Old 04-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #16   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by EVA fiend
I think you're probably right.., there are currently 14 Studio Ghibli titles available to order/pre-order from both amazon & play.com..,
Even then, Disney is dragging it's feet on the Takahata Ghibli films. From a financial standpoint it makes sense. They only bought the Ghibli library for the Miyazaki films since he is a name in the US whereas Takahata isn't quite as well known. If I remember correctly, neither Only Yesterday nor Pom Poko were translated when they were broadcasted here unlike the rest of the movies. I get the feeling that those two movies are sort of going to be dumped like My Neighbors The Yamadas was; put out with little fanfare in order to fulfill the contract. Which is too bad because Takahata is a very gifted animator who I think has expanded the kind of subject matter that animated films can cover and still make them work as animated films.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #17   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Only Yesterday is my favourite out of all the Studio Ghibli movies, but most folks probably won't even notice the difference between Takahata & Miyazaki.., all they'll see is the Studio Ghibli label so they'll probably buy them anyway..,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #18   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by EVA fiend
Only Yesterday is my favourite out of all the Studio Ghibli movies, but most folks probably won't even notice the difference between Takahata & Miyazaki.., all they'll see is the Studio Ghibli label so they'll probably buy them anyway..,
Only Yesterday is the one I want to see the most and I'm very fortunate I got a friend to tape it for me. The clips and pieces of it I've seen look phenomenal in just how simple yet beautiful they are. I just hope it gets released on DVD sooner rather than later.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #19   [permalink]
umoa

Send a message via AIM to umoa
disney is coming out/came out with some. my friend works for disney so i get each dvd at around 8$ totoro n whisper of the heart comes out march 8th or something i think.
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote