Old 14-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Lightbulb Earth Maiden Arjuna

Also known simply as Arjuna.

One bright sunny day, teenager Juna goes on a motorcycle ride with her boyfriend Tokio. But there is an accident. Actually, I think they were pushed. Anyway, Juna dies -- which is kind of a downer since she is the main character. But there's this kid named Chris who is. . . . Well, something or other. He is with an organization named S.E.E.D. He offers to give Juna her life back if she agrees to become the Avatar of Time, fight monsters and save Earth. Only Juna is a wimp, and she thinks that fighting monsters means she has to fight monsters.

Anyway, that's the setup and premise. I've watched disc 1, episodes 1-3. There are times when the animation looks better than average. And the storyline looks to have an environmental message to it.

Has anyone else watched this series? NO SPOILERS PLEASE! I still have three discs to go.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 01:46 AM   #2   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
It was a good series i enjoyed it! But had me confused at some points

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I'm confused as to why it is called Earth Maiden Arjuna, when the character's name is Juna. I guess I will find out eventually.
Old 21-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I've completed disc 2, episodes 4-7.

As the monsterous Raaja turn up everywhere, Juna is about as clueless as ever as to her mission, but she is getting in sync with the natural world around her. She and Tokio get some valuable lessons on ecology. Actually, disc 2 has a lot to say on the damage man does to the planet. It's a good lesson, but does it make for good TV? There are times in disc 2 when feel I am sitting in a science lecture.

Still there is some great animation in here. The sequences showing insects in their habitate relating to the environment are done quite well. It is some of the best animation I have seen in an anime TV series. I was quite impressed.

Meanwhile, it looks as if poor Tokio will never get to kiss Juna. Oh, the problems of teen relationships!
Old 25-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished disc 3, episodes 8-11. Since the Japanese dub with subtitles doesn't add much to what the English dub tells me, I will just watch each episode once in English. It will help me get through the series quicker, and I might as well finish it since there is only one disc left.

The episodes on disc 3 deal more with personal relationships -- between Juna and Tokio, Juna and her family, Tokio and his father, Tokio and this other girl, Chris and Cindy. The episodes here get more interesting, plus the end of the world is waiting. There are some exciting moments which the earlier episodes don't have.

And poor Tokio! MINOR SPOILER AND FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY:

Up to now Juna has not let Tokio kiss her. But in one episode, they are about to have sex on the nighttime beach! But based on the conversation, it seems that Tokio ejaculates before entering Juna. Juna assures him it is all for the best as she does not want to rush things, then kisses him on the top of his head as they lie in the sand together. I've never heard a conversation like that in an anime!
Old 27-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #6   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
This anime still confuses me to this day

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs up

I finished the fourth and final disc, which only contains the last two episodes, not including extras. You'd think they could have fit the entire 13 episode series onto three discs.

Anyway Juna is still clueless, and with her world about to be destroyed (as you figured it would be), and her boyfriend spending time with another girl from school, she had better figure this thing out fast.

Well, in the final two episodes we do get some good action and plot twists. In all, it was a very good ending for a series that at times could be self-indulgent. There are times the series gets so caught up in the message that it actually loses the message by temporarily losing the plot. But like I said, it was a very good ending. So if you make it through the first 11 episodes, you will be rewarded.

Oh, and I think that the closing caption explains why the series is called Arjuna rather than just Juna. But to understand it I think you need to know Japanese.