Old 07-05-2006, 12:59 AM   #1   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Ouran High School Host Club

Aren't there people watching this one at all?

This is a hilarious and off-the-wall shoujo parody. It's absolutely brilliant. After only five episodes, I consider this to be the best anime of the year, or at least the most interesting. The animation is beautiful and smooth (done by Bones, so that's a given). The characters are over-the-top. The comedy is right on target and timed perfectly. This is the only anime right now for which I'm actually looking forward to each episode.

Thoughts?

If you aren't watching it, I highly recommend it.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #2   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Well, I've watched the first couple of episodes. I find the anime to be a bit on the unique side. The ending of the first episode really caught me by surprise though.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #3   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

I loved the little visual device: the use of the lightbulb to indicate when each person realized the truth. It was clever, and I didn't get it until the very end of the episode, just like Tamaki. They've got some kind of visual trick like that in most of the episodes, so far. It's awesome.

I love this series.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:20 AM   #4   [permalink]
snowcherry
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to snowcherry
Oh God, Ouran is so fabulous. Pretty much every episode so far has had me in tears laughing, mostly thanks to the twins. I don't recall liking the manga this much. The anime staff really did some amazing work with the animation and music, not to mention the incredible cast.

This is one of those shows where I'm going to cry at the end because I didn't want it to be over, ever, I just know it. D:
Old 09-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #5   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

It is such an awesome series. More people on AB need to be watching it. Even if you're like me and watch anime only once in a blue moon now, you should give this one a shot.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #6   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Playing the gay incest angle for laughs is a bit of an odd decision though.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #7   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

It's making fun of the yaoi-crazed fangirl community, and it does an awesome job of it. Although I admit the incest implications are a bit unsavory.
Old 18-06-2006, 01:37 AM   #8   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

*ding ding ding* This is your monthly reminder to WATCH OURAN. Thank you, and have a nice day. *ding ding ding*

Honestly, is anyone besides the people who've posted here watching this show? Is it flying under the radar, or is everyone here turning apathetic to anime in general?

Take it from one who watches anime only very rarely now: If you watch one anime this season, try Ouran. Its wacky humor is infectious. For eleven straight episodes, it's had me laughing my head off, and I'm hardly the only one. Give it a go today!

For people who've both read and seen it so far, how does the manga compare to the anime?
Old 18-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #9   [permalink]
CrabBattle12

Last edited by CrabBattle12; 14-07-2006 at 01:03 AM.
CrabBattle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #10   [permalink]
BrikHaus81
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to BrikHaus81
I have never really gotten into shoujo/yaoi/whatever you'd call it type of shows before. But, since it got such a glowing review on ANN, I thought I'd give this a shot. And was I ever surprised! Although the "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" gets the most attention of any new show this year, I really think the "Ouran High School Host Club" is by far better. The animation is excellent, the jokes are actually funny and not just weird for the sake of weirdness, and the characters are all likeable. I eagerly await the release of each new episode. The concept alone is enough to give this show acclaim: Rich guys and a poor girl all pimping on rich girls. Even though it's been said before in this thread, if you aren't watching this yet, then you should be.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:40 AM   #11   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
I crammed the whole series into this week, crap this was such an awesome series. I had neglected it until a few weeks back when I caught a glimpse of an episode whilst at a friends.

Ouran High School Host Club is such an unbelievably enjoyable series, I put it off because of all the pretty boys thinking it wouldn't be worth my time. Oh how wrong I was. Funniest series I've seen this year, perfectly executed and doesn't end up being stupid idiotic slapstick fluff which can easily put you off (ahem that Ramen Fighter Miki whatever series), also had a nice dose of drama and angst mostly coming from the twins. One of the best the other being Melancholy oh Haruhi Suzumiya .., coincidentally both series female lead are named Haruhi. Is this a sign? Must I watch every anime series with a female leads named Haruhi?

I liked how they are stand alone episodes, means that I'll be revisiting this series a lot more, when I feel like it I'll just pull out any random episode and it'll be fine. Favourite episodes include the one where the Twins get into a fight, loved how the threw barrage after barrage of furniture (and Honey) at each other, another favourite is when the Host Club come visit Haruhi's place. Wish it didn't finish, but I was pleased with the series ending, indeed satisfying.

Watch this now!
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #12   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by dheu
It's making fun of the yaoi-crazed fangirl community, and it does an awesome job of it. Although I admit the incest implications are a bit unsavory.

hmmmm... the whole "yaoi" thing made me a bit leary about this one, but intrigued now due to the positive comments about it ... I will check out the first couple of episodes ...

Sam