Old 23-01-2005, 12:40 AM   #1   [permalink]
Newtype05

Angelic Layer reminds me of Pokemon

Like how each episode evolves around the main character trying to find a solution to a new challenge against an opponent or something. I don't mind educational anime like this but it's not my cup of tea. But I just might keep watching, since Full Metal Panic nor Argentosoma seems like good enough to keep my interest going. I'm really disappinted with Full Metal Panic, talk about no substance.
Newtype05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 12:46 AM   #2   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Can't you say that with a lot of animes? Don't most animes involve main characters facing challenges and trying to overcome them by finding solutions, weakness of opponents etc ..?

But I sort of understand where you are coming from. Angelic Layer with the whole basis of arena fighting with dolls and Pokemon with arena fighting but with animal/monsters.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:56 PM   #3   [permalink]
Newtype05

I'm still only on volume 3 of DVD, but this is becoming quite a good series, I still can't believe Hatoko lost! But it was a classic psychological warfare with Sai's Shirahime. This series has a very good balance of keeping the suspense going with Angelic fights and the issues characters are going through, which is as interesting. I really felt for Sai's pain, so sad. Icchan is the coolest character! Bravo.
Newtype05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 04:18 AM   #4   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Its a deeper anime than Pokemon that is for sure. I'd like to be gruff and say that it is too sugary for my tastes but the truth is that girls are pretty and so are dolls.

There, I said it. I want a badass fighting doll. Sue me.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #5   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Newtype05
Like how each episode evolves around the main character trying to find a solution to a new challenge against an opponent or something. I don't mind educational anime like this but it's not my cup of tea. But I just might keep watching, since Full Metal Panic nor Argentosoma seems like good enough to keep my interest going. I'm really disappinted with Full Metal Panic, talk about no substance.
I think the "educational style" is part of the niche or genre that the anime is trying to cover ... the premise being a further evolution of something like a real time RPG or mech simulator game. Incidentally, this type of plot device is good at promoting the virtue of critical analysis and assessment as a means of problem solving while always keeping an open mind.

The show as probably targeted at young girls in order to instill a sense of intellectual empowerment and motivation to excel in the cognitive domain.

Sam
Old 17-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #6   [permalink]
tyciol

It's a lot different because the dolls don't have consciousness (as far as I watched...), and they aren't biological, but rather they evolve by the trainers' gaining new coordination in commanding their dolls and upgrading them.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote