Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #1   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master
 
cool2burn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14 Jan 2001
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Posts: 2,253
Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Anime series discussion group: Spice and Wolf II

For those who watched the first season i couldnt wait for this to come out. I immensly enjoyed the first season and so far i have not been disappointed by the second^^ I guess i just love the way these 2 interact! So what do you all think about it?




__________________
Kill the Spiders to save the butterflies..............
But by doing this one does not realize that they become the spider.......

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #2   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Ugh, what is this, some kind of furry soft porno?

Firstly, I'm not interested in juvenile love stories and secondly, I'm not enamoured with the idea of slutty fox-woman mutants trying to interbreed with humans.

Give me mature storylines. Give me serious topics like racism and ethnic cleansing. Give me war and famine, natural disasters and social conflict, the dark world of politics and big business, truly evil people and people brave enough to stand up to them.

Don't give me furry soft pornos.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #3   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master
 
cool2burn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14 Jan 2001
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Posts: 2,253
Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Ugh, what is this, some kind of furry soft porno?

Firstly, I'm not interested in juvenile love stories and secondly, I'm not enamoured with the idea of slutty fox-woman mutants trying to interbreed with humans.

Give me mature storylines. Give me serious topics like racism and ethnic cleansing. Give me war and famine, natural disasters and social conflict, the dark world of politics and big business, truly evil people and people brave enough to stand up to them.

Don't give me furry soft pornos.
Ummm agian you dont know what the hell your talking about ^^
__________________
Kill the Spiders to save the butterflies..............
But by doing this one does not realize that they become the spider.......

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #4   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member
 
Project Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 8,330
Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Give me mature storylines. Give me serious topics like racism and ethnic cleansing. Give me war and famine, natural disasters and social conflict, the dark world of politics and big business, truly evil people and people brave enough to stand up to them.
John, I've seen plenty of TV shows and films that tackle "big" and "serious" issues as the ones you've just mentioned they're just bad stories precisely because they're so caught up in those issues. Having "mature" content does not automatically make for a good story.
__________________
Quote:
If by high art you mean it's fun to smoke pot and look at Mike Mignola's art, I'm in total agreement.
- Tom Spurgeon (writer for the comics journal), on whether or not Mike Mignola's Hellboy is high art
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #5   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
John, I've seen plenty of TV shows and films that tackle "big" and "serious" issues as the ones you've just mentioned they're just bad stories precisely because they're so caught up in those issues. Having "mature" content does not automatically make for a good story.
I'm not talking about superficial Hollywood blockbusters made for the brainless masses, poncy arthouse films made by hippies and aimed at stupid pretentious movie geeks, or dumb TV shows designed to please Average Joe with the attention span of a gnat.

I'm talking about hard-hitting films based on reality, or even better, documentaries. You want a good story that isn't faked up for naive consumers? Just look at history. For example, look at World War II. What happened there eclipses what some stupid druggie film director can come up with. For example, look up the story of the John Rabe, which has recently been made into a film. Why doesn't anime look at hard issues such as genocide or the brutality and insanely murderous regimes that dominate war? Why do anime keep feeding us watered-down crap like Gundam so that a whole new generation in Japan grow up thinking war is like some fake reality wrapped in cotton-wool, rather than looking back on their own hideous past and see war for what it really is?

Why isn't anime based more on reality? This all points to anime creators being afraid of reality and running away from life, and trying to seduce naive people into their warped fantasy playground in the name of $$$. After Grave of the Fireflies, which is actually quite mild considering the subject matter, where is the anime equivalent of Waltz with Bashir? I mean, even in the realm of comic books, there is a recent comic (The Unknown Soldier) based on the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda:



You see, this type of material actually encourages you to learn more about reality rather than some silly juvenile fantasy world - for example, more about how the LRA abduct children and brainwash them into killing people, including their own family members, and forcing whole villages to make daily migrations to safe havens deep in the middle of the night, sometimes during thunderstorms. Of course, I knew about the LRA a long time ago because unlike the average moron fed on a diet of trash media and cretinuous social norms, I take an interest in reality.

