Old 15-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Exclamation Mermaid Forrest

The first thing you have to know is that whoever eats mermaid flesh most likely will either turn into a monster or die. A lucky few will become immortal, only Yuta does not feel lucky. He's been living for 500 years, and wants nothing more than to be a regular human. That's the background info on Mermaid Forrest.

I just finished disc 1, episodes 1-3. Episode 1 sets the stage. Yuta saves 15-year-old Mana, who is also immortal, and I guess that together they will seek a "cure." Only the flashbacks start with episodes 2 and 3. Here we also meet Isago, voiced by Wendee Lee. This is not a spoiler since I do not know for sure, but it is only a suspicion of mine that we will see more of Isago, who may be the series' villianess.

Speaking of spoilers, there may be one in the opening credits. The previews of episode 3 contain spoilers as well. You would think they would be more careful.

Adult/teenage relationships in anime are not that uncommon. But a 500-year-old and a 15-year-old is pushing it. Of course, Yuta does look good for his age.

I haven't made my mind up yet about this one. There are three discs to go, and it is good enough for me to want to finish. There is action and romance. The animation is pretty good as is the artwork.

Any comments? If so,
PLEASE NO SPOILERS!

Last edited by MeMyself; 25-07-2009 at 11:20 PM.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I've finished disc 2, episodes 4-6. Yuta and Mana continue on their series of adventures. Things do get exciting, although this dying-and-coming-back-to-life thing is on the verge of becoming cliche.

This is really a simple anime on the mental level. For the first disc, I watched each episode twice -- once in English and once in Japanese with subtitles. I determined that watching it a second time in Japanese is not necessary. The original dub does not seem to add anything to the story that the English dub misses, plus the subtitles seem incomplete.

I already have disc 3, so I might as well finish the series. I am half-way through.

Last edited by MeMyself; 25-07-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 23-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Let me take back something I said in my first post. It looks like Isago is not going to be a recurring character. I think we say the last of her.

So I finished disc 3, episodes 7-9. There is one flashback episode and a two-parter. I won't give anything away, but I will say that Yuta and Mana look pretty good for two people who keep getting chopped up.

The series has it's dark moments, but overall it is not as dark as I expected.

I will give my final review once I finish disc 4, which I should get tomorrow.

Last edited by MeMyself; 25-07-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 23-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #4   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

Hmmm... never seen it, although it's generally been well-received. Might be worth a look one day.
Old 23-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #5   [permalink]
direking

Originally Posted by MeMyself View Post
Let me take back something I said in my first post. It looks like Isago is not going to be a recurring character. I think we say the last of her.

So I finished disc 3, episodes 7-9. There is one flashback episode and a two-parter. I won't give anything away, but I will say that Yuka and Mana look pretty good for two people who keep getting chopped up.

The series has it's dark moments, but overall it is not as dark as I expected.

I will give my final review once I finish disc 4, which I should get tomorrow.

em, thanks for your sharing, hope to read more about this anime from your post

Last edited by direking; 23-07-2009 at 11:46 PM.
direking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I have finished the series! Disc 4 contains the final four episodes, and it looks like Yuta's luck is about to run out! It is a pretty exciting climax, although they certainly could have run the series for a few more episodes. I bet over the past 500 years, Yuta has had many more exciting adventures. Plus now he has a mortal enemy! What a time for the series to end!

Before I mentioned that Mermaid Forrest is not as dark as I thought it would be. This is despite the fact that several of the episodes do have tragic elements to them. I think it is because of the color scheme used in the artwork. It is much too bright. I think a color scheme similar to Boogiepop Phantom would have been more effective.

On the down side, the episodes are all pretty simple and one-dimensional. There is nothing complex here. They also could have gotten into the personal relationship between Yuta and Mana a bit more. After two years, you’d think they would be more than just friends. Also this coming-back-to-life thing may have been a bit overdone.

Still, the series was enjoyable. It is a bit bloody, so it is not for the children.

Last edited by MeMyself; 25-07-2009 at 11:18 PM.