Old 21-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #1   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

New Anime: Soul-Eater

Since AnimeBoards is a cutting-edge anime messageboard, we've got to have cutting-edge anime news and discussion, right? I've been out of the anime "scene" for god knows when, but a quick trip over to Anime News Network and here's what I found (there is a video clip in the link below):

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...video-streamed

Soul-Eater

Originally Posted by Anime News Network
The anime is based on Atsushi Ohkubo's "cool & pop action fantasy" manga, which Square Enix has been serializing in Monthly Shonen Gangan magazine. The 11th manga volume will ship in Japan on March 22, and the anime will premiere on April 7.

The story begins at the Shinigami Weaponry Vocational School, a school for technicians and their living weapons. One of the human students, Maka Alban, is paired with Soul Eater, a boyish figure whose true form is a scythe. The production reunites Square Enix with many of the Fullmetal Alchemist staffers, including scriptwriter Akatsuki Yamatoya, character designer Yoshiyuki Ito, production designer Shinji Aramaki, and the BONES studio animators. Relative newcomer Chiaki Omigawa voices Maka, while Kouki Uchiyama voices Soul Eater. Japanese pop artist T.M. Revolution (Gundam Seed) will sing a theme song.
I've only seen a few episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist, and didn't think the artwork was great, although the story was OK. I've also seen a few episodes of Gundam Seed and the theme song was decent, and I guess it was sung by this T.M.Revolution (---- name).

I'm not impressed by the video clip though. The characters look bland and Soul-Eater, if it was that carrot-nosed supersized mummy-type thing, looks suitably generic. The cast looks like a bunch of anorexic teenagers, which is not something I can usually relate to.

Anyone else with any thoughts?

Last edited by John Faulkner; 21-03-2008 at 10:42 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #2   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
The anime sounds very interesting.....I'll check this one out.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #3   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Oh boy, another anime where the weapon is sentient. I take pride in the fact that us westerners moved away from heroes taking on dragons against the odds and evolved to rambo heroes who can take on entire armies against the odds. While easterners just can't stop with the monkey god that is also a pole thing.

"Soul Eater". It just sounds so..done. Isn't there a bunch of other anime called Soul X?
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #4   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Oh boy, another anime where the weapon is sentient. I take pride in the fact that us westerners moved away from heroes taking on dragons against the odds and evolved to rambo heroes who can take on entire armies against the odds. While easterners just can't stop with the monkey god that is also a pole thing.
Us Westerners still have comic book heroes with stupid powers and animal attributes, like Beast from X-Men.

What I'd like to see is more anime along the lines of Grave of the Fireflies - a greater sense of reality (not necessarily sadness). Less flying transforming gerbil-girls with super-slim waists and disproportionately big tits, cybnernetic cockroach men, or somersaulting ninja-eating gun-toting pieces of rabbit ----. More hard-hitting realism - don't bloody fucking sugar-coat or romanticize it, or turn it into some symbolic story with superhuman powers, 7-headed dragons and all that bullshit.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 01-04-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 16-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #5   [permalink]
crimson2

If you dont like it then why post here. I dont understand why you cant just watch it for what it is and not try to categorize it. If you do that for everything you will like nothing.
crimson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #6   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Well it seems this anime made not fans over at Dattebayo fansubs either. They used it for one of their "troll" vids (calling it "Naruto Soulpudden 63").
I accidentallydownloaded it.

They had a guy who couldn't speak Japanese do all the subs. It was farking hilarious with subs. Without them though, well, the art was interesting at times but overall just an uninteresting anime. I read up on it at wiki after seeing the sub because I wanted to know what had really been going on.

And that is why we mock it. If the premise is stupid/old usually the anime itself will follow the same pattern. I tried watching an anime the other day called 'Fafner'. I barely got into the anime before giving up. It was too old a storyline and just not executed properly. "ah yes, here is the prodigy, there is the alien invaders, that's the conspiracy over there...." boooorinnnng.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #7   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
As someone who's seen the anime in question, it's a fun series. I wouldn't say it revolutionary by any means but it makes me laugh. One thing I do like the fact that it has a rotating cast. Each episode will follow one of three meisters and I like that. I almost made a thread for this awhile ago actually. I'll probably get caught up on it when friends of mine get back to school.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 04:20 AM   #8   [permalink]
Cell14

New Anime: Soul Eater

I've seen this show, watched the first few episodes and now I think it's a great show. The story is cool and so are the characters, well, most of them at least. My favorite characters of Soul Eater would be Soul and Blair.
Cell14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #9   [permalink]
crimson2

Thanks for the comments. I think ill check it out.
crimson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #10   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by crimson2 View Post
If you dont like it then why post here.
Why not? I didn't like the trailer, and I gave reasons why I didn't like it (e.g. bland and anorexic characters). Nothing wrong with that.
Old 22-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #11   [permalink]
Jura

I found the humor and fan service to be pretty boring. I always had to wait for those parts to end.
Jura is offline   Reply With Quote