So bearing all that in mind, when I see some sappy anime centred around a ------- sicko falling in love with a brainless vixen-slut mutant, I am liable to point out how ------- dumb and pointless that is.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #6   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master
 
cool2burn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14 Jan 2001
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Posts: 2,253
Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
I'm not talking about superficial Hollywood blockbusters made for the brainless masses, poncy arthouse films made by hippies and aimed at stupid pretentious movie geeks, or dumb TV shows designed to please Average Joe with the attention span of a gnat.

I'm talking about hard-hitting films based on reality, or even better, documentaries. You want a good story that isn't faked up for naive consumers? Just look at history. For example, look at World War II. What happened there eclipses what some stupid druggie film director can come up with. For example, look up the story of the John Rabe, which has recently been made into a film. Why doesn't anime look at hard issues such as genocide or the brutality and insanely murderous regimes that dominate war? Why do anime keep feeding us watered-down crap like Gundam so that a whole new generation in Japan grow up thinking war is like some fake reality wrapped in cotton-wool, rather than looking back on their own hideous past and see war for what it really is?

Why isn't anime based more on reality? This all points to anime creators being afraid of reality and running away from life, and trying to seduce naive people into their warped fantasy playground in the name of $$$. After Grave of the Fireflies, which is actually quite mild considering the subject matter, where is the anime equivalent of Waltz with Bashir? I mean, even in the realm of comic books, there is a recent comic (The Unknown Soldier) based on the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda:



You see, this type of material actually encourages you to learn more about reality rather than some silly juvenile fantasy world - for example, more about how the LRA abduct children and brainwash them into killing people, including their own family members, and forcing whole villages to make daily migrations to safe havens deep in the middle of the night, sometimes during thunderstorms. Of course, I knew about the LRA a long time ago because unlike the average moron fed on a diet of trash media and cretinuous social norms, I take an interest in reality.

So bearing all that in mind, when I see some sappy anime centred around a ------- sicko falling in love with a brainless vixen-slut mutant, I am liable to point out how ------- dumb and pointless that is.
All i have to say to this is

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS IS A JAPANESE ANIME FORUM?
__________________
Kill the Spiders to save the butterflies..............
But by doing this one does not realize that they become the spider.......

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #7   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master
 
Takahashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19 Mar 2001
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,681
Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Ugh, what is this, some kind of furry soft porno?

Firstly, I'm not interested in juvenile love stories and secondly, I'm not enamoured with the idea of slutty fox-woman mutants trying to interbreed with humans.

Give me mature storylines. Give me serious topics like racism and ethnic cleansing. Give me war and famine, natural disasters and social conflict, the dark world of politics and big business, truly evil people and people brave enough to stand up to them.

Don't give me furry soft pornos.
Replying to you might just be another waste of time, but spice and wolf is far from furry soft pornos.
It never cease to amaze me how you make some really dumb assumptions just by looking at pictures or reading up from some ------ blog instead of forming a real opinion after some viewing. If you stop wasting time trolling forums and instead just give some of the animes a couple of viewing before you start being judgemental, you might find that some are entirely different from what you assume them to be.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #8   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Takahashi View Post
Replying to you might just be another waste of time, but spice and wolf is far from furry soft pornos.
It never cease to amaze me how you make some really dumb assumptions just by looking at pictures or reading up from some ------ blog instead of forming a real opinion after some viewing. If you stop wasting time trolling forums and instead just give some of the animes a couple of viewing before you start being judgemental, you might find that some are entirely different from what you assume them to be.
I didn't look at blogs, I looked up the wiki entry and found out Spice and Wolf is some cretinous love story about a man and an underage beast-girl lupine freak. Therefore, my opinion is a valid one based on fact. Why do I want to watch a furry romance, especially one where the male lead has a fucken dumb name like Kraft Lawrence (what does he do, make cheese or something)? Why would any self-respecting adult want to?

