Old 13-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #1   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Red face Samurai 7, gotta start a fresh discussion about this...

Anyone else out there who is watching the DvD series oif this? It's wonderful and I'd really like to start a discussion on it.
--Shin
Old 13-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #2   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Not to start the discussion off already off-topic, but I'm still waiting to hear your explanation of how the Matrix is related to Seven Samurai.

Oh, and to put this back on-topic... ummm....uhhhh..... Is this series... worth buying?

... Or something like that.

Old 13-02-2006, 11:40 PM   #3   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Matrix like.... hum let me see if I can explain...

Well, in one sense of the word, Matrix is about a small world controlled by "others" through terror. In this anime, the same is true. During the medieval time of Japan, the Samurai ruled with iron fists and the "peons" were @ their mercy. They were nothing but soil fodder, food producers, and baby makers. Well, that's the same in Matrix concerning humans.

As for the action sequences, you won't find much of "Matrix" there. But for depth of plot, it beats Matrix, hands down because the depth just keeps getting deeper as enemies become friends, friends betray each other, forgiveness is granted, and "sin" is exposed.

Both the Matrix and Samurai 7, however, have a very similar and strong thread - freedom. That God given, inseparable right we all have. Freedom from tyranny produced by oppressive governments.

Another neat parallel is between them is: how far will you go for what you believe?

Besides the theatrics of bouncing around walls, ceilings, and structures while fighting - typical in martial art films- that's all I can think of @ the moment... i'm kinda tired tonight....
--Shin
Old 15-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #4   [permalink]
Kurai Kodomo
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Kurai Kodomo Send a message via AIM to Kurai Kodomo
I have the first dvd of the series and...I guess it was ok.
Old 15-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #5   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Question Hum... ok?

Well, hum.... it's like anything, it takes time to get into it. But, if you like "old" and I mean OLD movies, the original is great. But its Black & White (B&W). This series takes the same classic theme and improvises on it. Not Improves but improvises.

However, it's still about people being oppressed and fighting for their freedom in a time when freedom was won by the sword & the gun not with pen and paper as we do today.

The "bandits" (nobusari) (probably misspelled, hee, hee) I see as the embodyment of war. They've become so de-humanized, they became machines - SLAVES to their passions, SLAVES to THEIR thirst for power and conquest, SLAVES. So, they impose slavery on others to feed their addition. Doesn't happen to parents who spend more time @ work than with they're family? Or singles who do the same instead of having a life outside of work?

The sword play is actually quite good, when they have it. However, the movie and the Anime are not about sword play, hack & slash, blood & guts. It's quite tame in that regard. But the depth of the story is really good.

When they explaine the "scent of battle" phrase, that totally blew me away. The Japanese really understand Sin in the Christian sense and are not afraid to call a spade a spade. It's awesome how the youngest Samurai, Katshiro (misspelled again), finally learns what it means to actually defend someone with his life.

The first DvD, I really liked the "play" between Ninuku and Komachi - the little girl. She made an awesome "daughter" in a sense for Ninuku. Also, you find out more about who he really is in the 2 or 3 DvD. There is a LOT hidden in the 1st DvD and it's cool how things unravel.

Meaning, there are deeper reasons why the Lead Samurai says NO to Ninuku and to Katshiro about coming on this journey. He sees something that they are lying to themselves about. The Lead Samurai is a VERY honest, truthful, and is a nobel samurai. They did a good job of portraiting him as such.

Oh, with the first DvD, it helps to learn to enjoy the joking around, the seriousness, and the manner in which the story is told. One has to see the Samurai who are not "fully" human but more machine than human as ones who "sold" out and droped the samurai code for $$$$ and they really have no honor. Then see the ones with great skill, though they too may be cyborg types, as the ones who kept the code because they kept their Humanity! Their compassion as men. Honor is the key to this series and to pick up on that point really helps when seeing the samurai who turn the group down "take" the food offered but say NO only AFTER eating - feeding their addiction & taking advantage of the weaker.

Also, the rice.... it's a very important point in the movie. The rice is the LIFE BLOOD of those people. Without they die, literally!!! Just like in days of old when most folks farmed. They did not have fridges, coolers, & stores as we do. So, if they didn't grow anything, they starved and died.

When they were picking up the rice after it had been smashed, that was a VERY important scene. 1) Their LIFE'S BLOOD was spilling out all over the ground along with their hopes. 2) When Katshiro bent down to help, he was like the Good Samaritan in Scripture. Both of these incidents would NOT go unnoticed by the Japanese audience but would be seen as "shock" and then praise to the young samurai who was so humble as to get on his knees to help someone less fortunate.

It helps to understand that the Samurai was and is like the Medieval Knights. Truly an "upper" class and getting on one's hands & knees to help a peon was UNHEARD Of!!

So, you might have to look deeper into social issues, the strong emphasis the Japanese place on Honor and Humility and look for characters who lie to themselves but eventually speak the truth about who they are when the time arises because they are around someone (the Lead Samurai) who shows them how to be a true samurai.
Old 15-02-2006, 11:50 PM   #6   [permalink]
Kurai Kodomo
Forum Addicted

I have seen the old black and white picture, it was alright too. I'd rather watch Zatoichi though...but that's just my opinion
Old 16-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #7   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Question Question

WHat's Zatoichi?

I don't know that one.
Old 16-02-2006, 12:05 AM   #8   [permalink]
Kurai Kodomo
Forum Addicted

A bunch of movies about a blind masseur who decided to pick up a sword. Zatoichi the blind swordsman
Old 16-02-2006, 12:11 AM   #9   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Lightbulb Heard of it!

Ok, now I know what you're talking about. But it's not an Anime is it? I think it's a live action film, if I remember correctly. Heard it was good too. In fact it reminds me of another B&W samurai flick (can't remember the name) but this guy just wanders around and is a GREAT samurai whos trying to stay out of trouble but always winds up in the middle of it.
Old 16-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #10   [permalink]
Kurai Kodomo
Forum Addicted

Ya it's live action I guess they make about 26 flicks
Old 17-02-2006, 01:03 AM   #11   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
It makes me kind of depressed to hear you guys talk about B&W movies so dismissively.... Poor Seven Samurai, your brilliance is nothing when judged by the color of your film.

As for your discussion of Samurai 7... I haven't seen such a long post on here since a bunch of us got in that huge religious debate a year or two ago. You, sir, are a Samurai 7 fanatic. As for what you're actually saying, I can't comment on it, because all I've seen is the original film.
Old 17-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #12   [permalink]
Merlion Emrys

Send a message via ICQ to Merlion Emrys Send a message via MSN to Merlion Emrys
I've seen the first disk and enjoyed it quite a lot. I figured theres a lot going on that we dont know about yet, and the cultural intricacies of it all certainlly make things interesting.

Personally, I dont think anyone gives Katchiro (or however you spell it) enough credit. He has a good heart and intentions.

He's a little on the hot side too.

It's all part of the conspiracy.
Merlion Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #13   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Originally Posted by dheu
It makes me kind of depressed to hear you guys talk about B&W movies so dismissively.... Poor Seven Samurai, your brilliance is nothing when judged by the color of your film.
Seriously, jesus. Seven Samurai and Akira Kurosawa changed film making, but they get no love. Watch Ikiru sometime and tell me you don't feel like crying and laughing at the same time.
Old 18-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #14   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Code:
Watch Ikiru sometime and tell me you don't feel like crying and laughing at the same time.
Sorry, Never heard of it. But yes, Jesus and Akira Kurosawa did change film making forever because both dealt with subtle human morals that are "quite" and not yelled @ the top of our lungs.

I love it when Kambe-sama (or something like that) deliberately dismisses 2 would be members because they were lying to themselves and by being around him long enough, they finally admitted the truth about who they were. However, so as to NOT spoil the coolness w/ which he exposes them, I won't tell you how. But it's in the 3rd DvD. I'm buying the 4th tomorrow! (which is actually very close now..... ha, ha!..

Oh, I'll have to check out Ikiru too. Sounds intriguing just like Zatoichi.
Old 18-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #15   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Anyone seen the 4th DvD yet? or even the 3rd?