Old 11-02-2006, 03:14 AM   #1   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
The Power of the Sword?

In a few anime's that I've seen the skilled swordsman has got his razor sharp sword and cut the other person in half with it. While I know that it is possible to cut off a limb or someone's head with a sword, is it possible to actually cut someone in half with a sword?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #2   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Actually they used to use prisoners to test how sharp a katana is, they just stack them upon each other and the sword is graded on how many bodies it can slice through in one swing.

edit:
Found this on wikipedia on the testing of swords.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tameshigiri

Last edited by Takahashi; 11-02-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #3   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

If you think about it, it doesn't sound that impossible. The biggest resistance to cutting off someone's head at the neck or an arm/leg would essentially be one large bone, be it the spinal cord or humerus or what-not. Cutting a body in half through the waste, under the ribcage, only has one large bone as well, the lower spinal cord. The additional resistance would only come from more mass (fat, some muscle) and organs... all of which would hardly be a factor to a skilled swordsman.

I would think it'd be harder to cut someone's leg through the thigh, since the femur is one of the strongest bones in the body.

Of course, this is all based on my limited knowledge of human anatomy and bone structure. I'm just going by what I vaguely remember from my early college days. Or late high school days. I forget which.. or both... beh.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #4   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Question Hum curious dicussion...

Curious discussion,

but actually the hardest part of cutting through a person is knowing how to use a sword correctly. The body, naturally, is harder to cut through in the bone sections, however, due to the way Japanese swords are made, bone WILL cut. It really depends on the swordmaster was to whether he is able to make the cut or not because the technique, strength, and speed of the cut is what it comes down to.

--Shin
Old 15-02-2006, 03:13 AM   #5   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
What about long ways? Can someone be cut from head to toe? There are a lot more bones to go through if you go that direction.
Old 15-02-2006, 03:26 AM   #6   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Depends on the sword as well. Many swords have a fair bit of weight behind em. I reckon a fairly dense/heavy sword, with room for 2 hands and coupled with a curved blade would cut through a body easily.

But lengthways? Hmm, I cant have any informed opinion on this. But Id say it depends on the sword and the guy using it.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 04:37 AM   #7   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Well if you have sword like Gatsu from Berserk, and you can swing it like he does, sure why not. All you need is raise the sword above someones head and let gravity do the rest.
But if you read the wikipedia thing, they did mention cutting from shoulderblade to opposite side hips, the mean the sword goes through 2 very tough bones and sideway through your spine, so with a sharp enough sword and skilled enough swordsman, it is possible to cut someone vertically.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #8   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Well, if you go from shoulder blade to opposite side hips, the only bones you'd go through would be the spine and some ribs, all of which are rather weak. This presumes you go through closer to the neck, near the collarbone, and exit just above the hips in the lower waist. This avoids both the shoulderbone and hipbone, which as stated, are much thicker bones.

Vertically, it probably has been done but it'd be very tough. The hardest part to go through would be the skull, and because the human neck is so weak, using a large broad sword would just crush the head into the body opposed to actually slicing through. If one used some type of katana or longsword and of course is wielded by someone skilled, then I suppose it's possible. Still, I'm having trouble imagining a sword that can both go through the skull without "squishing" the head and also retain enough force to exit the pelvis area... though, if I visualize what the bone structure is in that area, it really just consists of alot of smaller bones.
Old 15-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #9   [permalink]
umoa

Send a message via AIM to umoa
i think thereotically it comes down to your technique/strength.
i mean cmon how many people can actually say " yes you can or no you cant?" unless you are some kinda freak murderer which in that case i really dont want to know.
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #10   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Originally Posted by umoa
i think thereotically it comes down to your technique/strength.
i mean cmon how many people can actually say " yes you can or no you cant?" unless you are some kinda freak murderer which in that case i really dont want to know.

A butcher might know, they cut through flesh all the time.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #11   [permalink]
Shinobe333

a Butcher....

ha, ha ,ha ha

yeah, a butcher just might know...