Old 29-05-2003, 11:40 AM   #1   [permalink]
Jaken

Question How do other vampire anime series compare with Vampire Princess Miyu?

Other than Vampire Princess Miyu, have you watched other vampire anime series? How do you think they compare with Vampire Princess Miyu?

I've seen Nightwalker, Master of Mosquiton, Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D. I'll say Nightwalker is my favorite, followed by Vampire Princess Miyu. Although many other fans don't like these two series because they find them "episodic", I enjoyed the variety of stand-alone stories in each series. I don't consider them to be filler material. Then again, I'm weird.

Hellsing is good. I like the violence and action. And Alucard has got to be the most badass vampire I have ever met. But I am reluctant to compare Vampire Princess Miyu with Hellsing because, even though they are both about vampires, Hellsing is so different in terms of... well... everything! Hellsing is brash and irreverent and it's an entirely different universe. It's like comparing Rurouni Kenshin with Record of Lodoss War just because swords are involved.

So what do other Vampire Princess Miyu fans like?
Jaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2003, 08:32 PM   #2   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Let's see... I've seen Nightwalker, Master of Mosquiton, Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D (both the original and Bloodlust), and Vampire Princess Miyu (TV and OVA).
  • The Breakdown:
  • Vampire Princess Miyu OVA
  • Hellsing
  • Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
  • Vampire Hunter D
  • Nightwalker
  • Master of Mosquiton
  • Vampire Princess Miyu TV

If you want to hear me ramble, here's the reasons why I like/dislike them....

Vampire Princess Miyu OVA was awesome. There's mystery, action, interesting characters, and freaky concepts. The animation is, of course, getting a little dated, but I love this one. It's one of my favorites.

Hellsing was cool as well. Arucard has to be the best anime vampire out there, because he just takes so much enjoyment in being a vampire that it's hard not to like him. Violence and action are always fun. Later episodes declined a little in quality, but I thought they were still a lot of fun. The music was kick-ass, as well.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was good entertainment. I liked the storyline and the complexity of the characters, and the action was awesome. It's a little too bad that they never made a Japanese track for it; even if it was meant for English audiences, it would have been nice to hear it in Japanese. Although the dub track was pretty good, for the most part.

Vampire Hunter D was good. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but the characters were cool. Storyline was the typical "girl targetted by vampire must be saved"... but they pulled it off in an interesting way.

Nightwalker was the first vampire anime I saw. It was good, and I still dust it off occasionally and pop it in the player when I'm bored. It's not my favorite, but I liked it and I wouldn't mind seeing more.

Master of Mosquiton was average. Inaho was annoying as hell, and I kept cheering on evil Mosquie in hopes he'd manage to kill her... The dub was not that good, and I would have liked to see the subtitled version but I wasn't able to find it. Rasputin's voice cracked me up, and although he was mind-meltingly dull at times, some of his statements were hilarious, like "little monkey girl." Or maybe they were just hilarious because it was late at night and I was desperately searching for something to laugh at.

Vampire Princess Miyu TV suffers from the "monster-a-week" phenomenon. The first few episodes were interesting, but later episodes in the series lose pretty much all interest, IMO. I've only seen the first two dvds, but I don't have any interest in seeing more.

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 08:20 PM   #3   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Dheu baby, see the final DVD. Miyu TV is so fucked up when you see the final bad guy. It's like: "wtf?? I thought this was light monster-of-the-week schoolgirl ----? Why the hell is it ending like this? Why are people dying? Why the hell is Miyu etc so ------- cold?"

It's a real shame that Miyu had NO storyline until the end. I only stuck with it cos I cant stand to own only a piece of a bigger story.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2003, 12:03 AM   #4   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
So should I just pick up the final dvd on its own? There are too many other great series out there for me to waste my money on the entire VP Miyu series if only the last dvd has any storyline!

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2004, 05:25 PM   #5   [permalink]
Neoachan

lolz

Last edited by Neoachan; 21-06-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Neoachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2004, 02:20 AM   #6   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to ATh
The OAV or the tv series.? the OAV is great the tv series is crap.

ATh
ATh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 05:05 AM   #7   [permalink]
dalmain
Executive Member

Send a message via MSN to dalmain
I just got into this series. I haven't watched the ova's but I will very soon. The tv series is ok..have only watched 3 episodes.
dalmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #8   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
I've watched both the TV series and the OAVs a long time ago. The TV series just drone on with the "monster-a-week/night" phenomenon that it got very repetitive and boring. Apart that she has a cute but evil bunny apart from Larva (HOT WESTERN SHINMA...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreow~!!!!). The OAVs is simply authentic, eerie and mysterious. We see her conquests and demise as she fought off demons while a median is either on her trail or bumps into her coincidently.

Personally, I prefer the OAVs over the TV series. Not because of the intricate artwork of the artist herself, but the story is unique.
Old 13-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #9   [permalink]
dalmain
Executive Member

Send a message via MSN to dalmain
Yeah, I've heard so many good things about the OVA. I can't wait to get them. I really like Miyu even though I really don't know anything about her.
dalmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #10   [permalink]
4everlost

The best vampire anime would have to be black blood brothers. The only downside is the whole series is only 12 episodes. Either than that its AMAZING!!! You can watch online for free at www.veoh.com. Oh yah, the other bad part is that its subtitled, but thats okay to me.
4everlost is offline   Reply With Quote