Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #1   [permalink]
Kusunagi
Forum Junkie
 
Kusunagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20 May 2002
Posts: 645
Finally!!!

I haven't heard of anything new that was coming out that made me want to jump out of me seat, to be truthful I haven't heard of anything that made me want to stand up... Well until now!

Ninja Scroll 2 (The movie) is to be released.
Ninja Scroll 2 (The Series) is to be released.
Vampire Hunter D (The Series)
__________________
Why Am I Fighting to Live, If Im Living to Fight.
Why Am I Trying to See, When there's nothing in Sight
Why Am I Try to Give, When No-one Gives Me a Try.
Why Am I Dying to Live, If Im just Living to Die
Kusunagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #2   [permalink]
Kusunagi
Forum Junkie
 
Kusunagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20 May 2002
Posts: 645
Oh and Ikkitousen season 2: Dragon something
__________________
Why Am I Fighting to Live, If Im Living to Fight.
Why Am I Trying to See, When there's nothing in Sight
Why Am I Try to Give, When No-one Gives Me a Try.
Why Am I Dying to Live, If Im just Living to Die
Kusunagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #3   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master
 
Nokari's Avatar
 
Join Date: 22 Nov 2000
Location: West siiide
Posts: 4,146
Originally Posted by Kusunagi
Oh and Ikkitousen season 2: Dragon something
About damn time. I was pretty perturbed that they had only 4 DVDs of that series.
__________________
DEEZ NUTZ!?
Nokari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #4   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Registered User
 
Pengi_Ken-Ohki's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 Sep 2000
Location: 0.0
Posts: 11,640
Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
W00t! Those anime are great for converts
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 01:32 AM   #5   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member
 
Project Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 8,330
Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
W00t! Those anime are great for converts
Uh, I don't know what the anime industry is like in Austrailia but since when in the past say 3 or 4 years years has anime had a need for converts?
__________________
Quote:
If by high art you mean it's fun to smoke pot and look at Mike Mignola's art, I'm in total agreement.
- Tom Spurgeon (writer for the comics journal), on whether or not Mike Mignola's Hellboy is high art
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #6   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master
 
SamIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Nov 2000
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 3,557
Originally Posted by Kusunagi
I haven't heard of anything new that was coming out that made me want to jump out of me seat, to be truthful I haven't heard of anything that made me want to stand up... Well until now!

Ninja Scroll 2 (The movie) is to be released.
Ninja Scroll 2 (The Series) is to be released.
Vampire Hunter D (The Series)
... good news!

I will be really interested to see how Vampire Hunter D turns out ... since the revamp of the movie, D is primed for a new generation.

Sam
__________________
I think therefore I am ... I think :/
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #7   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Registered User
 
Pengi_Ken-Ohki's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 Sep 2000
Location: 0.0
Posts: 11,640
Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Originally Posted by Project Akira
Uh, I don't know what the anime industry is like in Austrailia but since when in the past say 3 or 4 years years has anime had a need for converts?

Oh anime has plenty of followers here. Its sad. I went into EBgames the other day and saw that anime I had been planning on "getting around to" was already boxed set and on sale. Where does the time go?

But no, converts are still needed. Particularly when people around you aren't interested in anime and you want to discuss something anime related. Just the same as how they'll convert me to watching their favourite TV shows.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #8   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master
 
SamIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Nov 2000
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 3,557
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
But no, converts are still needed. Particularly when people around you aren't interested in anime and you want to discuss something anime related. Just the same as how they'll convert me to watching their favourite TV shows.
Funny thing, it seems that "anime" as a whole, has lost a degree of originality and cutting edge. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy anime, but, where is the next "Evangelion"? It seems that anime has hit a plateau on originality (only made worse by the tendancy at formula driven models for anime production. Maybe its just me getting jaded, but it seems like the rest of the world has embraced anime and thus relegated it to the status of "norm" as opposed to its cutting edge intro into the west.
__________________
I think therefore I am ... I think :/
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #9   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member
 
Project Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 8,330
Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by SamIam
Funny thing, it seems that "anime" as a whole, has lost a degree of originality and cutting edge. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy anime, but, where is the next "Evangelion"? It seems that anime has hit a plateau on originality (only made worse by the tendancy at formula driven models for anime production. Maybe its just me getting jaded, but it seems like the rest of the world has embraced anime and thus relegated it to the status of "norm" as opposed to its cutting edge intro into the west.
I think this is a side effect of the growth of importing anime. The reason that shows like Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, and anything I would say before 2001 is remembered so fondly is that back then anime import companies could cherry pick shows and pick the best of the best to bring to the US. They didn't have to import mediocre or bad material because quite frankly the demand for more anime just wasn't there. However now that anime has become so prevalent in the west we're seeing more and more out there which makes it harder to for series to really make the impact that they could have 10 even 5 years ago among anime fans. I don't think I've seen a real word of mouth series since say Full Metal Alchemist and even then that show while fun isn't the same level of quality that something like Evangelion or Bebop is. I think if there is going to be another "Evangelion" it's going to have more of a cult following than a giant one if that makes sense given today's audience.
__________________
Quote:
If by high art you mean it's fun to smoke pot and look at Mike Mignola's art, I'm in total agreement.
- Tom Spurgeon (writer for the comics journal), on whether or not Mike Mignola's Hellboy is high art
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 12:17 AM   #10   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Registered User
 
