Old 29-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #1   [permalink]
adralegre

Most Overpriced Official Release Anime?

After a quick trip to Best Buys, I was inspired to post this thread. I noticed some anime series continue to cost way too much and aren't even that great. Here's my top 5 list:

1. Trigun: now available as "REMIX."
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Samurai Champloo
4. Ranma 1/2
5. Inu Yasha

Each box set (complete series and/or season) is around $100 USD or more. I don't understand how they justify those prices, especially Trigun. Even the NGE box set is reasonably priced. The good news is that a lot of other complete anime series box sets are reasonably priced from DBZ / DBGT, Kiddy Grade, and Full Metal Panic! to Gundam W, G Gundam, and other "Anime Legends" titles.

What's on your list of overpriced official release anime?
adralegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #2   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
Somebody wanted to charge me $120 for the Samurai 7 boxset... you can imagine what i said to him.

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #3   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

EvaFiend mentioned that the remastered packaged box set of GunnBuster (series 1 & 2) was going for 120$ in Japan + shipping and handling of course.

Sam
Old 30-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #4   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Umm, any DVD released in Japan? The Hellsing OAV DVD which only contained one episode, cost me just over US$50. The complete DVD boxset for Rurouni Kenshin (including the TV series, OAV's, etc) costs just shy of US$700, shipping costs an extra US$140. And no, I haven't bought it.

As for US releases, most series are very reasonable, but the most I've paid was for Trigun (I hated the ending so I consider that series a waste of time to me), Witch Hunter Robin (so slow & boring, the 'special' box was crap too, another waste of time IMO), & R.O.D The TV (I love this series, so well worth every penny).

UK releases are even crappier; the most expensive I've seen has to be Gasaraki, & one place was selling it for UKú120 (approx US$220). Needless to say, I import most of my anime from the US.

Originally Posted by SamIam
EvaFiend mentioned that the remastered packaged box set of GunnBuster (series 1 & 2) was going for 120$ in Japan + shipping and handling of course.
Shipping to the UK would cost an extra US$40.

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #5   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by EVA fiend
Umm, any DVD released in Japan? The Hellsing OAV DVD which only contained one episode, cost me just over US$50. The complete DVD boxset for Rurouni Kenshin (including the TV series, OAV's, etc) costs just shy of US$700, shipping costs an extra US$140. And no, I haven't bought it.

As for US releases, most series are very reasonable, but the most I've paid was for Trigun (I hated the ending so I consider that series a waste of time to me), Witch Hunter Robin (so slow & boring, the 'special' box was crap too, another waste of time IMO), & R.O.D The TV (I love this series, so well worth every penny).

UK releases are even crappier; the most expensive I've seen has to be Gasaraki, & one place was selling it for UKú120 (approx US$220). Needless to say, I import most of my anime from the US.

Shipping to the UK would cost an extra US$40.

700$ for RK!!! Okay, I will not grumble about U.S. pricing anymore ...

There is some good news (I think) ... with the advent of quick anime distribution and licensing rights for OTA broadcasts ... I am thinking that in the long run, such on air coverage should bring the costs down for the price of anime dvds.

Nowadays, if you had a TIVO and appropriate cable stations, you could tape whole series (for personal consumption) merely by selecting show preference in the recording guide! The only downside to me would be the time factor and perhaps quality of the show.

Sam
Old 16-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #6   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Evangelion, not boxset wise, but it's the set that will NEVER die!

I'm waiting for the Super Delux Diamond limited edition version
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote