved. Because you fast forward to when everyone is old, or worse, dust.
So for this anime to do that fast forwarding all the time, I think it may've been trying to achieve something. Perhaps make the viewer recall their own nostalgic past. Im not sure. Which is why I think it can be analysed, but in the end I suspect the anime would still seem cheap.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote