Old 29-10-2002, 04:04 AM   #16   [permalink]
Gryshnak
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by jennwenn
Plus there are straight men who adore Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon, and Full Moon wo Sagashite, and those shows are as girly as you can get...
Hey, I'm straight to the point of being homophobic, and I thoroughly enjoy Card Captor Sakura. I also discovered Galaxy Fraulein Yuna last week, and it was excellent! But Sailor Moon makes me puke, I just can't watch it for very long.

I think the difference is in the story, not the appearance of the characters. Nobody can deny there is a good story in CCS. And GFY, while it is bouncy and bubbleheaded, really surprised me with GF Yuna Returns - you won't see stories like that in a Western series aimed at the same audience.

Maybe there is a deeper story in SM as well, but I can't bear to watch it for long enough to find out!
Gryshnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2002, 05:50 AM   #17   [permalink]
Linna32
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Linna32 Send a message via MSN to Linna32 Send a message via Yahoo to Linna32
shoujo = nice art, minimal amount of mecha, minimal amount of martial arts, bishies (heh im sure you enjoy yourself miko when you watch your bishies in action ^^)

cant think of anything else for now
Old 29-10-2002, 08:52 AM   #18   [permalink]
Marius
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Marius Send a message via AIM to Marius Send a message via Yahoo to Marius
Megatokyo has the answers to everything:

Damn straight
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2002, 12:17 PM   #19   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Hehe, heck yeah!

Have 7 guys chasing after you and are at loss which guy is the one for you? Best Friend giving you gripes, trying to kill you perhaps? Are you fighting with your mother/uncle/grandpa, and are they trying to kill you? In rivalry with your sister over a boyfriend? Trying to deal with your parents divorce and remarriage? Trying to figure out how to deal with the your new adolescent changes, be they magical powers or a raging appetite? Just discovered your best female friend is really a man? Are you lost in a strage place? Are you failing math? Look no further than the local shoujo rack for guidance.

Live life by the books.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2002, 08:58 PM   #20   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
This is starting to remind me of the Tenchi Muyo OVA episode where all the gals were studying shoujo manga for strategies to seduce Tenchi.

One of the real jokes though, is exactly who's shoujo manga collection it was
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2002, 11:20 PM   #21   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungAffen Send a message via MSN to AchtungAffen
Hey I have a great Idea for a new thread. What about one in wich you put your sentimental problems/life problems, and some expert in manga tells you the shoujo solution for them??

Ahh BTW, one thing I never found on shoujo anime was them talking about acne. Do japanese even have it?
AchtungAffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2002, 12:04 AM   #22   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungAffen
Ah BTW, one thing I never found on shoujo anime was them talking about acne. Do japanese even have it?
Acne and obesity are beneath shoujo heroines. Now gluttony, low self-esteem, and bad hair days on the other hand...
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2002, 01:07 PM   #23   [permalink]
snowcherry
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to snowcherry
Obesity may be beneath them, but the irrational fear of fat is still present. Usagi from Sailor Moon and Nanami from Utena spring to mind as two characters who've been panicky about gaining weight (and I'm sure there've been others). Must be doing wonders for the anorexia rates.
Old 30-10-2002, 07:18 PM   #24   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
You have to keep in mind that anime/manga is made purely for the interest of the Japanese public.
Consequentely there is no distinction between shoujo and shonen - Or at least titles from these areas are making efforts to encapsulate both sides of the audience.
Card Captor Sakura and Kenshin both come to mind, for instance.
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #25   [permalink]
GLB_08

Actually, Shonen and Shoujo are all pretty much the same things, only difference...
Shoujo: Pretty Back Grounds, Pretty Boys and Girls, and Less Fan service
Shonen: Rugged Back Grounds, Cool Looking Guys and Beautiful (Usually Big Breasted) Women, and More Fan service.
GLB_08 is offline   Reply With Quote