I'm just telling you the harsh truth (like how Pokemon is more mature than The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and how Cardcaptor Sakura is a steaming pile of shite). Don't like it? Tough. Call me what you want, but the truth is unaffected. It's time someone had the guts to tell it how it is, instead of wasting their free speech with mealy-mouthed excuses.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 27-08-2009 at 08:06 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #9   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master
 
Takahashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19 Mar 2001
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,681
Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Apparently a wolf goddess who has lived for hundreds of years, is an underaged little girl, how much of that is accurate when the person who wrote it is a complete moron for overlooking the obvious. Apparently the story has nothing to do with a merchant roaming the land, trying to trade his way up to a better life, but is instead focused on some silly love story(ofcourse there are some interactions, but to say its a total love story is bullocks).

You really should pull your head out of the sand and see things for yourself, instead of reading blatantly lies.

edit: I've read the wiki entry and all I can say I am baffled by how colored your view of the world must be. Nothing you have mentionned here is remotely close to what the article said, please don't go summing up an entire article with the first and last line you read in the synopsis, I doubt you even read the first paragraph let alone the article, so much for the truth.

Last edited by Takahashi; 28-08-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #10   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Takahashi View Post
Apparently a wolf goddess who has lived for hundreds of years, is an underaged little girl, how much of that is accurate when the person who wrote it is a complete moron for overlooking the obvious ...

edit: I've read the wiki entry and all I can say I am baffled by how colored your view of the world must be. Nothing you have mentionned here is remotely close to what the article said, please don't go summing up an entire article with the first and last line you read in the synopsis, I doubt you even read the first paragraph let alone the article, so much for the truth.
Do you trust your eyes? What do you see when you look at this wolf-bitch deity made flesh? Do you see a fearsome, strong independent woman as befits a wolf goddess? NO. Out of all possible forms this goddess could have taken in the anime, you end up with a skinny little wretch who looks like a school-girl and who pines for male companionship. Gee ... I wonder why? Could it possibly be so that a demented type of love can develop between Krafty cheese-boy and slut-spirit? To boost sales and profits in light of the high proportion of gullible, idealistic teenagers/young adults that pollute anime fandom?

And you said you have read the wiki article, so why did you miss these parts:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice_and_Wolf)
Originally Posted by wiki
She appears to be a fifteen-year-old girl, except for a wolf's tail and ears.
Originally Posted by wiki
Throughout the novels, the two slowly fall in love.
Originally Posted by wiki
As the series progresses, both Lawrence and Holo demonstrate a growing affection toward each other.
It's pretty clear that curd and slut will develop feelings for each other during the course of the anime. So you tell me why any self-respecting adult would watch this disgusting relationship between a grown man selling ---- and an underage furry teenage girl, who happens to be a kami (as you were). Are you joking me?

Originally Posted by Takahashi View Post
Apparently the story has nothing to do with a merchant roaming the land, trying to trade his way up to a better life, but is instead focused on some silly love story(ofcourse there are some interactions, but to say its a total love story is bullocks).
It's clear that a juvenile love element is essential to the plot. Why doesn't curd-face just ditch furry-kami-slut-spirit-lupine-freakozoid anyway? Must be a pretty lame merchant if his mind is on a furry romance rather than earning hard cash to build a better future with a member of his own species. The article says cheese gets business help from wolf-child, but he should really get a proper business consultant to help him rather than some random mutant.

