Old 11-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #1   [permalink]
hakai
Forum Junkie

Disgaea....anyone like it?

I only skimmed through, if you can even do that for TV, and I don't like it already. Maybe my hopes were too high?
hakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #2   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

I don't know how far you're into the game, but it's one of the most popular SRPGs ever made, maybe this type of game isn't for you? Believe me, it's a lot better than even some of the other games in the same series, Phantom Brave for example is extremely annoying. Myself, I have all the games from the series they released in the US, and even some they didn't release outside Japan.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 AM   #3   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Mmm... I'm thinkin' Hakai is refering to the recently aired Anime and not the game.

Anime was ok. Nothing great but it was a decent watch. It was fun "watching" the characters while (briefly) playing the game and I got a laugh or two out of the anime so a few more episodes can't hurt. Since it's a short series, it can't turn out *that* bad......... yes, I love deluding myself.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #4   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
I only watched it because of the hype the games got, note I haven't played the game before.

I don't think I'm going to bother after watching the first episode, seems nonsensical and stupid. Prince of demons weakness is bouncing breasts of humans that just suddenly drop in by space ship which don't look like they fit in the series at all? But recovers when he lays his head on a flast chested angel?
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:50 AM   #5   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Do they use the game's VA cast?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #6   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by raynebc
Do they use the game's VA cast?
Yep.

The premise is strange, true, but in defense for the game, it didn't start off nearly as funky. Up to the point I played in the game, those silly space human weirdos were not in it. Besides that, the start of the anime is fairly similiar to the game but the first episode hardly covered anything so I can't say much about it yet.

If the anime strays too far from the game, I'll definitely drop the series.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #7   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

The anime did fine until the space morons got in.At least the demon girl will be introduced next episode and from what I've seen she seems to be the most popular character in the game.I really like the angel's clumsiness,it's very funny and cute

But since there are other beter new series arriving,I don't think I'll be putting much effort on following Disgaea
Old 12-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #8   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

The demon girl (Etna) is the main character of the Disgaea sequel, if I'm not mistaken, carrying over from her major charactor role in Disgaea 1. But it's out of place if they're introducing the Angel (Flonne) before Etna, it sounds like they're taking some liberty with the original plot.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 PM   #9   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

The series will seem strange and maybe dumb to you if you haven't played the game; but that's what the game was all about and that's its charm; its weird, unconventional, and quirky. Everything from the monsters to the characters to the entire world is a little on the funky side.

The space people are from Earth, and that seems weird because you have three worlds interacting with each other, but in the original Disgaea video game it was established that Human World, the Makai, and Heaven were all familiar with the existence of one another. Gordon in the video game was actually sent to Demon World to kill demons.

The first episode rushes things a little, but that's not a bad thing if they carry through with the benefits of a rushed first episode--that is--to establish the basics early on so that the rest of the story can flow freely without getting bogged down in the setup.

I like, and would like to seem them continue, to have liberties with the plot. They've done a good job with capturing the spirit of the characters and the world already, so if they continue to do at least that, then I don't care if they change the progression of the events--in fact I encourage it. Even if the anime were extremely good all the way through, if its plot mirrored the games plot from point A to point B I would be bored to tears because I'd be able to anticipate everything. The first episode surprised me by--well, surprising me. It was exactly what I wanted yet not what I expected, which for me is a promising start.

If you're a little shaky about the anime so far, well, only 1 episode has aired, so I'd give it another try for 2-3 episodes before deciding if its your cup of tea or not. It sounds like Episode 2 is going to set up the actual plot, and you'll probably learn more about the earthlings as well.

The episode previews also resemble the chapter previews Etna gives in the game, which IMO is reason enough to call it successful. I mean, that's just *right.*

Sorry to break it to you, but Etna isn't the main character of the Disgaea 2 video game. She features prominently in it, from what I hear, but the main characters are two new characters.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 02:05 AM   #10   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Oh well, I haven't been following up on Disgaea 2 very closely, besides seeing one or two trailers. The episode previews were definitely worth putting into the anime.