Old 16-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Wink Maburaho

This is a cute one. It takes place in a world where everybody is a magician, but the average person can only use their magic about 100 times before turning to dust and dying. The elite of society can use their magic many, many times more.

At Aoi High School, the students are destined to be the elite of the elite. Almost all can use their magic tens of thousands of times. But Kozuki can only use his eight times. This puts him at the bottom of the pecking order -- until it is discovered that he is the descendant of over 50 of the greatest magicians the world has ever seen. While Kozuki is unremarkable, his children have the potential of being the most powerful of all. So now all the girls in school want Kozuki’s sperm. There are three in particular that the series focuses on:

Rin in the last of a line from one of Japan’s oldest families. With their power on the decline, Rin has been ordered to marry Kozuki. But actually, she is a man-hater and wants to kill Kozuki so she can be free.

Kuriko, voiced in the English version by NGE’s Tiffany Grant, is the school’s rich bitch. Her family is among the most powerful in Japan.

Then there is Yuna, a girl from Kozuki’s past who is the only one actually in love with Kozuki.

I’ve just finished disc 1, episodes 1-4. Some of the action is predictable. When Kozuki needs to conserve his magic to stay alive, he is forced to use it to save the girls. But the series contains a few laughs, and a bit of fan service. This isn’t exactly one of the all time classics, or an anime for the thinking viewer. But I am sticking with this one for now to see how it comes out.

And no spoilers, please!

Last edited by MeMyself; 16-11-2008 at 03:47 PM.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #2   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

Was this one of those series that ADV got then it fell into a black hole? I remember a bit of talk about it years ago, then... nothing.
Old 18-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by mrgazpacho View Post
Was this one of those series that ADV got then it fell into a black hole? I remember a bit of talk about it years ago, then... nothing.
Don't know.
Old 18-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #4   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Yea fan subs FTW^^

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 2, episodes 5-8. The overall tone of the series is still lighthearted and comic. Some of the characters are changing -- for the better. And all the girls still want Kozuki's genes. Lucky him?

Actually, a specter of doom still hangs over Kozuki. Remember he can only use his magic eight times, and then it's lights out. At the rate he's going, he's not going to last the entire series. It's this dark underlining contrasting the overall tone which keeps me interested.
Old 24-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I'm getting through this series rather quickly, because rather than watch each episode twice (in English and Japanese), I am just watching them once in English. Watching disc 1, I realized the original dub with subtitles didn't tell me anything different than the English version. Besides, it is not exactly a complex series to watch.

So I have now finished disc 3, episodes 9-12. And it has finally happened! NUDITY! Although the price you have to pay is to watch a ridiculous story about taking on baseball loving demons.

But in episodes 11 and 12, the series starts to take a tragic route. A real bond has developed between Kozuki, Yuna, Kuriko and Rin. But Kozuki is called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice to save one of the girls. Will he go through with it? It looks like no one will get his genes. But the series is only half over. There is more to come. But things sure are going to be different from now on!
Old 27-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Question

I finished discs 4 and 5, episodes 13-18, and I get the feeling the series has no idea where to go.

I will try not to give away any spoilers.

Following the tragic ending of episode 12, episodes 13-15 do take a slightly darker tone. But they try to make episodes 16-18 more like the first 10 -- whimsical and lighthearted. But whimsy and lightheartedness seem to be out of place after episode 12. Kozuki seems to be getting back to his carefree self, but occasionally has battles with angst. You would think Yuna would feel a bit guilty about episode 12 since she brought it all about. But they are hinting at a happy ending. If there is no happy ending, I would be rather disappointed.

Oh, and Kozuki has a new enemy who may forever imprison him. And she is given a job at his school. What is up with that? You'd think someone would complain.

Episode 18 did end with a cliffhanger. Can Kozuki come to the rescue? Lately he's been pretty wimpy. I hope to get disc 6 tomorrow. There are only two more to go.
Old 29-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #8   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I completed disc 6, episodes 19-21, and we get THE BEST FAN SERVICE YET -- that is if you are really turned on by that sort of thing. Unfortunately, there is also a flashback episode. But there is a plot twist which may or may not lead to a happy ending. Either way, there is a price to pay. I can't go into more detail without posting spoilers.

I will say that the big difference between episodes 1-12 and the last half of the series is that in the first half it is Kozuki saving the girls when their magic fails. In the last half, it is the girls saving Kozuki. All things considered, they do owe him -- especially Yuna.

Will love win out? It will be a while before I can get to the last three episodes. But things are getting interesting again.

Last edited by MeMyself; 29-11-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #9   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs up

I have finished the series. The one thing that made me stick with it for all 24 episodes is the character of Kozuki. The creators of the series did a great job in creating a hero who you really care and cheer for. Kozuki gives his all to help his friends, even if it means sacrificing his own life. Remember, at the beginning of the series he has only eight uses for his magic before he dies and turns to dust. But his magic is not the only power he possesses. He has the power of being Kozuki -- an honest, caring person who can change the people around him for the better. Note how much the characters of Kuriko and Ren change.

In these last three episodes, we learn of Kozuki's fate. His existence is on the line, and even life holds a price which may be too great to pay. There are some surprising twists. The girls come to his aid, but in the end can it be only Kozuki can help himself?

All I will say about the ending is that it gets pretty wild at one point. (Keep watching after the final episode's closing credits.) The ending is worth waiting for. I was not disappointed, although you know the story is not quite over.

Oh, and for you trivia buffs, from episode 5 on, the English scripts are written by Tiffany Grant.

Last edited by MeMyself; 03-12-2008 at 09:28 PM.