Old 16-02-2009, 01:34 AM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Wink This Ugly Yet Beautiful World

I really don't know what the heck this series is all about. First, the title is kind of weird. Then where is the story going?

I watched disc 1, episodes 1-4. Episode 1 has two teenage boys, a slough named Takeru and his best friend Ryou, who find a naked girl who fell from the sky. She is being chased by monsters. Takeru swears to defend her and turns into a superhero. The girl is named Hikari, and she may not be what she seems to be. In a later episode, Ryou finds his own girl falling from the sky and names her Akari. We also meet Takeru's and Ryou's friends and family, as well as a hard drinking, slutty scientist named Jennifer.

OK, where is this all leading? Who knows? Episodes 2-4 are nothing like episode 1. There are times this is turning into a teen series or a chick anime. But then there is lots of fan service for the guys, and some potential girl-on-girl action. The series contains elements from Mohoromatic Maiden, Elfen Lied, Please Teacher and a few other series. It is kind of a odd mix. I'm going to have to give disc 2 a look before I pass judgement on this one.

If you have any commnet, please no spoilers.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 02:32 AM   #2   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Last year, I tuned in to an episode of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World on a free channel showing anime, because I thought it might be a sort of existential take on the beauty that can be found in a seemingly endless pit of concentrated cruelty. I also noticed that the studio was GAINAX, so I thought it could be a hidden gem.

So I was slightly surprised to see a bunch of stupid kids with scenes of nude bitches frolicking in the showers or something. Yeah, thanks GAINAX.

I didn't watch another episode but the plot may get better as the series progresses. Miracles do happen ... I think.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #3   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I have managed (over say, a 1 year period) to watch half of this anime. I eventually got bored and simply read wiki so I could rest comfortably knowing I wasn't missing a great finale. I suspect the makers simply took all the best elements of a variety of anime and mashed em together into that. Which is a bit like taking chocolate, bacon, icecream, and sweet'n'sour pork at the same time.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Last year, I tuned in to an episode of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World on a free channel showing anime, because I thought it might be a sort of existential take on the beauty that can be found in a seemingly endless pit of concentrated cruelty. I also noticed that the studio was GAINAX, so I thought it could be a hidden gem.

So I was slightly surprised to see a bunch of stupid kids with scenes of nude bitches frolicking in the showers or something. Yeah, thanks GAINAX.

I didn't watch another episode but the plot may get better as the series progresses. Miracles do happen ... I think.
I didn't get to that episode yet. I should get disc 2 tomorrow. If the plot does not develop, at least I have something to look forward to.
Old 20-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #5   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by MeMyself View Post
I didn't get to that episode yet. I should get disc 2 tomorrow. If the plot does not develop, at least I have something to look forward to.
I think it happened quite early on in the series: basically this blond bitch getting nude with this younger bitch in the shower. For a minute there, I thought I was watching hentai. Then Elfen Lied came on after this and I saw more naked bitches, this time flying through the air and being sliced and diced. I thought the channel was having a Nude Bitches special.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
I think it happened quite early on in the series: basically this blond bitch getting nude with this younger bitch in the shower. For a minute there, I thought I was watching hentai. Then Elfen Lied came on after this and I saw more naked bitches, this time flying through the air and being sliced and diced. I thought the channel was having a Nude Bitches special.
Oh, yes, I remember that scene. Actually, in Japan bathing with others is quite common. Although that scene was a bit weird and came close to crossing the line into hentai territory.
Old 23-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I've finished disc 2, episodes 5-8. I'm not going to bother watching the Japanese version with subtitles because it really does not add anything that the English version already has. Besides, the episodes do get kind of long at times when you watch the second time through.

Anyway, Takeru, Hikari, Ryou, Akari and all their friends are having innocent teenage fun -- with a bit of fan service. Love is in the air. But still I am left wondering exactly where this series is going. We finally get to the point at the end of episode 8 -- the world is coming to an end!

There's one more disc left, so I might as well finish the series.
Old 28-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #8   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs up

I have now finished the series. For episodes 1-8, the series really dicked around with the plot. (Yes, there is a plot.) With episode 9, they finally get to the point. Everything they have been hinting at comes around. And with the final two episodes, the series does finish strongly.

So what happens? All I will tell you is that it comes down to either the earth being destroyed or love winning over destruction. Nothing is certain. It is not even clear if Takeru or Hikari will survive, and if they do in what form. The series does fall into clichés sometimes, but you really don't know which cliché they will use.

Anyway, if you can make it through the first 8 episodes, the series does have a strong ending which makes sitting through the rest of the series worthwhile. It took the entire series to make up my mind, but I will recommend it.

Last edited by MeMyself; 28-02-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 24-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #9   [permalink]
mangatallin

i remember watching this anime some time ago, i can't really remember what its about, but i remember it being quite good.