Old 15-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #1   [permalink]
DazarGaidin

Kanon (2006)

Man what a great series. If you don't get emotional during this anime i think you aren't human. I didn't expect much from this one and just picked it at random. I was surprised at how deep it turned out to be. Good movie about the power of miracles and promises, and a great study of characters, what connects them and their tribulations.

hmmm..I'd like to find more in this vein...any suggestions?
DazarGaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #2   [permalink]
z80

I was just about to post a Kanon 2002 vs 2006 message, but I guess I'll say a few things here. I just finished 2006 about 3 days ago and I did really like it, but I got to thinking about the 2002 series and dug that out and rewatched that one. I actually prefer alot from the 02 one over the 06. The character designs seem superior in the 06 one, but I like alot of the story elements from the old one. I would suggest your next one is to watch the old one and the Kazahana Special that wraps up the old series. On another note, I just got some new Dreamcast cables and a copy of Kanon for that and a printed screen by screen translated walkthru. Can't wait to get that going.
Old 20-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #3   [permalink]
DazarGaidin

Yeah i read a bit about the old series, but i think i will avoid it. I am a sucker for happy endings, and I really am satisfied with how this turned out overall
Old 20-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #4   [permalink]
z80

You could also check out the other Key series.. AIR. No promises on the ending though. I'm currently into Wind~a breath of heart~ and Strawberry Panic. After that I have Shuffle! and Canvas 2 lined up. You might also look into Haibane Renmei and Maison Ikkoku.

Also.. you might not be put off by the ending in the 02 series.

Last edited by z80; 20-06-2007 at 11:06 PM.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #5   [permalink]
DazarGaidin

Well i already heard things about Air's ending, no chance i am watchin that one

I might scope those other ones, thanks for the suggestion I need to slow down on the anime or something, I think I have nearly exhausted netflix selection (at least of the ones that dont look like crap) and watched a lot online...and i just started seriously watching anime like 2 weeks ago...im running out of things to watch lol
Old 22-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #6   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Chicken!
Old 23-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #7   [permalink]
DazarGaidin

Im a total chicken, but i get very depressed easily right now so I bail out if i know the end is bad
Old 24-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #8   [permalink]
z80

That is one thing I definately like about Anime.. sometimes there won't be a happy ending. It's life. I often wonder how many people die with their last thought being "Well, that sucked". Anyway... If you're a sucker for a sappy ending go buy the game Kana Little Sister
Old 24-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #9   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd long forgotten the original so the remake felt fresh. That may be part of the reason why I enjoyed it, haha. All the stories were, in essence, new to me.

Sometimes I'm glad my memory is teh suck.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #10   [permalink]
DazarGaidin

It doesn't always have to be a happy ending for me to be happy, just don't want crushingly depressing ones either. Gotta say i prefer happy endings though if i were to pick one
Old 26-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #11   [permalink]
z80

Well, then get Maison Ikkoku. It's older and the animation is a bit dated, but it's the forerunner of alot of these series (especially Love Hina). It had comedy, drama and it's by Rumiko Takahashi (Lum, Ranma, Mermaid Forest). It's 96 episodes and a movie (or was it an OVA??) so it will keep you busy for a while. Another EXCELLENT classic series is Kimagure Orange Road. It's 48 episodes of classic 80's goodness with incredible music and perfectly woven plot. There are about 6 OVA's and 2 movies. Don't watch anything out of order on this series. It's one of my all time favorites. If you want a shorter series go for Video Girl Ai.
Old 26-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #12   [permalink]
DazarGaidin

Thanks for the suggestions. I had heard good things about Kimagure Orange Road and was planning to check it out.