Old 21-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #16   [permalink]
kamikazefstorm
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to kamikazefstorm
I agree.

I think the only manga I've read recently was horror manga, usually with zombies as the main theme.....
kamikazefstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #17   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
I don't read manga. Most of them look incredibly childish and I've got better things to do.
Originally Posted by dheu View Post
Interesting. I'd actually say that there are much more adult-oriented or mature manga out there than there are anime, from my experience. It's easier to find, at least. That's why I've been watching much less anime and reading much more manga.
I am in the same boat as you Dheu. Animation is generally a commercially driven art form that occasionally allows for very personal storytelling. I'm not saying this as negative criticism it's just a fact. Unless you are a Don Hertzfeld or Bill Plympton willing to spend years working on an animated short all by yourself, you need a major corporation to financially back things up.

Comics however are completely different. All you need is a stack of paper, a pencil, ink, and a story. You don't have to have someone over your shoulder telling to make something more toyetic or making you put a cute pet in their so it appeals to the under 3 crowd. It's essentially all up to you. Personally, I've been reading more manga lately and enjoying the heck out of it. It's more satisfying than anime for me especially since I can read it at my own pace, I don't have to invest nearly as much time nor money in some cases. Also I rarely ever feel cheated when I purchase it which I can't say the same for anime.

Personally John you are being willfully ignorant in that statement without bothering to investigate something with which you clearly are unfamiliar. I certainly wouldn't call the work of Naoki Urasawa on Monster or Pluto childish at all. Especially Pluto which is a story that works on a narrative that can be read as a remake of an Osamu Tezuka story, a robot adventure, a murder mystery, and a commentary on the Iraq War. I'm on my second reading of it and it's just as good the second time as the first.

Speaking of Osamu Tezuka, his work may look childish but honestly I would consider his work amongst the finest of the 20th Century. It always astounds me that throughout his career he was constantly trying to push himself as an artist and the subject matter that he tackled. I certainly wouldn't read something like Ode to Kirihito to a child seeing that deals with rape, slave trade, and Christian ideology.

And don't get me started on manga like Abandon the Old in Tokyo, Drifting Classroom, Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms, and so many other manga that deal with serious subject matter.
Just because something looks childish doesn't necessarily mean it is. I can think of several childrens book and young adult novels that are just as serious and thought provoking as ones geared more towards adults.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #18   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Minor update: Having been several months since I created this thread and I can now read my own post w/o bias, so to speak, I do see a small pattern among most of the titles I've listed: slice-of-life.

And that makes sense since I thoroughly enjoy slice-of-life ANYTHING. To most, it's boring, everyday drivel but damn if it isn't oddly compelling for me.

Anyway, it's interesting reading the few on-topic posts in this thread. When I first wrote this up, I had no idea where I was really going with it. After typing some of it up and now, reading it again, it opens up a (slightly) different view of the manga that I have loved and reading the thoughts of those that posted.

On a side note, there are plenty of shoujo manga I can recommend. There was like a year or year and a half where I was completely drawn into nothing but shoujo and went through many many MANY series'. Unfortunately, 80% of it was read simply because of my sudden fascination with shoujo and in retrospect, very formulaic and, for use of a better word, lame. I did, however, read some very good series'.

If interested, I can recommend some, based on genre interests, but somewhere else. Maybe if I get bored, I'll start another WOT thread filled with nothing but shoujo related stuffs.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #19   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Please list shoujo manga that won't make a person who doesn't regularly read Shoujo want to gouge their eyes out.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #20   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Please list shoujo manga that won't make a person who doesn't regularly read Shoujo want to gouge their eyes out.
Please list Shoujo manga that won't make a normal person like me want to gouge their eyes out.

Completely off topic John.

Kawaii Miko

Last edited by Kawaii Miko; 09-07-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Spamming + warning
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #21   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
That's quite a tall request. Ya have to understand that shoujo can fall prey to formulaic and often regurgitated cliches as shounen does and if that type of repetiveness bugs ya, it's good to avoid it altogether. The way I see it, just because it's "been done" doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable.

I tend to focus on shoujo that have a heavier emphasis on characters opposed to a driving story or BANG BANG action. I also avoid the super fluffy titles, many of which could be considered MUST READ titles. I *am* a guy, so of course my tastes will differ from the typical girl's interests.

I haven't read new shoujo in a while so all these examples are rather dated.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou and Fruits Basket are among my faves. The former has some interesting and unique characters and is great up until volume 12ish, then it gets kinda too psychological and depressing. The latter is simply beautiful and the heroine is, hands down, my fave female lead. It's very slice-of-life so stay away if that stuff is boring.

Maria-sama ga Miteru is another of my faves but be warned if you are averse to shoujo-ai. It's also uber slice-of-life and is purely about relationships. (Check out the anime instead, if possible, as this is one of the rare times I'd say the anime was better than the manga)

Eien no With and Family Complex are both short titles worth looking into. Again, both have a good dose of slice-of-life. The former is kinda sad and tragic.

Crossroad is a solid relationship title with good characters. It starts off well, has a funky twist, then continues on well.

That's all I can think of atm. I'm sure if you check out one or two of these, it'll tie you up for a bit. If you're anything like me, it's impossible to soak in too much shoujo at once. It's probably why I avoid the ones with too much angst and drama... though that applies to any genre, heh.

Last edited by oppa; 10-07-2009 at 12:37 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #22   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Thanks for the listing oppa. I'm working on something that involves romance and unfortunately there are not a whole lot of English language romance comics in available print right now.