Old 16-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Please! Twins

I really don't know why I am watching this series in the first place. It is sort of a sequel to Please! Teacher, which I did not think too much of. (Sort of because it follows a different storyline.)

Maiku is a high school student who was abandoned by his mother, and like half the teenagers in anime lives on his own. He knows he has a twin sister somewhere, but when two possible twins, Miina and Karen show up. . . . Well, that's the premise.

There is lots of nudity, and hints of sexuality. But in the first four episodes, no actual sex. But as I recall there was no sex until past halfway through Please! Teacher. Please! Teacher I felt crossed the line when it showed a silhouette of one of the male teachers mounting one of the female students. Nothing like that yet in Please! Twins. Please! Twins just seems to tease you.

But so far Twins is actually a bit better than Teacher. Some of the Teacher characters do appear in supporting roles.

Code Geass' Johnny Yong Bosch is Maiku. The English cast also includes Crispin Freeman.

I have only seen disc 1. I will give disc 2 a try. So far, it is fairly entertaining, but a bit mindless.

POST NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Angry This may be crossing the line, just a bit

I just finished disc 2, episodes 5-8. It is no surprise where this series is going, so I don't think it would be too much of a spoiler to say that Miina and Karen are having romantic feelings towards Maiku, and Maiku finds himself aroused by the girls -- one of whom is certainly his long lost sister. But that is the premise of the series.

There is one minor plot development which I do find disturbing. One of the senior boys at Maiku's school, a character left over from Please! Teacher, is most certainly sexually attracted to his younger sister -- and he is trying to act on those feelings. Personally, I find this a bit more tasteless than the male teacher humping one of his female students in Please! Teacher. Does this sort of thing happen in Japan all the time? The story of Maiku, Miina and Karen is sort of cute, but showing this other kid preying on his innocent sister is a bit much for me.

I haven't decided if I am going to finish the series. It may be a while before I get disc 3, because there is a short wait on Netflix. To those who have seen the series, no spoilers. Just tell me if the series is worth finishing, or does it get even sicker?
Old 22-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs down

I just finished disc 3, episodes 8-10. With one disc left, I might as well finish it, although I am wondering why I am continuing. The series will really have to end with a bang to redeem itself. It is only a 13 episode series, but by episode 8 they are in a rut. These three episodes pretty much repeat everything that has gone on in the first seven. "Oh, I love Mike. Oh, we may be related. Or we may be strangers. Do I really belong? Do you want me to stay? Yes we are a family." It is like that in every episode. Episode 9 does end with a potential plot twist, but it goes nowhere. Episode 10 also ends with a potential plot twist. I have to see if it amounts to anything, but I doubt it.

Oh, yes. I have noticed they are using more stills in these three episodes in place of actual animation.

There is one disc to go, as I said I might as well finish it. But I am not hopeful.
Old 25-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I've finished disc 4, episodes 11-13. The series actually seems to end at episode 12, and 13 is just a bonus episode. Actually, 13 is the only episode with actual sex, although it is not as blatant as Please! Teacher.

So how does the series end? I will only say that there are no surprises. You can figure this one out before the end of disc 2. It would have been nice for them to throw in a curve. But no. No surprises. No twists. Nothing really to make this one stand out. Oh, it does have some entertaining moments, but overall I rate this series just average. Nothing really special here.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #5   [permalink]
Hardcover

This sounds kinda fun, I might check this out. I tend to like the saucy anime, though I never relate well to just romantic stories. I like it when they mix up the romance with more fantastic elements and comedy. I just managed to get addicted to Negima, for example, (which yes, I realize is very different).
Hardcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #6   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by MeMyself View Post
Please! Teacher I felt crossed the line when it showed a silhouette of one of the male teachers mounting one of the female students.
This is just totally sick and is the type of stuff that gives anime a bad name among normal people. For all the good work that Hayao Miyazaki does in bringing his excellent anime films to the attention of the world, and elevating the status of anime as a genuine artform worthy of deep analysis, all it takes is some sicko creating filth like this to set the perception of anime in the West back 50 yrs.

If I was the Emperor of Japan, I would deport anyone involved in the creation of Please! Teacher to a remote Pacific Island, and have them tortured.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Unfortunately, Japan is a democracy and the Emperor is just a figurehead.