Old 29-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #1   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Youtube

Can't remember if this has been brought up before or not but I thought I would ask. What's the verdict on posting Youtube videos? I know that Animeboards was conceived before the invention of such a site, but does posting them fall under the same rule as posting links to fansub downloads and AMVs? I have a feeling it does but I thought I would ask as I think being able to post them would be helpful in threads like the Asian Movie thread or even some of the general discussion threads so that we can generate interests and create topics.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #2   [permalink]
Tsunami-X
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tsunami-X
I'm sure it doesn't hurt to post certain video's that wouldn't get the website in trouble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2QA9uE89Mw

Tsunami-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #3   [permalink]
Morbius
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Morbius Send a message via Yahoo to Morbius
Well, not to sound like JF or anything, but I think this is the main reason for the decline in this message board's popularity. When this site was popular, streaming videos wasn't a big thing. Most of the anime I watched was burnt copies traded by mail with other members here. The majority of members here actually rented or bought their anime.

Now, if anyone wants to watch a certain anime, they can go to a site that has links to the videos on Youtube, Megavideo or some other similar video site. And these sites that provide links to all these animes usually have a forum to discuss them too. Obviously, I can't link any examples of these sites here without violating the rules, but the main question is: why would anyone come to one site to discuss anime and another to find links to the episodes when they just go to one place for both?

At the other message board I frequent (not an anime board), when we have threads for specific TV shows, members post links, when asked, to the latest episode so that the people who missed it on TV can watch it and join in the discussion without having to worry about spoilers. Plus, a lot of the links aren't illegal because they come from the network that airs the show or licensed sites like Hulu. I know a lot of anime is available legally on Hulu and the Cartoon Network's website and providing links to these videos would increase the popularity of this site greatly.

I don't know... AB is more of a shrine to another time than anything new and innovative and I have a certain respect for that. Maybe things shouldn't change...
Old 30-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #4   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

I remember asking Eva2000 about linking to a site that was legally streaming anime films, Sputnik7 (which no longer streams them), and not much came about that. I'm with you. One of the reasons that I came to animeboards was the discussion of anime and being able to share it with other members online or even back when I was buying regularly. That was a big part of me staying here for awhile.

Now, I haven't had the money to really invest in anime series for some time. Also it's been awhile since I've had someone who isn't giggling suggest an anime to me. I think it would be great if we could link to sites that are legally streaming anime. I know that Funimation right now is streaming episodes of Full Metal Alchemist; Brotherhood as they are completed.

I'm curious how Eva would feel about linking to sites like that. Maybe he can find ways to make deals with certain sites or partnerships?
Old 30-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #5   [permalink]
Tsunami-X
Forum Elite

Appart from Hulu are these websites charging admission for viewing anime?
If not how can we be sure they are streaming the content legally?
There are so many back doors and loop holes when it comes to copyright issues. Heck, you can get jail time for watching an illegal movie stream on the web these days.
I agree it's an awsome idea (especially the exploding toilet), but in the end it's just easier not to post them. (From Eva2k's POV of course.)

Old 30-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #6   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Well considering that Cartoon Network is a recognized cable network and that Funimation is a widely recognized distributor of anime, I'm pretty sure those two are streaming it for free and legally.
Old 30-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #7   [permalink]
Tsunami-X
Forum Elite

Agreed but beyond that is questionable.

Old 30-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #8   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Can't remember if this has been brought up before or not but I thought I would ask. What's the verdict on posting Youtube videos? I know that Animeboards was conceived before the invention of such a site, but does posting them fall under the same rule as posting links to fansub downloads and AMVs? I have a feeling it does but I thought I would ask as I think being able to post them would be helpful in threads like the Asian Movie thread or even some of the general discussion threads so that we can generate interests and create topics.
In terms of anime, I think links to YouTube videos with illegal material is definitely against the rules. Not sure about Asian movies.

Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
Well, not to sound like JF or anything,
You sound a lot like me in that post. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and I am truly flattered!

Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
I don't know... AB is more of a shrine to another time than anything new and innovative and I have a certain respect for that. Maybe things shouldn't change...
AB is cutting-edge by not bowing down to the insatiable appetite for illegal fansubs. It has integrity and for that, Eva2k has earned my eternal respect. .
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote