Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #1   [permalink]
Seifer_fan
Senior Member
 
Seifer_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 154
i am not new, i just have a question.......

QUESTION?why is it that i am like the only one with a lot of friends on this site, you could go to my uncles favorite site and see that almost everybody has over 50 friends, unless they are newcomers.... and how many people are still active, not on the list of people that are on this site, i am just suggesting that the people who made this site make a list for finding people that are active and have posted recently.... it gets kind of annoying when you are posting and notice the last post date was over 4 years ago.... Does anyone agree with me, if you don't i will openly take critism................... Who ever agrees should say so.

That is all i have to say, oh yeah, and i can type faster, i just had to add that on, sooooooo....... weird......... i feel so hyper but i am going to end this right now, buh byes peopless!!
__________________
"Don't forget to bring a towel."
Seifer_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #2   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
it gets kind of annoying when you are posting and notice the last post date was over 4 years ago.... Does anyone agree with me, if you don't i will openly take critism................... Who ever agrees should say so.
Seifer_fan, I can totally see where you are coming from on this point. I must commend you highly for being the first new member with the courage to speak what is inside your heart. If any mods are reading this, it would be wonderful if this can be moved to an appropriate sub-forum for futher discussion, to reward Seifer_fan for giving us a long overdue, yet insightful, viewpoint from a new member.

Truth be told, Seifer_fan, times have been tough for the metropolis that is AnimeBoards. Rampant emigration and blase members have threatened to thrust this place onto an irreversible downward spiral towards just another anime messageboard devoid of any real intelligence.

But this is where people like Eva2k, the mods and I come into play. We will not give up the fight, despite all being high-flying members of society with luxuriously-paid jobs. We have formed a tight-knit crack team of proactive leaders that have dared to confront the downward spiral, to try and smash it upwards into the heavens above. Rest assured, Seifer_fan: we will defend AnimeBoards with our blood and souls.

All around us, people are losing their minds.
In these times of madness, we start to lose our sanity.
But an immortal Spirit burns with supernatural strength.
It is the flame that never dies.
It is the Voice amidst the unholy darkness of human society.
We can feel your presence, Lord.
Your Light will conquer evil.


That's right, you mentioned how pain gripped your soul at old posting dates reminiscent of an ancient civilization, but Eva2k is actively addressing this point by archiving inactive sub-forums - feel free to contribute to this delicate operation by suggesting sub-forums to archive here: http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=66257.

Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
and how many people are still active, not on the list of people that are on this site, i am just suggesting that the people who made this site make a list for finding people that are active and have posted recently....
I'll help out Eva2k here by giving you a list of some people who've visited today or recently, together with an indication of their respective recent activities:

Me: resident polymath; extremely active and makes thought-provoking threads and posts on a regular basis. Together with Eva2k and the mods, part of an elite squad of members striving to make AnimeBoards irresistible.

Project_Akira: critic of said resident polymath; fairly active.

ADispatcher: v. low activity; v. short posts.

cool2burn: critic of said resident polymath; low activity of late.

724496: critic of said resident polymath; v. low activity; v. short posts.

GothixEmo: v. low activity; has entered into a vow of silence; only ever seems to hang around in the Introductions sub-forum for some totally bizarre reason.

MeMyself: possibly AnimeBoard's #1 anime poster (another candidate is me); fairly active.

Morbius: a recent post made by this member is a rare specimen indeed.

Black_Knight: former ally of said resident polymath; rumoured to be still operating at 4chan.

Glad I could help!

Last edited by John Faulkner; 10-07-2009 at 08:35 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #3   [permalink]
Pen2
Senior Moderator
 
Pen2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Jun 2000
Location: In a small room, plotting your downfall.
Posts: 5,890
Send a message via AIM to Pen2
How do you call yourself a polymath when you only have two talents and one of them is the ability to invent terms and exclaim them in red text?
Pen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #4   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Pen2 View Post
How do you call yourself a polymath when you only have two talents and one of them is the ability to invent terms and exclaim them in red text?
Hi Pen2, glad to see you're still posting! .

A polymath is one who has great knowledge on a broad range of subjects, so the issue of the number of talents (innate abilities) one has does not really come into it. But since we're on the topic of talent, here is a list of talents with respect to my activity on AnimeBoards:
  • Ability to write beautiful poems that ooze pathos
  • Ability to create literate threads and posts that touch on key philosophical issues
  • Ability to make world-class satirical and humourous posts that bamboozle even the most hardened of messageboard posters by virtue of their subtle nature
  • Ability to galvanize the AnimeBoards population through community-based threads
  • Ability to brain-storm a continuous flow of rich ideas to improve AnimeBoards.

By the way, Pen2, I am thrilled to inform you that last week, we broke the weekly record for the number of posts (considering the last 1 yr's worth of posting activity)! I have to hand it to Eva2k and you mods; it wouldn't have happened without your collective time and effort. I will post more stunning statistics in a new thread soon. .

Last edited by John Faulkner; 12-07-2009 at 09:38 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #5   [permalink]
Pen2
Senior Moderator
 
Pen2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Jun 2000
Location: In a small room, plotting your downfall.
Posts: 5,890
Send a message via AIM to Pen2
I don't think even you know the point where the self-satire stops and your ego begins.
Pen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #6   [permalink]
Tsunami-X
Forum Elite
 
Tsunami-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 Oct 2000
Location: Melbourne, Florida, not Aus.
Posts: 1,707
Send a message via AIM to Tsunami-X
Originally Posted by Seifer_fan
i feel so hyper but i am going to end this right now, buh byes peopless!!
Suicide is not the way man!
__________________
No Yamcha for the Cabbit!!!!

Tsunami-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #7   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Pen2 View Post
I don't think even you know the point where the self-satire stops and your ego begins.
Don't worry Pen2, rest assured that I am a person who is supremely and intimately aware of my conscious ego, my Superego, my Id, my collective unconscious, my shadow, my Self, the divine spark within me that strives to break through the power of the planetary angels, and ... God. .

As such, no matter how my posting style develops, I am acutely aware of my true personality and am in zero danger of the psychological pit-falls of using the Internet. As I alluded to in my posts to ADispatcher, it takes no small effort to decipher my delicious blend of serious points, cutting-edge insights, incredibly subtle humour and world-class satire. But I think you have demonstrated through your posts that you are well capable of doing so. .

P.S. How're the polls coming along? Are they ready yet? .
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #8   [permalink]
David Ikari
Forum Master
 
David Ikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26 Jun 2000
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,388
Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
QUESTION?why is it that i am like the only one with a lot of friends on this site, you could go to my uncles favorite site and see that almost everybody has over 50 friends, unless they are newcomers.... and how many people are still active, not on the list of people that are on this site, i am just suggesting that the people who made this site make a list for finding people that are active and have posted recently.... it gets kind of annoying when you are posting and notice the last post date was over 4 years ago.... Does anyone agree with me, if you don't i will openly take critism................... Who ever agrees should say so.

That is all i have to say, oh yeah, and i can type faster, i just had to add that on, sooooooo....... weird......... i feel so hyper but i am going to end this right now, buh byes peopless!!
Friends weren't a massive thing on AB. As far as I can tell they're pretty new. Most people remembered everyone else by reputation and post count, and all of our discussions took place in two easily tracked forums.

If I'm remembering right, there was an e-mail sent out to all members asking them to sign in due to inactivity on their account. Those who didn't sign in were shipped into inactive status. Some of the olds jumped back on to ensure their ID remained active without contributing like they used to (like me, for instance). To them, AB was a place they'll always return.

And about the older threads. Don't worry about whether they're old or not. You're point or contribution will still be the same. It could inspire a correction or renewed interest in an old topic. And some members have e-mail notification switched on, meaning they'll be alerted immediately when you post your reply. Go for it!
David Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #9   [permalink]
Seifer_fan
Senior Member
 
Seifer_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 154
Quote:
Most people remembered everyone else by reputation and post count,

why!!, why is it like that!!? We should all know eachother in some way... that is why, when i got an account on this site that i tried to get as many friends as possible, it is kind of stupid just to know people just because of post count and reputation! I Try to find friends that have a decent ammount of post, but are still fun to message, And Wat is with the little titles that everyone has?! Is it just so we can be proud of ourselves over how many posts we have, or is it just to seperate people so that you can tell who posts and who doesnt post, or for people to get seperated into groups that post a lot or a little, i think the only people who should have the "titltes are the elite posters. people that have posted over some set ammount. We should all try to become friends, we suggest ideas to each other, we should become friends so we can communicate with things other than just posting stuff on the web, not saying that we should meet in real-life, just stuff like e-mails and instant messaging, we all need to band together to make this site better, we all can't just wait for certain people, like the site makers, or site moderators to make it better, we have to help them do it.




so who agrees with me?

(your choice)
__________________
"Don't forget to bring a towel."
Seifer_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #10   [permalink]
Tsunami-X
Forum Elite
 
Tsunami-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 Oct 2000
Location: Melbourne, Florida, not Aus.
Posts: 1,707
Send a message via AIM to Tsunami-X
I would say the majority of members who currently post are from 2005 and before. Back in the day when I was a teen, what you stated is exactly what went on.
Large masses of people would chit'chat with each other, share IM's, share email's etc. etc.
Now'a'days the majority of posters are in their 20's, 30's, and while they still enjoy anime don't have the time to actively socialize with people over the web.

I agree with your statements and I've already seen a big improvement.
I stopped posting around 03-04 and would usually come back a few times a year to see how things were going and the past few years have been the worst.
It seems like more and more people (in the past few months) are coming back to chitchat with old friends etcetc.
Once the restructure happens and new members start joining it'l pickup speed.
__________________
No Yamcha for the Cabbit!!!!


Last edited by Tsunami-X; 14-07-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Tsunami-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #11   [permalink]
Seifer_fan
Senior Member
 
Seifer_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 154
Quote:
Once the restructure happens and new members start joining it'l pickup speed
I hope, it sucks to not be able to see this site in it's hayday. Meaning that everybody was e-mailing and posting to eachother, now it is just something that almost nobody does. We should try to get some people, or i could suggest to my uncle to help in recruting people, or even helping out in the recunstruction and reforming of AB. He is a great artist, and could also get some people from the site he post's on to join in and help too.

Quote:
there was an e-mail sent out to all members asking them to sign in due to inactivity on their account.
you should do something about the people who did'nt log on when they got the e-mail, like just delete the account, or make it so they have to renew it or something..
__________________
"Don't forget to bring a towel."
Seifer_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #12   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
why!!, why is it like that!!? We should all know eachother in some way... that is why, when i got an account on this site that i tried to get as many friends as possible, it is kind of stupid just to know people just because of post count and reputation! I Try to find friends that have a decent ammount of post, but are still fun to message, And Wat is with the little titles that everyone has?! Is it just so we can be proud of ourselves over how many posts we have, or is it just to seperate people so that you can tell who posts and who doesnt post, or for people to get seperated into groups that post a lot or a little, i think the only people who should have the "titltes are the elite posters. people that have posted over some set ammount. We should all try to become friends, we suggest ideas to each other, we should become friends so we can communicate with things other than just posting stuff on the web, not saying that we should meet in real-life, just stuff like e-mails and instant messaging, we all need to band together to make this site better, we all can't just wait for certain people, like the site makers, or site moderators to make it better, we have to help them do it.
Wow. Now this is what I call passion. This is what I call pride. Upon reading this, I immediately saw the parallels to Christ screaming: "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" ("My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?").

I understand from your other post in the Contact admin subforum that you are ready to walk the walk, as well as talking the talk. Such bravery I thought I will never see on these boards again ... forgive me, but a tear of unconfined joy has just escaped from the corner of my eye. However, be warned: the journey is an arduous one. To follow in the hallowed footsteps of the AnimeBoards Spirit towards greater posting activity, one must bear the cross on one's shoulders.