Pengi_Ken-Ohki's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 Sep 2000
Location: 0.0
Posts: 11,640
Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Certainly I don't envy the modern anime fan/collector. While I was at my parents place over Christmas my brother pulled out this box set of an anime called 'Sayuri' or something. He'd picked up an entire box set "just cos" (Turns out Madman had a HUGE sale that I didnt know about. Like, 70% off and ----, nuts).

We sat down and I could just see that this anime was not worth my going into episode 2. A lot of anime pre-Evangelion did make it to our shores despite being often mediocre or crap. But it wasnt as bad as a world where you have shelf after shelf of it.

I couldn't bear to watch episode 2. However in hindsight, if I were to watch Evangelion today, I wonder whether Id stick around. The (picture) quality of anime has really risen since the days of using a lot of cheap animation and still shots. This to me seems similar to the problem Hollywood faces. The audience gets so used to seeing everything in a particular way, that then all movies have to follow that format until someone finally breaks the mold.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 02:27 AM   #11   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted
 
Robotech Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Jan 2001
Posts: 1,461
Please tell me Production IG or MadHouse are doing VHD, because I think those two are the only ones who could do it justice.

And it better damn well follow a few of the novels.
__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...burahorule.jpg
"Light...or Darkness. Between you and I, all will be decided." - Ashram, the Black Knight

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #12   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member
 
Project Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 8,330
Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
We sat down and I could just see that this anime was not worth my going into episode 2. A lot of anime pre-Evangelion did make it to our shores despite being often mediocre or crap. But it wasnt as bad as a world where you have shelf after shelf of it.
Which was one of my points in the first place; there always has been crap and mediocre series in Japan and there always is going to be. We're just seeing more of it because of greater demand for anime means that anime companies no longer have the option of picking a series for quality. Anime companies pre-2001 had the option of going for the series that they knew to be of high quality. Sure there were mediocre series too. Remember at one point Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon were huge. Not huge on like say a Naruto level but at the time they were big deals amongst anime fandom. Importing anime is a business and thus mediocre series had to be imported as well so that they could stay afloat in a financial sense. However anime companies were more likely then to use the marketing muscle to push series and to pick series that they had like Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop. It why we remember those series so fondly because when they came out they were really the only shows like that to be found in the west. Animation however is a business and importing companies today in order to continue to be successful now no longer have that option to cherry pick what they want and have to basically just take a crap shoot and hope quality is still there. They are nowadays alot more likely to put that same marketing muscle they once put behind a Bebop or an Evangelion behind a Naruto or a Full Metal Alchemist because those are sure things when it comes to making money than a trickier series like Bebop or Evangelion. Today the anime watching market simply isn't geared towards series like that anymore. They just want anime which is what we wanted around 2001. I had a huge essay about this once and unfortunately AB ate it when I posted it. I'm tempted to try and write it again.

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I couldn't bear to watch episode 2. However in hindsight, if I were to watch Evangelion today, I wonder whether Id stick around. The (picture) quality of anime has really risen since the days of using a lot of cheap animation and still shots. This to me seems similar to the problem Hollywood faces. The audience gets so used to seeing everything in a particular way, that then all movies have to follow that format until someone finally breaks the mold.
If you're only going to want to see a show for surface elements then that says more about you than it says about the series. I personally don't see much wrong with the animation in that series other than I think that Gainax has let the color on the film stock fade. I think that the sort of gritty look to the animation lends itself well to the story if ask me.
__________________
Quote:
If by high art you mean it's fun to smoke pot and look at Mike Mignola's art, I'm in total agreement.
- Tom Spurgeon (writer for the comics journal), on whether or not Mike Mignola's Hellboy is high art
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:31 AM   #13   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted
 
Robotech Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Jan 2001
Posts: 1,461
hmmm...why Haven't there been any other news reports on this stuff from ANN or Nation?
__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...burahorule.jpg
"Light...or Darkness. Between you and I, all will be decided." - Ashram, the Black Knight

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
finally! umoa Escaflowne 9 27-08-2006 08:27 PM
Slayers finally on cable tv? Fatal Outlaw Slayers 37 21-07-2002 04:13 PM
Looks like Toonami is finally maturing Nikachu General and Other Anime 15 06-01-2002 07:18 PM
Wow, I finally finished it. Sheex, The Dark Stalker Serial Experiments Lain 3 13-08-2001 01:17 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.