Old 22-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #1   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Nodame Cantabile

http://www.nodame-anime.com/

Off AniDB
Quote:
Based on the awarded shoujo manga by Tomoko Ninomiya.

Shinichi Chiaki is the top piano student at his university and an excellent violinist, but Chiaki doesn`t care about playing these instruments as much as he dreams of someday being a conductor. Chiaki, however, has several deeply rooted fears about traveling, and so finds himself "trapped" in Japan. Because he`s trapped, Chiaki starts to question exactly how far he can possibly go in music, especially when he`s passed over again and again for others he thinks are less worthy of musical scholarship and fame.

Recently dumped by his girlfriend for a "sausage" looking fellow, passed over for a chance to go overseas, removed from his star spot in the piano competition because he walked out on his piano instructor, Chiaki is at his limit. This is when he meets Nodame, or Megumi Noda. Nodame is a free if filthy spirit who reminds Chiaki that music can be fun. She reminds him what drew him to be a conductor in the first place and, in learning how to deal with Nodame, Chiaki learns how to deal with others. Chiaki begins to realize what is possible for him, even on the tiny island of Japan.

For Nodame, Chiaki is everything she isn`t. Clean, neat, dedicated, studious and inherently arrogant about his accomplishments and capabilities, Chiaki constantly bullies her into being more serious about life. He sees potential in her and her abilities as a pianist that she doesn`t care about. She loves Chiaki and wants to be with him, but, because she`s not serious about her piano studies nor her personal hygiene, Chiaki denies her affections again and again.

But Chiaki and Nodame complete each other in ways no other can, a musical compliment that neither of them can completely escape entirely. Watching them grow as people and musicians, and even as a couple, is an interesting ride.
Anyone else watching this new series?

It's one of the three Janaury series I'm interested in, the other two are Deltora Quest (it's been a long time since I've watched a fantasy series) and Getsumen To Heiki Mina (because it looks silly) - shame those two series no one has picked up.

Anyway having watched the first two episodes of Nodame Cantabile, I can easily predict that this is going to be one of my favourite series for the year. So far it's been an amusing and terribly funny slice of life series, I just love Nodame's antics and the way Chiaka deals with her (cleaning her room and the hair washing scenes were brilliant), I'm sure some drama and romance will be coming my way in the future episodes. I'm no classical music buff but I do enjoy it here and how each piece they play there's a pop up at the bottom with the details, nice touch.

Love the opening and ending animations, character designs were a bit odd and took me a while to get used to, but I don't think this series would of worked if it used the stereotypical anime look.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode, should be a very enjoyable ride.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #2   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Just watched the first episode. Definately my type of anime series! What amazes me though is how Nodame is so damn messy but is able to play such beautiful music?! I mean, why doesn't she clean up after herself? Hopefully this will get explained later.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #3   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Finished the second episode. This anime is WAYYY different from what I have been watching lately. I happen to like classical music, so this anime suits me pretty well. Not to mention that Nodame is so kawaii!!
Old 16-02-2007, 04:36 AM   #4   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

NO-DUMMY!

Each episode so far (being four) have been an absolute blast, this series delivers!

Nodame's voice actress is fantastic, I love her "gyapah!".
Old 19-02-2007, 05:46 AM   #5   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Just watched episode 5. Don't know whether I should take Stresemann seriously or not. One thing is certain though, he does know how to conduct an orchestra. The mood was definately different from when Chiaki tried his hand at it. It looks as if Stresemann set-up the whole scenario perfectly. Although he came off as somewhat perverted, his real aim was to get to know his orchestra on a personal level, to get them to feel comfortable not only with him, but with the other members as well. He provides a more relaxed and comfortable atmosphere while Chiaki was always serious and tense. Stresemann was testing Chiaki the whole time. I even go as far to say that he knew how Nodame would react when he asked for a kiss from her.

I'm definately enjoy this series so far. Nodame by far has to be one of my favorite anime characters of all time. Just so cute!
Old 24-02-2007, 06:42 AM   #6   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Watched episode 6....Stresemann is one weird dude! Looking at Chiaki this episode, it seems like more and more he's becoming a major a$$hole. He needs to stop being so uptight and just go with the flow. Spent the whole episode just yelling....I think if he did that, things would flow alot easier. He's trying to make this perfect, which is really messing him and the orchestra up. Nodame always brings a smile to my face. She's such a likeable character.
Old 14-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #7   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Thought I would jump back in this thread. Watched episodes 7 and 8. FINALLY, we learn what Stresemann was up to the whole time. He's taking Chiaki in as his pupil. Now the story is starting to get really interesting as it's shifts towards Nodame in her pursuit of Chiaki not only in talent, but in love as well. I'm rooting for her!
Old 28-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #8   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Hehe...I'm pretty sure that I'm one of the rare few watching this series right now. I've been keeping up with all the current episodes up to 17. One thing that I'm starting to notice is that Chiaki seems to be constantly improving himself while Nodame is just staying afloat. She wavers from time to time. Almost like she can turn it on and off whenever she feels like. It's somewhat frustrating to watch her just one moment show signs of brillance, then the next minute fall completely flat. I see no real growth from her character, although she is still amusing and funny as ever. Chiaki on the other hand is a completely different story. He wants it. Constantly striving to do more, to perfect his craft. Although he can be bit of a prick at times, it's nice to see him wanting to progress and to perform to the best of his capabilities. Now if he could only fly in a airplane!!

I guess I'm just waiting for Nodame to wake up. All the talent in the world don't mean jack if you don't know how to use or harness it properly, which seems like the problem. I can't really figure out why she's still in music school if she wants to simply become a teacher? Almost like wasting her time. If she continues like this then she will never be able to get close to Chiaki, if she cares that much. Looking forward to see if her character will actually progress or not in the coming episodes.

Last edited by ACE2001; 28-05-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #9   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Watched the first four at my anime club, fantastic stuff. Reminds me of Honey and Clover. Definitely one to look out for!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #10   [permalink]
Cookiepop

Watched the first episode at our anime club as well. It was alright. I'd need to watch more before deciding whether I liked it or not. Although the teacher's beard alone is probably worth the effort.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #11   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

NODAME CANTABILE FINISH!

Tempted to say favourite series of 2007. Never thought a series about music students, orchestras and classical music would be this much fun, I can't remember the last time a series made me smile this much. Definitely deserves a sequel which is quite possible with the ending given and the amount of manga still yet to be covered but if not I'm very satisfied with how it ended.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #12   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Dude, where were you! You be making threads then disappearing only to come back when it's over! Just kidding.

I liked the ending as well. It was nice to see Chiaki finally breakdown and admit that he had some feelings for Nodame. The one thing that I noticed throughout the series was that Chiaki seemed to be climbing higher and higher while Nodame was stagnant, wanting to play "her" way. I didn't like that considering the fact that people were investing time in her because she had potential. It was frustrating watching her goof off at times. I was starting to wonder why she's even in musical school.

Well, I'm all for a season 2 as I want to see how Chiaki and Nodame relationship expanded a bit further.