But do not fear, Seifer_fan, you are not alone. I have made it my calling to adhere to the Law set out by the AnimeBoards Spirit and to fulfil the covenant it had made with the members of AnimeBoards. I am here willing to sacrifice my online body for our King of kings Eva2000. Do not be afraid of any obstacles, however daunting. Even though I may not always be here, my presence will forever radiate with pure brilliance through the Spirit, crushing all obstacles that may block your path. Our quest is not just to improve the posting rate on an anime forum; it is also to sanctify our Internet existence and achieve salvation of our tired minds. As such, don't take any kind of ---- from members hindering your dreams.

Seifer_fan, I am proud to call you a Forum Missionary. You will make a worthy replacement for former revolutionary Black_Knight.

Go forth, young warrior. You are of pure heart; the path to salvation awaits. Do what you can to carry AnimeBoards to Digital Nirvana. Have faith.

P.S. Don't take any notice of member titles; they change according to how many posts you make, but that is no indication of post quality. Don't take any notice of how long a member's been here either, because that doesn't mean jackshit. What matters is posting quality and how much heart a member has.

Originally Posted by Tsunami-X View Post
Now'a'days the majority of posters are in their 20's, 30's, and while they still enjoy anime don't have the time to actively socialize with people over the web.
The impression I get is that most don't really bother watching anime anymore and treat AnimeBoards like Facebook.

Originally Posted by Tsunami-X View Post
I agree with your statements and I've already seen a big improvement.
Objectively, the posting rate has improved slightly. That's because of great posts by members like you and me, but the real issue is sustainability.

Originally Posted by Tsunami-X View Post
the past few years have been the worst.
There was a brief peak in activity sometime in 2007, similar to what we're experiencing now. Post rates plummeted after that, so let that be a warning to us, lest we get complacent now. We have to be vigilant. We have to fight for our very existence and be on our guard against false prophets.

Originally Posted by Tsunami-X View Post
Once the restructure happens and new members start joining it'l pickup speed.
Wouldn't be so sure of that unless we drag AB kicking and screaming into a new era with all our might.

Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
I hope, it sucks to not be able to see this site in it's hayday.
Click on the link in this thread to see AB in its pomp - http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....0&postcount=12. Notice how some of the members still knocking around were captured in action more than 8 years ago. Witness the awe-inspiring history of our Great Heritage.

Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
you should do something about the people who did'nt log on when they got the e-mail, like just delete the account, or make it so they have to renew it or something..
My thoughts exactly. Get rid of these useless accounts. .

Last edited by John Faulkner; 14-07-2009 at 11:07 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #13   [permalink]
Seifer_fan
Senior Member
 
Seifer_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 154
Thank you for calling me a forum missionary.. I feel it is everybody on this site's duty and priveledge to help in the recunstruction of AB.

Quote:
The impression I get is that most don't really bother watching anime anymore and treat AnimeBoards like Facebook.
i am going to have to agree with you on that, people!! This is not face book, we are here to discuss anime and not just normal life! Why the heck do you think they named the site AnimeBoards?? We are not here to discuss just normal life, although we can if we want to, but it is still not very appropriate if we discuss hat on a site dedicated to posting judgements and praise on anime, if you all want to post about life, go to Facebook or Myspace!!

John Faulkner, i agree with all you say, and everyone else who does not care much about this site just sickens me... I would like it if everyone would make an effort to help, instead of just turning a a blind eye..oh yeah, and I would like to express my gratitude to all who put up with my ignorance of anime, with my questions of "wat the heck is claymore?!" and stuff like that, i am slightly new to all the anime stuff, so just bear with me on it, and try not to become irritated with all my questions.


