Old 11-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Question NieA Under 7

This anime takes place in the near future when aliens have settled on earth. Mayuko is a poor student struggling to make ends meet. She rents a room on top of a bath house, and helps out to help pay her rent. She also works delivering newspapers and as a waitress. And she has an underclass alien named NieA who has taken up residence in her closet. NieA is a freeloader who demands free food, and who builds UFO's in Mayuko's apartment using junk and garbage she has found.

There is mild profanity, and just a bit of nudity. (OK. Just one scene where NieA stands up in the bath.) There is also violence. In one scene, NieA gets into a battle with another alien in which they attack each other with pots of curry.

Mostly this is a comedy. There is not all that much action. I would describe it as somewhat whimsical -- based on disc 1, episodes 1-4.

The problem is I don't care much for whimsical animes, unless they end up having a dark twist such as in Mahoromatic.

Don't give away any spoilers. Just tell me if you have seen this series, and if you recommend that I stick with it.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #2   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Its not that long, and its not really a silly anime. I can't remember the anime too well but I remember some heavier scenes.

Hell, I thought it was a bit heavy from the moment I realised the roof wasnt going to magically repair itself after getting destroyed. Silly anime always undo the damage before people start thinking "that bastard alien/robot/alien-robot/magic person just destroyed half their friend's house and left it like that!"
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

On another forum I was told the first four episodes are not exactly representative of this anime. The opening theme kind of hints at something darker. I will stick with it and see how it turns out. I don't have disc 2 yet. I hope to get it no later than Wednesday.
Old 16-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #4   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
I lost interest in this one, but got a cheap bulk set. It just seemed so pointless by the end of it...
Old 17-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished disc 2 with the next three episodes. Indeed, I was bored by episode 6, but there were some interesting things going on in episode 7. This may be the turning point. Heck, its the middle episode so it better be! I guess I will stick with it. I have disc 3 now.
Old 20-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished disc 3, episodes 7-10, and I am not sure what direction this series is going in. It seems to have turned into a "slice of life" story. There is enough of a mystery involving NieA and the "Mother Ship" to keep me interested. I should get disc 4 and finish the series by the end of the week.
Old 24-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished the series, and even though it had its moments with characters I cared about, I am still disappointed. The series is a tease that promises much, but does not deliver. Whenever something of interest happens, they dwell on it for about two episodes, then drop the matter.

For example, Mayoka's depression passes without any real resolution. It is as if she got over a cold. And NieA's mystery with the Mother Ship is never really dealt with. It passes, too.

Although the series seems pointless, I still rate it average. There is some entertainment in there. There are some funny bits.

I did not notice before, but NieA Under 7 has its own page on this forum. I guess I missed it because they got the title wrong!