Old 20-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #1   [permalink]
NeneMaxwell195
Executive Member

*Confused*

So after watching OVA 3 I am very confused, but I will start with one thing.

It would seem that for just about no reason what so ever Ayeka and Sasami were left to float in space in cyrogenic suspension for 800 years, whilst other members of the Jurian Royal family flited to and from earth meeting Yosho.

Not only that but Tenchi's Dad also has Jurian Blood and is over 200 years old? Where the hell did that come from?

Just why did they let Ayeka and Sasami float about for so long? And why did they go into cyro? It seems quite obvious they can travel massive distances in a few days or hours, what was the point?

Edit:

Also Ryoko's new VA SUCKS! All I am hearing is Izzy from Digimon!

Last edited by NeneMaxwell195; 20-03-2007 at 02:18 PM.
NeneMaxwell195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #2   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by NeneMaxwell195

It would seem that for just about no reason what so ever Ayeka and Sasami were left to float in space in cyrogenic suspension for 800 years, whilst other members of the Jurian Royal family flited to and from earth meeting Yosho.

Not only that but Tenchi's Dad also has Jurian Blood and is over 200 years old? Where the hell did that come from?

Just why did they let Ayeka and Sasami float about for so long? And why did they go into cyro? It seems quite obvious they can travel massive distances in a few days or hours, what was the point?

Edit:

Also Ryoko's new VA SUCKS! All I am hearing is Izzy from Digimon!
Chalk it up to the notion of alternate realities gone mad! One thing I have found with stories based upon the possibility of alternate realities .... is that it becomes all to easy to create a story where the details have not been ironed out ... mainly because of the extremely wide latitude for making it up on the way and attributing it to mitigating circumstances of that timeline ...
Old 25-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #3   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Originally Posted by NeneMaxwell195

A few things that might help make it more sensible:

* Ayeka and Sasami were on their own, unauthorized search mission. I don't know if it was obvious it anyone else knew where they were.

* Jurians were pretty good at keeping secrets from each other. If they told each other that they were visiting him, it would cause considerable political turmoil since Yosho was in line for the throne. Better to keep pretending that he was still missing.

Quote:
So some more Jurians had some carnal fun while visiting the backwater world (earth). Jurians are fond of marrying relatives, so I bet that would helped the arrangement.

Quote:
It wasn't a distance thing as much as not knowing where to go thing. Implusive youth wanting to do something when there wasn't much to do.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:34 AM   #4   [permalink]
eatpork

I'm confused about everything on this show. Mostly since I saw the new series. So grandpa has had 3 wives and 1 fiancee by my count. Aeaka (potential), Tenchi's Grandma, Haruna, and now that new bitch. Something doesn't fit into place here, when did Haruna come into place? And just how is Tenchi's sister older than his father and mother (according to the first movie they were in school back in the 70's).

It hurts my heart that I don't even understand my favorite anime series.
eatpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 04:30 AM   #5   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

RE: Something doesn't fit into place here, when did Haruna come into place? And just how is Tenchi's sister older than his father and mother (according to the first movie they were in school back in the 70's).

You're confusing continuities. The First movie and the Third Movie are part of the Tenchi Universe TV storyline. In other words, Haruna doesn't exist in the OAV story. His father and mother didn't go to school back in the 70's in the OAV timeline, and Tenchi's mother in the OAV's is named Kiyone, not Achika.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 01:33 AM   #6   [permalink]
eatpork

Yeah, Tenchi is my favorite anime, but the new OVA's just made me confused.

First of all, I thought that Tenchi's mom was named Achika and she was the one who carried the Jurai Royal Family bloodline, does both Tenchi's mother and father carry Juraian blood or what? And how long was Yosho married to that new girl? Is it Tenchi's grandmother? I don't think that's possible because Yosho stayed on Earth because he fell in love with an Earthling.

And beyond the new OVA, there's a lot of other things that don't make sense. If Yosho was on Earth for 700 years and Tenchi's mother wasn't born until the 1950's (estimated since she was in high school in 1970), why did Yosho wait so damn long to get married and have a child? I thought the whole reason he stayed on Earth was because he fell in love, and even so, she wouldn't have lived that long. And also, in the first Tenchi movie, Yosho talks about Achika's mother dying (before Tenchi's birth), but in the Tenchi OVA, when Ryoko is talking about how long she had known Tenchi, the flashback depicted Tenchi talking to his grandma.

And the whole Kiyone (who is my personal favorite character) thing; she's not in the original OVA, but she's in the spinoffs, but yet she's in all of the movies which all seem to follow the OVA storyline.

I'm so glad that when I use to watch this show, I wasn't aware of the blatant plotholes, because I might've have never fallen in love with the series. I admit now that the reason I love it is because of the characters and it played a big part of my teen years, which were probably the best years of my life. But had I just discovered the show now, I probably would've noticed all the plotholes and would've given up on it (maybe not since I still watch Bleach and I'm aware that it's a total piece of crap).
Old 15-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #7   [permalink]
HolyWhippet
Executive Member

I was under the impression that the movies were all based on yet another alternate storyline which was based in the manga/novels.

The last OAV was extremely, inconsistent. It seemed like they'd spend 5 minutes twiddling their thumbs doing boring things then suddenly leap over to something else without any explanation.
HolyWhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #8   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
The OVAs and GXP are the "canon" time line.

Other stuff falls into more than a few timelines, and the movies are not canon.