Old 18-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #1   [permalink]
mangamaniacs

Gantz coming to Dark Horse

Anyone of you guys read this? Dark Horse announced Gantz a few days ago.
I really like this one - what are your comments?
visit AniManga! for all manga & anime news/reviews and much more!
mangamaniacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #2   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Old Gantz thread

I stopped reading Gantz not too long after I posted in that thread. I believe it was somewhere in the 190s or early 200s. I just couldn't stand it. For this title, it's hard for me to say whether I liked it or not. I was hooked on the series because I read so much of it straight through but once I caught up and had time to think about it in between chapters, I started wondering about it's appeal.

It's very interesting how the mangaka can take the story in any way he wants. Nothing is impossible. Nothing is safe. Yet, it's that exact reason why I pull my hair out reading it sometimes. There's no point. I hear the story has gotten even more intense in current chapters and (unfortunately) I may have spoiled myself on something huge that happened recently... but even so, if what I think happened really happened, it only backs up my initial complaint.

Since the mangaka does whatever he wants, it almost feels like he chooses to do the one thing that would have the biggest impact. Ya know, the biggest thing that would make you go "OMG WTF WAS THAT." It's as if he writes the story as it goes along and at the end, he goes "Oh, I think I'll do this to get a huge reaction."

So, once again, I can't say whether I enjoyed this series or not. One day I'll go back and pick up where I left off, mostly for curiosity sake, but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

Regarding the license, it was inevitable. I'm surprised it took this long to get picked up but Gantz is a rather huge title so I'm sure there were plenty of licensing issues that held it back.
Old 18-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #3   [permalink]
mangamaniacs

Interesting opinion!
visit AniManga! for all manga & anime news/reviews and much more!
mangamaniacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #4   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Originally Posted by mangamaniacs
Anyone of you guys read this? Dark Horse announced Gantz a few days ago.
I really like this one - what are your comments?
Hell it's about time. But it better get a once a month release or else we'll die before the series finishes up in Amerikkka.

I should start reading the series again since I stopped around after the Oni mission because that's where the scanlations had ended. Had to be over a year ago.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 03:18 AM   #5   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
I have never read the Manga, but watched the Anime. But with such an American company like Dark Horse, I wonder if they will edit the crap out of it. Because I would imagine that some of the scenes would be intense.
Old 28-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #6   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Wow, I didn't realize Dark Horse had announced this almost a year before it actually debuted.

Anyways, I've been reading it as it's come out and I've really, really been loving it. It's funny, it's exciting, and at this point I'm not too sure of where it's going. Of course I am not too far into it but I've been enjoying what I've read so far. I'm curious if anyone else here who's read it or is currently reading it thinks that this is a satire of a lot of shonen manga conventions. The opening reads almost exactly like the opening to Yu Yu Hakusho only it doesn't end well for anyone. The main character is obviously an irreedeemable bastard while the character we might normally like is pretty much a wimp. The main female lead seems to be there as a sex object only that aspect seems to get played up to the point that it has to be parody. I'm not sure if I'm reading this comic correctly or if I'm giving it far more credit than it actually deserves.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote