Old 25-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Cool Looking for recommendations

Can anyone recommend some adult animes, either movies or series, to rent? I like stories that play with your head. The darker, the better. I am thinking of something along the same lines as Lain or Paranoia Agent.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #2   [permalink]
eddiefb3

Talking

I dont know that many, but i would say elfen lied has a weird story behind it. Its very graphic though. But the ending is very unexpeted. R.O.D the TV also has a lot of conspiracy in it when they find out the truth about their pasts and find out some things which i dont want to spoil for you. That is unless you have already seen it. One that reminded me of paranoia agent was Kino's Journey. Its not as crazy as it but still. Kino travels to different towns and each town is at a different stage in life. Some are futuristic, and some are old. That one is pretty cheap if you look into it. I bought the thinpak for about $25 even off amazon. I hope that helps.

As for movies i can name a few. Appleseed is a confusing one but looks great and is interesting once you get into it. Blood the Last Vampire was a little short but it got out the main point. Which is she is a vamire...As for any other ones, one that i still dont understand is Karas The Prophecy. which is part one of a two part. But the second half isnt coming out til later this year. But i have watched that one over and over and still dont get it...

"With a Keen Eye for Details Only
One Truth Prevails!"
Jimmy Kudo

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Sherlock Holmes

Similar meanings

Last edited by eddiefb3; 25-06-2006 at 07:40 PM.
eddiefb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thanks.

I've heard about Elfen Lied. Its on my Netflix list. So is Appleseed, although well down on my list -- it will be a while before I get around to watching it.

I'll take a look at Kino's Journey.
Old 26-06-2006, 02:41 AM   #4   [permalink]
eddiefb3

Lightbulb

Kino's Journey is definitely worth checking out. I looked it up for you and right here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

It is $22 brand new, and $2.50 for shipping. That is pretty good. It is the complete 13 episode series.

One Truth Prevails!"
Jimmy Kudo

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Sherlock Holmes

Similar meanings
Old 26-06-2006, 02:19 PM   #5   [permalink]
CrabBattle12

Everyone seems to overrate Elfen Lied. What's so great about it?
CrabBattle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #6   [permalink]
eddiefb3

Elfen Lied is good because it has a surreal feeling to it. All the characters are in real life problems and it really effects them. Its also the most gory thing i have ever seen.

One Truth Prevails!"
Jimmy Kudo

Sherlock Holmes

Similar meanings
Old 26-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #7   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

Elfen Lied is a psychological drama. If you're into stuff like that, I'd suggest Perfect Blue, X/1999, and Gunslinger Girl.

Some other good adult series are Monster, Berserk, The Twelve Kingdoms, Tsukihime, and Texnolyze.
Old 27-06-2006, 02:11 AM   #8   [permalink]
umoa

Send a message via AIM to umoa
elfen lied made me feel bad
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 12:33 AM   #9   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Nokari
Elfen Lied is a psychological drama. If you're into stuff like that, I'd suggest Perfect Blue, X/1999, and Gunslinger Girl.

Some other good adult series are Monster, Berserk, The Twelve Kingdoms, Tsukihime, and Texnolyze.
Thanks for the suggestions. I rent my DVD's though Netflix, and already have Perfect Blue, Gunslinger Girl, and Tsukihime on my list. I added Berserk, Texnolyze and The Twelve Kingdoms -- although for The Twelve Kingdoms, they do not have disc 1. It will be some time before I get to it, so hopefully they will purchase it. The other series they do not carry.

BTW, does anyone know anything about Genshiken or Peacemaker?
Old 28-06-2006, 12:43 AM   #10   [permalink]
Merlion Emrys

Send a message via ICQ to Merlion Emrys Send a message via MSN to Merlion Emrys
Well, I guess it depends on what you consider "adult".

From what you have mentioned, I do have a couple of suggestions

Haibane-Renmei has essentially no action at all, its entirely slice-of-life and drama, with many interesting conceptual and philosophical issues and questions.

Gilgamesh has a very dark feel, and deals with many odd issues, although it is not as abstract as Lain or PA.

Of course really, the bulk of Evangelion more or less fits your descreption, beyond the first few episodes.

It's all part of the conspiracy.
Merlion Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 01:12 AM   #11   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

Originally Posted by MeMyself
BTW, does anyone know anything about Genshiken or Peacemaker?
Genshiken is good. It's about an otaku club and they dwelve into all aspects of anime, especially doujinshi, gaming, and hentai. It's more of a coming of age and realizing who they really are kinda of thing though.

Peacemaker somewhat follows along the lines of Rouni Kenshin, but is more serious in some aspects. There aren't any corny "Dragon Slash!" kinda lines. Ends pretty well too. Possible Peacemaker 2?
Old 28-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #12   [permalink]
CrabBattle12

Perfect Blue was good, but Elfen Lied just looks like it would try too hard.
CrabBattle12 is offline   Reply With Quote