Old 19-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #16   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Again, I agree with what you're saying oppa. Actually, it's been awhile since there's been a good discussion about anime so this was refreshing. Managed to bring out the best in both of our viewpoints about this series. It's just too bad that not enough people here have seen this anime.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #17   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Yeah. It's been a while since I've delved into an anime... sure, I can type paragraphs upon paragraphs about anything, but it's rarely this "deep." A bit amusing that it was about an anime such as this one.

As much as I may sound like I'm defending how good this anime is, I still have mixed feelings for it. I wonder how I'll view it, say, a year from now. For instance, my comments on how this anime used characters, themes, and plots that have been done many times, but managed to change it enough to seem original.

I figure, after some time passes, I can view it more objectively and really see if that was true.
Old 22-01-2006, 12:54 AM   #18   [permalink]
Ado
Forum Junkie

Send a message via MSN to Ado
Fun series to watch for the most part. As the story moved closer to the end I found that the characters started to become more and more frustrating to watch. Honoka was probably the least frustrating; right after Hatori (who wasn't a major character anyways). Yamato was way too ignorant and obnoxious, and it seemed to progress as the series went on, all untill the last two episodes where I thought he handled himself pretty well. Suzuka got a little sympathy for a bit when they told us about Tsuda, but it didn't seem to ever justify how she treated Yamato (although an idiot, he didn't deserve most of the things she sent his way). Finally, Honoka was awesome, but when she broke up with Yamato and then said she'd confess to him again... terrible.

I liked the whole beginning, it was different, and a little fresh (my only other experience with this genre was Love Hina). The male lead wasn't oblivious to the feelings of the other girls, he had to work to get what he wanted as opposed to just being there, and there were even points where he thought he knew what he wanted and then realised he didn't. My favourite character has to be Hatori though. I always found it funny that whenever Yamato had a Suzuka problem he'd go to Hatori. The ending wasn't anything spectacular, but it was better than some endings I've seen. It left you feeling satisfied, yet a little sad it was over. Overall, just a great story about a late bloomer who finally grew up.

Old 22-01-2006, 03:29 AM   #19   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Heh, I totally agree. Even now, I'm quite aggravated by Yamato and Suzuka, but the only reason I tolerate it is because they're kids and that's how kids can be in relationships. Yamato is ignorant and immature not only because he's 15, but he's also a "country boy." Suzuka has a cold heart because she had to experience something terrible when she was only 13 years old. She's cold towards Yamato because it's almost a defense mechanism. She gets interested in him, so her subconscious automatically tries to keep him away so as to not get hurt again. Maybe it was extreme and unfair, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

Oh, thinking about it now, there were a few times where Yamato would blow up on Suzuka, and that would cause Suzuka to soften her expression, and even apologize to Yamato. At first, I just thought that was a typical thing to do in anime as this one, but maybe not. Suzuka was cold not totally by choice. She just had a hard time accepting a new interest. Some of it is due to stubborness I'm sure, but she really didn't want to get hurt again, and Yamato was someone that she felt could get close to her. Therefore, she was cold by default. Of course, everyone has a line and once that was crossed, Yamato would explode. Those few moments when that happened, it would knock Suzuka back to reality, and cause her to amend what just happened. So maybe it wasn't just a typical thing to do for anime, but it actually had some relevance. That presumes you agree with why Suzuka was such a bitch though.

Wow, so your only comparison to Suzuka is Love Hina? That's quite a difference there. Sure, they're both shouen romance comedies but they're practically at opposite ends of the spectrum within that genre. But, it's cool that you liked Suzuka. It has its faults, but it's one of the more unique animes within this genre (and I've seen ALOT of shouen romance comedies), so it stands out for me.
Old 23-01-2006, 12:55 AM   #20   [permalink]
Ado
Forum Junkie

Send a message via MSN to Ado
I don't think she was protecting her own emotions, she seemed to be the most together when Tsuda died. It was more like she didn't want to betray him. Just your classic case of not letting go. But it made what happened at the end so much more powerful.