Thank you
__________________
"Don't forget to bring a towel."
Seifer_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #14   [permalink]
Darkandiel
Junior Member
 
Darkandiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19 Jun 2008
Posts: 34
Send a message via MSN to Darkandiel
Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
QUESTION?why is it that i am like the only one with a lot of friends on this site, you could go to my uncles favorite site and see that almost everybody has over 50 friends, unless they are newcomers.... and how many people are still active, not on the list of people that are on this site, i am just suggesting that the people who made this site make a list for finding people that are active and have posted recently.... it gets kind of annoying when you are posting and notice the last post date was over 4 years ago.... Does anyone agree with me, if you don't i will openly take critism................... Who ever agrees should say so.

That is all i have to say, oh yeah, and i can type faster, i just had to add that on, sooooooo....... weird......... i feel so hyper but i am going to end this right now, buh byes peopless!!

Ah! When I first read your post, I thought "OMG this guy wants to be a friend-whore" Then I realised that you just wanted a way of keeping track of people who are active. I have not been the most active myself ><

There is the option of allowing people to view when someone visited last in the member list. That way you could sort members by last visit and see who is active. A lot of other forums have this feature. Maybe this is something that could be implemented here?

As for the having loads of friend's list thing. On another site I would have had next to 100 "friends" overall. Honestly I remove people from it periodically because what is the point in having people on a list that join up, request friend status and leave. Admittedly, most people add me, I never use the feature unless I know them well and want to find their profile quickly in order to message them. Besides, I add the people I like and know for a while to msn or they add me, (not all of them are on my friend's list) so friend's list is not really an idea of who you are friends with. I put the friend's list, reputation system and postcount all under the "e-peen" label. Make good posts and people will get to know you by reputation and like you. It goes the opposite way when you spam and make crap posts. No one needs to have fake friends on a list to get to know people. ^_~

Last edited by Darkandiel; 23-07-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Darkandiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #15   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
I feel it is everybody on this site's duty and priveledge to help in the recunstruction of AB.
I think it's safe to write off the current members here as hopeless causes when it comes to reconstructing AB. You only have to see the drivel posted in Members Only to see what kind of people you're dealing with.

Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
i am going to have to agree with you on that, people!! This is not face book, we are here to discuss anime and not just normal life! Why the heck do you think they named the site AnimeBoards?? We are not here to discuss just normal life, although we can if we want to, but it is still not very appropriate if we discuss hat on a site dedicated to posting judgements and praise on anime, if you all want to post about life, go to Facebook or Myspace!!
I can't think of many more things duller than reading the thoughtless ramblings of people on the Internet, often about their useless lives.

I often wonder why the people who never post about anime here anymore just sod off and set up an account on Facebook or Myspace or whatever bollocks they have nowadays to hold the attention of dullards.

Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
iJohn Faulkner, i agree with all you say, and everyone else who does not care much about this site just sickens me...
That stands to reason because they're sickening people.

Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
There is the option of allowing people to view when someone visited last in the member list. That way you could sort members by last visit and see who is active. A lot of other forums have this feature. Maybe this is something that could be implemented here?
That's the equivalent of putting band-aid on a broken back.

Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
Make good posts and people will get to know you by reputation and like you. It goes the opposite way when you spam and make crap posts. No one needs to have fake friends on a list to get to know people. ^_~
It never ceases to amaze me that people on Internet messageboards, msn etc. call anonymous people they've never met "friends". If these people know anything about human psychology or people offline, they would learn not to put so much faith in words/pictures. These people have a brain disease and I'm not sure what the cure is; suffice to say they show an advanced stage of naviety and childishness that threatens to turn their adult lives into superficial trash. I'd ship them off to gulags and waterboard all of them .

Last edited by John Faulkner; 22-08-2009 at 06:03 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Archive]: I have a question about AT fields eva2000 Evangelion Ezboard archives 0 20-08-2000 11:25 AM
[Archive]: Ask Captain Jake anything about Evangelion!!! eva2000 Evangelion Ezboard archives 0 01-07-2000 04:27 AM
[Archive]: Question about Rei eva2000 Evangelion Ezboard archives 0 01-07-2000 04:24 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.