Originally Posted by Takahashi View Post
You really should pull your head out of the sand and see things for yourself, instead of reading blatantly lies.
Why is it that anime fans will defend the most blatantly obscene storylines in the name of some warped ideal of creativity and "fun"? No wonder anime gets such a bad press from mature adults. We, as anime fans, should be speaking up loud and clearly against anime that degrade culture and human society, like Spice and Wolf.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 29-08-2009 at 08:12 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #11   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master
 
Takahashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19 Mar 2001
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,681
Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
If you had actually seen the anime you would see that holo is a smart, independ and strong individual who grew tired of centuries of loneliness and just want to hitch a ride to die in her homeland, you glance at a promo art and say that she is a slutty little teenager. I still say you butchered an wiki entry by deliberately omitting key words (he finds in his wagon a pagan wolf-deity girl named Holo who is over six hundred years old. She appears to be a fifteen-year-old girl, except for a wolf's tail and ears.), appears to be does not equall is 15 year old girl, then again I already know you are stuck up on appearance.
Where did the slutty part came into being anyway, did you see that happens, did the writer of that wiki ever mentionned any slutty part I should know about?
Since when is love forbidden in animes anyway, I must have missed that meeting, I'm pretty sure I was glad that this anime didn't turn out to be one of those harem anime, I think they took the love thing very slowly, there is nothing juvenile about it, then again you probably would have disagreed even if they were well in their forties.
Random as ever I see on the merchant thing, eventhough you denied the existence of that part of the story before, you made some blatant lies/assumptions again(maybe just conveniently omitting important details). First off this story takes place in a world much like our middle ages, so holo is the best consultants you're ever gonna get, a deity who has lived for centuries carries a whole lot more weight than a blatant fool who can't even look outside of his box. You missed this part or did you just omit it to make a point(As they travel, her wisdom helps increase his profits, but at the same time, her true nature draws unwanted attention from the church.), apparently Holo is just a dumb slut eey.
Funny thing is, I can only see people speaking up loud and clearly against you, now ain't that ironic. Maybe you do have a point, in which case I suggest you just stop watching anime, cause apparently it is juvenile, more apparently there are more happy animes than the reality crap you are looking for, but most of all there are very few adults who enjoys pokemon as much as you do.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #12   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite
 
dheu's Avatar
 
Join Date: 21 May 2002
Location: Everywhere... and nowhere.
Posts: 1,962
Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Ugh, what is this, some kind of furry soft porno?

Firstly, I'm not interested in juvenile love stories and secondly, I'm not enamoured with the idea of slutty fox-woman mutants trying to interbreed with humans.

Give me mature storylines. Give me serious topics like racism and ethnic cleansing. Give me war and famine, natural disasters and social conflict, the dark world of politics and big business, truly evil people and people brave enough to stand up to them.

Don't give me furry soft pornos.
The problem with you, John Faulkner, is that you'd look at a picture from a series like Now and Then, Here and There and instantly assume that it's a little kiddy show, simply because the main character is a little goody-two-shoes boy and there's a blue-eyed "ice princess" beside him. You'd read the description of Kino's Journey and only be able to see the "talking motorcycle" part, and instantly assume it's an idiotic and childish show with cliche anthropomorphism.

So you'll always miss out on the realistic and/or hard-hitting series, simply because they're packaged in a way that you'll prejudge as being childish and cliche.

It's your own fault if you miss out on the good series simply for prejudging them, though, so there's no point in taking it out on us or the anime industry.

EDIT: Also.... wolf? She's supposed to be a wolf? Isn't that a fox's tail and ears?

I never understood that.
__________________
Run away!

Last edited by dheu; 04-09-2009 at 06:24 PM.
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Animekon.com - [Trailer] Spice and Wolf II trailer News Hound Anime News & Reviews 0 30-06-2009 05:11 PM
[Animenewsnetwork.com] Astro Boy, Blood, Spice and Wolf II Promos Streamed News Hound Anime News & Reviews 0 18-06-2009 03:51 PM
[Animenewsnetwork.com] Spice & Wolf II, FMA Premium, Air Doll Promos Posted News Hound Anime News & Reviews 0 10-06-2009 06:12 PM
[Animenewsnetwork.com] Funimation Acquires Spice and Wolf Fantasy Anime News Hound Anime News & Reviews 0 23-05-2009 05:40 AM
Animekon.com - [News] Spice and Wolf II, Episode 0 Trailer News Hound Anime News & Reviews 0 27-03-2009 08:50 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.