Old 23-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #1   [permalink]
Merlion Emrys

Send a message via ICQ to Merlion Emrys Send a message via MSN to Merlion Emrys
Just Finished Paranoia Agent(SPOILERS)

Greetings all. I just finished watching Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent. I enjoyed it quite a bit, it reminded me a little of Lain in overall nature and layout.

The story and characters were quite interesting, and there was plenty of mystery and many twists and turns.

The story seemed to have a theme of dealing with reality and standing up to problems, rather than than running away from them or trying to find temporary but fleeting relief.

Of course as is common with anime of this type, many unanswered questions are left open.

My biggest questions are:

Exactly what were Lil'Slugger and Maromi, or more specifically, were they indeed created by Tsukiko's mind and guilt, or are they entities that existed before and latched on to her and found expression through her situation?

Either way, another question arises: Does Tsukiko have some sort of special power or ability of the mind or could the same sort of thing happen to anyone?

How did Maromi become an "emotional crutch" for everyone in Tokyo, and the disapearnce of the Maromi dolls etc result in the whole Black Ooze situation?

Whats up with Maniwa and the Old Man?

And various things relating to the episode "Happy Family Planning"

What are your thoughts?

It's all part of the conspiracy.
Merlion Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #2   [permalink]
eddiefb3

???

I liked it to. Really Really Confusing. Sorry but i dont think i know the answer to any of those questions.

"With a Keen Eye for Details Only
One Truth Prevails!"
Jimmy Kudo

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Sherlock Holmes

Similar meanings
eddiefb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #3   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Well you can take comfort in knowing that by Sato Kon's own admission in the commentaries that the ep where lil' slugger is found dead was pretty much the true ending of the series. Kon mentions that having the three unrelated eps at the end was a great relief as it gave them some time to come up with an ending for the final eps. In fact the idea that Maromi created lil' slugger was last minute, Kon stating he somewhat regretted putting in an explanation at all but he didn't really have anywhere else to go.

As for slugger being everyone's quick fix in the series and the black ooze.. I think we can take that as the collective, everyone sharing eachothers thoughts and past at some levet etc etc This leads into the issue with the old man as well as his identity cetainly makes for some continuity issues otherwise.

As for Happy Planning well... the joke is on the trio trying to commit suicide in that ep isn't it?

Glad to see you enjoyed PA. Personally I think PA is one of the best anime series around only just falling short of Sato Kon's masterpiece Millenium Actress.

Last edited by MrBS; 24-06-2006 at 08:31 AM.
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #4   [permalink]
Merlion Emrys

Send a message via ICQ to Merlion Emrys Send a message via MSN to Merlion Emrys
Quote:
Well you can take comfort in knowing that by Sato Kon's own admission in the commentaries that the ep where lil' slugger is found dead was pretty much the true ending of the series

Hmmm. That seems very odd to me. For one, because it would be a pretty stupid ending on several levels. For another because, if I remember correctly, there was another attack while the Lil Slugger kid (makoto or whatever his name was) was still in custody, which would indicate that he was never intended to be the "real thing".
That would also have somewhat reduced the stories social and pyschological meanings and statements.

Perhaps he ment that it was the end of the series as a regular detective mystery.

Quote:
fact the idea that Maromi created lil' slugger was last minute
You mean Tsukiko?

Quote:
Kon stating he somewhat regretted putting in an explanation at all but he didn't really have anywhere else to go.

Well if thats what he comes up with at the last minute, I'd love to see what he would've managed with more planning.

Someone on some other site that I saw said they didnt think the end fitted the series very well, that it was too "action like", but I thought it fit well overall. Actually, the only part of the last episodes I really think should have been a bit smoother was when we went from having the two detectives pursuing the case, to having Ikari as a security guard, and Maniwa running around in a cape. That transition could have been done better.

Quote:
As for slugger being everyone's quick fix in the series and the black ooze.. I think we can take that as the collective, everyone sharing eachothers thoughts and past at some levet etc etc

That makes sense (and is also part of why it reminds me of Lain, the whole collective unconcious thing), but I still wonder were Lil'Slugger and Maromi actually creations of Tsukiko that then connected with others as well, or were they there already and found manifestation through her? If so why, and how?

Quote:
This leads into the issue with the old man as well as his identity

Well at the very end when the prematurely aged Maniwa does the "prohetic vision" thing like the Old Man used to, you get the feeling that this has all happened before, that there is some sort of cycle. Lil'Sluggers attack, and the presence of a crazy-seeming person who is aware of it.

Quote:
As for Happy Planning well... the joke is on the trio trying to commit suicide in that ep isn't it?
I suppose, in a sense. However I still wonder, did they die during the episode, or did it start with them dead? How did the girl die? Why did Lil'Slugger run from them?

It's all part of the conspiracy.
Merlion Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #5   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
There is a great bit of speculation to be found on wiki on paranoia agent for happy planning here

Yeah I meant the girl, whatever her name is... its been a while since I've watched it!

Last edited by MrBS; 24-06-2006 at 08:30 AM.
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 01:25 AM   #6   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Same here...I haven't seen it for a long time....Plus I was so confused...but I however understood it when I watched the last few episode of the anime.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote